Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #1

Old lenses on K-x

Hi! I have 2 lenses for my K1000, but am thinking about using them on a yet to be purchased K-x body. Will this require an adapter? What is it called? What are the limitations of such an approach?

01-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which lenses? If they are Pentax bayonet mount (not a screw on htreaded mount) they should be fine. If they are not the Pentax brand, they may jam the camera. (almost all are OK).

You would have to use the K-x in manual mode.....but coming from film you might prefer that anyways (I do)

PS....welcome to Pentax Forums....I used to live in Connecticut.....would be nice to see some shots posted on the site..
01-07-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
You would have to use the K-x in manual mode.....but coming from film you might prefer that anyways (I do)
You don't have to use manual mode, if they're SMC-A lenses.
01-07-2010, 12:59 AM   #4

Original Poster
Original K-mounts

Thanks, guys! You are really fast on this forum!!

It's an SMC 50 mm and a Vivitar 70-210 mm that has no problems on my K1000. Does that mean it would work OK on the K-x?

And, yes, I want to work in manual mode. I've never trusted camera electronics , which is why I went with the 1000 back in '78 when the electronics were getting off the ground. Besides, that being said, I find it more meditative for landscapes and portraits. But the K-x kit lens would bring me up to speed overall for when I want it and would give me a wide angle.

I just got into digital in August with a Kodak P&S and I've had so much to learn digitally that I'm afraid my only outdoor images are from Maine (where I'm from) and Nevada! (Can you post images to the forum threads?)

01-07-2010, 01:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K1000 is a K-mount, MF & ME camera. If you've got Pentax-K, Pentax-M or M42 lenses, the following link may help:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/84892-decription-p...abilities.html

On the K-x, you need to set menu option C4 - 22. "Using Aperture Ring" to Permitted to use the old lenses. You can leave this set for all lenses - old & new.
01-07-2010, 01:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
Dan, thank YOU!! This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to find after my unsuccessful attempts to Google a satisfactory result!! MORE than I'd hoped, in fact!

But the link to focusing screens leads to another question: Do they go in the viewfinder?
01-07-2010, 01:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeekStyle59 Quote
Dan, thank YOU!! This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to find after my unsuccessful attempts to Google a satisfactory result!! MORE than I'd hoped, in fact!

But the link to focusing screens leads to another question: Do they go in the viewfinder?
The focusing screen is directly above the mirror. Katz Eye Optics is supposedly developing one for the k-x.

01-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by GeekStyle59 Quote
Thanks, guys! You are really fast on this forum!!

It's an SMC 50 mm and a Vivitar 70-210 mm that has no problems on my K1000. Does that mean it would work OK on the K-x?
In the case of the Vivitar 70-210, if it's the same model I have, you will have to do some surgery to make it fit. My Vivitar 70-210 which fit perfectly on a Super Program and Program Plus, would not fit on the K-x. I had to trim the flange with a hack saw to make it work. It was not very difficult and it works fine now. I could post some pictures later if that would help.

Les
01-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #9

Here are a couple of pictures illustrating what I had to do to make the Vivitar 70-210 fit the K-x.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
01-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
Forum Member

I believe this is the first lens modding post I've ever seen on PF. Props!

I'm sure you already did this, but I would double check that any rough edges that may exist on the lens are properly filed and polished down. Wouldn't want to scratch up that K-x!!
01-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also see the sticky thread at the top of this very forum for detailed step by step instructions on using manual lenses with a Pentax DSLR.
01-08-2010, 03:12 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Sasquatch Quote
I believe this is the first lens modding post I've ever seen on PF. Props!

I'm sure you already did this, but I would double check that any rough edges that may exist on the lens are properly filed and polished down. Wouldn't want to scratch up that K-x!!
I didn't have anything on hand to polish the edges. I did make sure that the piece was completely clean (no filings), and I used a sharpie marker to colour the edges in order to prevent any reflections from the cut edge. I suppose I really should find a way to polish it smooth though.
01-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #13

Original Poster
Man, you guys are incrdible! Thanks so much for all your help. I never even saw the sticky on using manual lenses -- thanks, it's helped a lot, too.

Thank you one and all for your contributions!