Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2010, 02:05 AM   #1
alphalt

K-x firmware upgare issue (nearly broken my camera)

Hello,

Yesterday I've tried to update firmware for my K-x to 1.01 from here Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX.
So what I did ? I have 3 days old original lithium batteries from the box and the are still "green" and I was fully sure that it will hold for 2-3 minutes to update. So I took my Sandisk 4GB Extreme III card from camera, put it into card reader, delete images, write firmware file and put card back to camera. I turn on camera while holding 'Menu' button and it ask me if I want to update to 1.01. I choose yes and see 'Updating... Phase 1/2' and progress bar. And nothing happens for 5-6 minutes. Progress bar is the same and the same phase 1/2. So it was obvious that something is wrong. I just risked my life and turned off the camera maybe about 10 minutes later from start. Then turn camera again and everything works like before with the same old firmware 1.00. Have any of you any idea what could be wrong ? I've read on forums that I need to format SD card, but it was formatted before and I just deleted pictures and didn't format again. But If format would be wrong my camera wouldn't ask me if I want to go to firmware 1.01.
So please give me some advice what was wrong and how to update firmware by not broking my camera.
Many thanks.

Regards,
alpha

01-17-2010, 02:10 AM   #2
Damn Brit

It's good policy to format the card after you have downloaded any images from it to your computer. You should format the card and try the firmware update again.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 01-17-2010 at 02:16 AM.
01-17-2010, 02:28 AM   #3
alphalt

Hello,

Thanks for fast reply. I'm new here and its very nice to get help from professionals.
One question: could I damage my camera somehow by turning it of when it hung in update process ? Now everything is working fine, but could it be some damage made in existing firmware ?
I ask these questions because don't know what to do if second time I get the same issue.
Now I need to way fully discharge my batteries then charge some alkalines and try again.
01-17-2010, 04:25 AM   #4
Damn Brit

It should be OK although I don't think anyone on the forum is qualified to say so categorically. If you are that concerned, you would need to contact Pentax.
I believe you need to load the new firmware because it fixes the issue with battery problems.
Just make sure you have fully charged batteries and that the card is formatted.

01-17-2010, 04:28 AM   #5

Update process 1/2 is backing up old firmware/settings imo. If it hanged during phase 2/2, you'd have a problem (brick). But don't take this as granted, it's just a guess (it's similar in bios updates).
01-17-2010, 04:35 AM   #6
alphalt

Hi,

Thanks for replies. I'll try to update firmware again later when fully charge batteries. I'll let you know about success here in the forum.
01-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
alphalt

Happy end of the story: I formatted SD card inside the camera from the menu, then connected camera with USB cable to PC, downloaded *.bin file to camera and made update. Everything went ok. Phase 1/2 was normally with progress bar, the same for phase 2/2 and at the end I get message completed. Then restarted camera and it shows 1.01 firmware and everything works fine.
By the way, for this process I use PC with Ubuntu linux and no problem. Downloaded file version for windows, extracted it and just downloaded to camera. No problems at all. Anyway *.bin file is the same for windows or for MAC or for linux. Actually its for Pentax .
Thank you all for help.

P.S. I'm happy to be a part of Pentax users family

Regards,
alpha