Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2010, 03:47 AM   #1

Recommendations for camera bag?

I'm on the market for a good camera bag for my K-X kit during traveling. Can I get some recommendations for one that will hold a small kit (i.e. my K-X, standard zoom, maybe telephoto lens, extra batteries, and maybe some personal things - cell phone, keys, wallet)?

Not looking for something big at all - ideally something I can swing over the shoulders and carry around comfortably on a nice long walk around the streets of New York and highlands of Scotland. I'd want something that can offer a good deal of protection without sacrificing looks and comfort.

Thanks!!

02-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #2

I can recommend the Lowpro Fastpack. It stores you camera equipment in a section in the bottom and has a separate section in the top to carry any other things that you may need to take with you for the day. It is very comfy to carry and is very well made. I have had mine since last summer that replaced a similar bag I got over 25 years ago. It is also accepted by airlines as hand baggage.
02-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #3

i bought tamrac adventure 4. cos it was the cheapest and a reasonable quality messenger bag i could get hold of. $50. Its got adjustable straps and a great deal of room. Other suggestions that were posted in my queries for bags were tenba and packsum. but those cost twice or more. Upto you how much want to shell out.
02-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A Billingham Hadley or somewhat bigger, Hadley Pro, would fit the bill. Highly unobtrusive, made to last and very good camera protection against rain etc. We have two of those and they are excellent.

Ben

02-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Adorama has a really good deal for the Kata DR-466 with a National Geographic monopod for $69.99. I paid that much just for the bag! Link: http://bit.ly/cnZML0

For a solo trip to Washington, D.C, I used this backpack during all my walks around the city. I will be taking this backpack with me on my Japan trip next month as well. Even while carrying some heavy equipment, the backpack on the felt well balanced on my shoulders. Clipping on the cross-strap across my chest further helped distribute the load, allowing me to walk comfortably for hours.

Just to give you an idea of how much this seemingly small backpack can carry, I'll just list everything I took during my trip.

The bottom half of the backpack, accessible from the front, stored my old K20D, DA* 16-50mm, DA 10-17 fisheye, and a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 lens.

This bag also has multiple pockets and large zipper in the upper half. I stored a Metz flash, portable reflector, spare batteries, keys, maps, and other knickknacks in the top compartment. In the small zipper pockets, I stored some Cokin filters, adapter rings, and a filter holder, remote releases, spare SD cards, and sunscreen.

There is even a water-bottle holder on the side, though I actually used this to carry a small portable tripod.

As if that wasn't enough, there's also a laptop sleeve at the back of the backpack that I stored my MacBook in.

I was able to store all of this stuff in the DR-466 and still stow it beneath my seat on the airplane as carry-on luggage; that should give you a good indicator of the size of this backpack. The best part is that the sleek look of the Kata bag doesn't immediately make you recognizable as someone that might have some expensive equipment (though carrying the tripod on the side sort of eliminates that illusion).

If in heavy torrential rain, you can also use the included rain jacket. It's incredibly yellow, so I don't like to use it, but it's there if you get caught in a downpour.

- Jason
02-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #6

I bought this bag for light weight travels. I has more then enough room for my two lens kit k-x setup and many pockets for accessories.

Newegg.com - DOLICA WB Series WB-3592 Case
02-22-2010, 02:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I use a non-camera carrier, an across-the-shoulder teardrop-shaped Ameribag. I started using such after having my pocket picked in Guatemala (he got my nearly-empty wallet, not my point-n-shoot -- whew). Local expats carry this bag and run a steel cable all the way around the body and through the strap, to foil bike-riding thieves with sharp knives who specialize in slice-and-grabs. The bag can be worn across the back, or quickly slipped in front for access or to cradle defensively in one arm. Held in front, it's easy to nonchalantly nestle a big camera (like my K20D with a wide zoom) for unobtrusive street shooting.

(Well, fairly unobtrusive. I'm pale, silver-haired and 6'4" / 1.9m tall, so it's not like I exactly BLEND IN with Hispanic or Mayan populations.)

What can the bag carry? A Sony Vaio mini-laptop OR the K20D with (usually) the DA 18-250, DA10-17, FA50; Zeiss Ikonta 6x6 folder and film, Sekonic meter; Sony DSC-V1 digicam, filters; Icom IC-R2 commo receiver, voice recorder, batteries for all; solar-powered calculator (the universal translator!); notepad, pens, small dictionary, wallet, etc. All valuables fit into inside pockets, so if the bag is slashed, only ziplocs containing batteries and paper will fall out (the laptop or K20D are clipped to an inside ring). If the laptop is in the bag, the K20D is usually around my neck, though it *can* be forced inside also.

The zipped outside pocket contains cellphone, Leatherman, rescue scissors, compass, knife-fork-spoon set, collapsing cup, eyeglass repair kit, thermometer, Bic lighters, fold-up kite, ocarina, guitar slide & picks, etc. The velcroed outer pocket holds generic medications, hand sanitizer, Deet, toilet tissue, lens cleaner, bandanna, string bag, nylon twine, electrical tape, extra baggies, etc. Another thin outside pocket holds a pint bottle of water or aguardiente (ultra-cheap rum, good as disinfectant). A slit pocket gets maps etc stuffed into it. All this inventory is just to give you an idea of the capacity of this not-overly-large bag.

(All that stuff is in the bag because 1] I want/need it, and 2] where I go, it may not be prudent to have ANYTHING in pockets or on a belt.)

For a full load, it's good to have padding added to the strap. My bag is light woven nylon; I ScotchGard the outside regularly to render the bag pretty water-resistant (but electronic devices usually are stuffed in baggies, just in case, when I'm in a wet zone). The original full-length access zipper wore out after a few years, so for US$15 I had a local (Calif) cobbler install a heavy-duty replacement.

Why the Ameribag? Back in the day, I used an over-the-shoulder CAMERA bag, which accumulated more and more stuff. Ugh. More recently I've used backpacks, but these can be clumsy to access, and they aren't easily defensible in crowded places. The messenger-type bags I've seen have been too heavy AND insecure. Non-leather Ameribags are light and come in various sizes -- you might want a smaller model than mine. They don't LOOK like camera or computer bags. They're worth considering. I carry mine everywhere.

02-22-2010, 04:41 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am not going to advise on a specific bag, but I do advise you to get a backpack style, rather than a shoulder strap style. I used to get a bad shoulder with even a light-ish shoulder style bag, but with my Lowepro backpack I don't notice the strain at all.

Maybe I am just getting old !
02-22-2010, 07:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I am not going to advise on a specific bag, but I do advise you to get a backpack style, rather than a shoulder strap style. I used to get a bad shoulder with even a light-ish shoulder style bag, but with my Lowepro backpack I don't notice the strain at all.

Maybe I am just getting old !
Though I have several backpacks in different sizes, I would not recommend that for a small load. Way too slow in use and also - when shooting in the city – quite obvious, that you carry camera gear, if you have to take out your equipment (yes, I also have a slingbag...) A small shoulder bag is just less obvious and much faster to use. But ofcourse that wholly depends on the way you work.

Ben

Last edited by Ben_Edict; 02-22-2010 at 01:20 PM.
02-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here is a website which allows you to compare styles and manufactures.

CAMBAGS.COM Camera bag review resource for Canon and Nikon D-slr cameras

Good luck on your quest for the perfect bag.

Tim
02-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there is no perfect bag! small things to consider as I have just gone through this process

Fast access= easy access to pickpockets (not a problem where I'm shooting but worth considering) there are packs with access to the gear only from the side facing your back, so pick pockets don't have access while your wearing your pack.

Sling bags= awesome convenience but if you carry lot/large glass can be tiresome (I have a sling Lowepro AW200 and I'm stoked for just walking about)

If you a bag to carry gear AND camera Gear consider some Lowe bags or mountainsmith or clik elite

I mtn bike/ski, and when I do I just put a small sleek camera bag inside of my camelbak or ski daypack.

good luck!