Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Beginners question about noise (clunk) in a Pentax DSLR

Just bought a Pentax K7.

This might be a stupid question as i am new to the modern functions of present DLSRs, but i would be very happy if someone would leave a comment just the same

When i turn it in my hand something inside goes slight "clunk", like some object
is shifting inside. I have an idea this may be the Shake reduction system, or something connected to it.

If another K7 owner could attest to the same i would be relieved.

Best regards.

DV8

03-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perfectly normal. actually you'll find a reference in the owners manual regarding this.

The sensor is on a magnetic "floating' chasis and this is for the shake reduction and dust removal systems.

Breath out, your camera is fine. or I have 4 that have issues....
03-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
nice question!! And thanks Peter for the answer, when I finally bite-the-bullet and get a K7 I would probably not have even read the manual yet so would have assumed whatever carrier, killed my new toy!!
03-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OK, this one seems worth sticking. This question has been asked at least once a week for the last three years; maybe having a sticky note here will slow that down.

03-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
OK, this one seems worth sticking. This question has been asked at least once a week for the last three years; maybe having a sticky note here will slow that down.
REALLLLLY? Wow...people had the K-7 3-yrs ago? hehehehe...
03-19-2010, 02:30 AM   #6
DV8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Confirming my suspicion:

Thank you all for replying!

This was what i thought it might be, but i am grateful for you guys taking the time to confirm it for me.

This forum is a quite big one so placing a sticky tab on it might be a good idea if the question is a reoccuring one. Had a tough time thinking out what to search for to find similar threads, not knowing the possible cause, and to make matters worse i was a bit impatient having a new dslr and wanting to know that all was well..

Best regards..

DV8
03-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
REALLLLLY? Wow...people had the K-7 3-yrs ago? hehehehe...
Yeah, yeah. That's why I changed the title, too. But for the record, the K100D was the first Pentax DSLR with SR, and it was launched in 2006. I imagine the first thread on this topic came about 10 minutes later :-)

03-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Yeah, yeah. That's why I changed the title, too. But for the record, the K100D was the first Pentax DSLR with SR, and it was launched in 2006. I imagine the first thread on this topic came about 10 minutes later :-)
hahahaha ....I just couldn't pass it up...it was just sitting there ripe for the picking!! I do know what ya mean about certain topics coming up all the time.

For me I don't think I ever noticed a noise related to the SR but then again I just noticed the soft ratcheting noise all my limited's make when being focused, talking manually here because it's so soft you probably would never notice it over the AF screw.
03-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Ahhhhh, the old "clunk" question......... what's the reason?
03-20-2010, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The funny thing is that the first thing I do when I get a new camera is not shake it to see if it rattles. Maybe I am old school, but if I take photos and they look good, I am pretty satisfied.
03-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It's new diaphragm engine, not SR system.
03-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Not sure what you mean by that. Perhaps there is an *additional* sound you are referring to, but this thread is about sound made by the SR system.
03-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The funny thing is that the first thing I do when I get a new camera is not shake it to see if it rattles. Maybe I am old school, but if I take photos and they look good, I am pretty satisfied.
then again, you likely did not receive your camera via mail orderway back then either. Me? I make sure whatever I receive is fully functional the moment it arrives. A light shake is a prudent part of the process if it is appropriate. Kinda makes sense to listen for any broken parts floating around inside the device, yes? And just in case you are a bit curious, it really does happen to some of us.
04-08-2010, 01:06 AM   #14
Forum Member

I think someone already replied with the same but..

The sensor is on a magnetic "floating' chasis and this is for the shake reduction and dust removal systems.
04-08-2010, 01:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kunaalbhasin Quote
I think someone already replied with the same but..

I think that about 10 people replied with that in the last hour. :-P

The noise frightened me a bit too when I first heard it, but I never have heard it with any other body based SR type cameras. I wonder why that is.