Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help 540 flash stuck on vacation?

okay limited time. Most know I am on vacation. Limited internet on iPhone search takes to long. Have 540 flash on k10 now stuck I know issues with pin lock posted can some respond short answers how do I get it off? Please help with suggestions . I am okay with it stuck but a pain carrying. Will check back in a while as AT&T service available in San Juan. Thanks

04-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
JMS

From what I've found, you ca try to get it off by A) Jiggle the flash as you pull it out or B) Turn the camera upside down while taking it out- the pin isn't spring loaded. If neither works, you're gonna have to wait till you get back to send it in to Pentax.
04-22-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JMS Quote
From what I've found, you ca try to get it off by A) Jiggle the flash as you pull it out or B) Turn the camera upside down while taking it out- the pin isn't spring loaded. If neither works, you're gonna have to wait till you get back to send it in to Pentax.
thanks jms no luck! Ughhh any other suggestions?
04-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Just a guess: If you have access to those metal spacers for the ignition plugs, you could try to insert one between the camera's hotshoe and the flash to see if you can lift the pin.

04-22-2008, 10:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

find a jeweler who can remove the foot (turn flash and camera upside down) and remove the pin forever! Don't try to force it, the pin is the strongest component in the flashgun!
04-23-2008, 03:40 AM   #6
Forum Member

Excellent suggestion by HGMonaro - foot is held on by 4 screws relatively easily reached with a reasonably long shafted phillips (size 0 [zero] head) screwdriver. The long shaft is needed to allow the handle to clear the camera body.

Once the foot is removed the pin can be lifted with the screwdriver tip to get the flash off the camera - make sure the foot is pushed right fowards in the shoe socket to take side loads off the pin.

Rod
04-27-2008, 06:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hi guys ! Well the trip was awesome. I am waiting for customs and thought I would check in. Never got the flash off but that is okay as it was better to have stuck on then not able to use. Got some great shots and the flash helped in many. Catch you all later thanks again