Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #1

AF 360 FGZ flash won't zoom

My 360 flash won't zoom and makes a weird noise when I try to manually change it. When it did work it was pretty loud when it zoomed. anyone else have this problem?

06-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Hi andyhewitt3

Check out this link:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/24088-af360-fgz...tml#post208969

QuoteQuote:
Just sent my second AF360-FGZ back to Pentax for non function of zoom. This one lasted six months, used only a handful of times. The first one I got came broken so had it exchanged at the shop, this time I have to wait 5 weeks.....Before buying the flash I read reports of flimsy battery door that keeps coming open, which mine does. For £200 I expect higher quality than this. Sorry about the rant..had to tell someone.
And concerning the AF360-FGZ's bigger brother:

a) Well, AF540FGZ has its own problems, like zoom or getting stuck.

b) The AF540FGZ is nowhere near the quality it should be. I was expecting you to say that your flash's zoom had jammed at 16mm as so many have complained about in the past.

c) I have one AF540FGZ that has had zero issues, and the other has had an intermittent jamming of the zoom mechanism and a complete P-TTL failure.

And additionally regarding some Sigma models:

Sigma EF500 - Zoom Problems:

QuoteQuote:
The whole zoom assembly jamming for whatever reason after a few dozen shots. I put this down the materials used in its manufacture expanding with the heat. It causes an unpleasant grinding noise.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it appears that your problem is not totally unique !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 06-22-2008 at 03:26 PM.
06-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
I was expecting you to say that your flash's zoom had jammed at 16mm as so many have complained about in the past.
Actually, I think that it is stuck at 16mm. So this is a common problem?? dang it.

Anybody taken it apart and found it to be an easy fix?
06-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi again andyhewitt3

Re your question:

QuoteQuote:
Anybody taken it apart and found it to be an easy fix?
Sorry, but I don't own this particular AF360-FGZ flashgun, so can't really comment ! I suppose you could always take a pick-axe to it....lol ! Seriously though, I'm sorry to read about your unfortunate plight, but perhaps you can understand why I opted for the Metz 48 AF-1 flashgun instead, as it appears to have less "issues" than either of these Pentax units. It's head also swivels in the vertical or "portrait" mode, which the AF360-FGZ doesn't......design-wise, a particularly stupid omission, if you ask me ! I hope others on this forum might be able to offer some helpful advice in this matter ? I recently found THESE two items on the subject:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/14722-metz-48-a...tml#post118266

QuoteQuote:
I just realized one scenario where the 360 can appear to be stuck in manual zoom.
If you enter manual zoom mode, and then pull out the front diffuser panel, then it will be locked to 20mm and pressing the manual zoom button will do nothing. Simply pushing the front diffusion panel back in will make the zoom button work again. Just mentioning in case it could be this.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/117731-post3.html

QuoteQuote:
I have a Pentax AF360FGZ which is stuck in the manual zoom mode and won't respond to the zoom button. I hope to have that corrected by the Pentax Service Dept., but being naturally pessimistic I'm not going to hold my breath.
Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 06-23-2008 at 04:58 AM.
06-28-2008, 12:58 PM   #5

Original Poster
well, I smacked the flash against my hand fairly sharply and it seemed to do the trick. still sounds weird though. Fully expect it to crap out again shortly. Probably will send it in then. Thanks for your input Confused.
06-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi andyhewitt3

QuoteQuote:
Well, I smacked the flash against my hand fairly sharply and it seemed to do the trick.
....which brings fresh meaning to the commonly-used expression "smack head"......lol !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 06-30-2008 at 03:12 PM.
06-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by andyhewitt3 Quote
My 360 flash won't zoom and makes a weird noise when I try to manually change it. When it did work it was pretty loud when it zoomed. anyone else have this problem?
Andy:

I experienced similar difficulties with my AF360FGZ. I sent it back to their repair center in Colorado (?) with an explanation of the problem, and it was returned in perfect working order in about two weeks. I was very favorably impressed with their service and turnaround time.

CN