Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2008, 05:36 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For those that are considering radio flash triggers. FlashWaves

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

A few months ago I posted looking for info on flash triggers. V2's had me nervous. I'd been using cables (and/or optical triggers) or wireless to that point. V2's had too may reports of "they work fine and only misfire 5% of the time" or sync speed issues and the like.
If my camera misfired 5% of the time, I'd shoot Nikon.

So after some excellent advice from a few members here and a 2 day training session in studio where the Pro used these, I thought I'd share a mini-review.

Pw's and the like are great from all reports but just too damn expensive. I mean really, I can buy an iPhone for less than a transmitter and it does a hellava lot more.

So I bought some FlashWaves. (Thanks to Genes Pentax and others for some great advice). Some parts were bought here on the forum and the rest on the site he provided here: G9Chon - FlashWaves

So the company shipped what I needed in less than a week and answered my emails quickly. A+ place to buy.

The triggers themselves. I have more flashes than I really need but primarily use 2 x AF360's and an AF540. Added to that are 2 x AF400T's (can't beat that sucker for power). I have 1 transmitter and 3 receivers from FlashWaves. Add a couple of stands and various umbrellas and you have a great, portable studio.

So I've used the FlashWaves at 3 weddings in the past month and a number of on-site portrait shooting jobs. After a few thousand shots, not one issue with firing or sync speed. Actually my only gripe would be the AF360/540 units going to sleep in too short a time. That's why the AF400T's are so great. Powerful and when hooked up to either AC or a quantum battery, they stay on all day with much faster recycle times. Plus they work TTL with my *istD.*

For the money (a lot less than the 'better' brands), you get a totally reliable system (indoors and out) with long range, perfect sync and 100% firing rate. I almost never have the flash on camera now and shoot manual (no P-TTL issues) with a flash meter (a must have if you want to do this in a bigger way).

Last note, the FlashWaves come with every adapter you need already in the box. You can buy a few old flashes that have a sync cable port and the Flashwaves kit is prepared for them. The receivers have hotshoes on them so basically any old flash will do just fine. Plus it has shoe adapters for stand heads and a bunch of other parts for mounting. They don't list an input voltage but I'd assume they were engineered to take higher voltages. So if you had an old Vivitar 283 which would normally fry the camera after a bit of use, these take the flash off the camera to use safely.

Great system thus far, a 10 out of 10.

* I have this conversation with myself over and over again. Buy a K20D to go with my K10D.*istD setup or get a couple more used *istD's as backups. Great camera and having TTL is so darn nice. Still takes a fine shot.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 07-19-2009 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Can't spell thread titles :(
07-12-2008, 05:47 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Great review Peter, and certainly something that is becoming more relavent to me as I'm starting to go down the same road you have already traveled, wanting to experiment more with my inner strobist. I actually just purchased an AlienBee800 (to accompany my 360/540 combo) from a member here and I have since been contemplating my different triggering options. From reading different reviews and forums it's hard not to lust after the PWs, but its easy to be appalled by the price.

These look like a great option and certainly something I will explore. I like the hot shoe connection, no need for a sync port on your flash....

BTW, what light meter do you use?? Since I am exploring that as well.....

Thanks again!
07-12-2008, 06:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Ben, I have a Polaris Flash Meter. it doesn't have a model number but is an ambient and flash meter unit. Easy to operate and very accurate IMO. Picked it up online for under $100. Once you're setup and take a reading, you don't need it after that, but it makes things faster and much more accurate. I'll post a couple of pics of the stuff later on.

I hear the AlienBee's are great units. Maybe you can post some thoughts on those after a few months.
07-12-2008, 06:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Here's the meter here: POLARIS FLASH METER -Digital Exposure Meter-MINT - (eBay.ca item 120280632708 end time 13-Jul-08 20:37:20 EDT) I have no affilation to the seller (I'd want the manual tho).

07-12-2008, 06:42 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Thanks for that info Peter.

The member I got the AlienBee unit from was selling this same meter but somebody had purchased it before I realized it was even available. I'll watch ebay and hopefully pick one up around that price.

I haven't got the Bee yet, but I'm very excited to put it through it's paces. I've heard nothing but good things. Paul C Buff (AlienBee founder) actually just released a line of radio triggers that are pretty reasonable priced, but I can't find much in the way of reviews.

I was wondering if you explored Elinchrome skyports at all? They are similarly priced (actually look to be a little cheaper) to the Flashwaves. They seem to have garnered a fairly good following. They lack the hot-shoe connection to flashes, but that's not a huge issue to me. Like I said I'm still in the "exploring my options" phase, so if you have any thoughts I love to hear what you think of these.
07-12-2008, 06:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I looked at the Skyports and the lack of a hotshoe did matter to me. I want total flexiblity. Who knows what new toy might get added to the kit a year from now. For example, I have a Sunpak 322 with a swivel head. Good little flash (don't ask how many flashes are in that box) and I can just put it on the floor behind a subject with the trigger to light up a background. Plus it makes using the AF400T's easier.

Second reason was easier to get a better package deal. Last all the extra parts in the box. Add the cost of getting them seperately and the FlashWaves seemed a no-brainer.
07-12-2008, 07:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bookmarked.

I'm getting tired of waiting for the Radiopopper folks to put out some info on the release of the Radiopopper Jr. I definitely want a reliable and affordable trigger and two receivers before November.

07-12-2008, 07:40 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Yeah I've been watching and waiting for the radio poppers Jr's as well, but progress seems limited based on what they say on their website...
07-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Peter,
I have been meaning to email you but now you just reminded me to ask. How accurate is the istD with ttl as apposed to the K10 with dttl? One of the major issues I've had with the K10 and 530 & 360 flashes is the accuracy. Thanks in advance.
07-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Kent, Frankly the *istD is my flash camera for events. That is to say, when I want a flash on camera. I use the AF400T (side mounted) with that camera. It is a no brainer. Shoot and don't even think about the exposures when things are moving quickly.
For other stuff when there is more time to use a flash meter or chimp, the AF 360/540 is fine. But you really need to use those flashes with either +0.5 in P-TTL or in manual mode (which is how I use them 75% of the time). One thing with the AF360/540 that does work well for me is the daylight fill flash use. Since it will slightly underexpose, it does a great job for this. The shot doesn't look like a flash shot.

So basically, pick your uses and know your lens/camera/flash combinations.

Overall the *istD with AF280/AF330/AF400/AF400T/AF500 is a great second camera system that makes speed flash shooting easier and more accurate.

If you can find an AF400T with a Quantum battery and cables, the 1-2 second recycle time in Auto TTL is so nice.
07-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Peter,
Thanks for the answere. It was just sort of what I had thought. Dumb A** that I am I sold my af400t flash several years ago. Oh well I see them and the af400 & af 500 flashes at KEH pretty often. I may just have to get one as I already have a istD and a K10D plus 16-50 and 50-135 lenses and I shoot a lot of events. Thanks again.
07-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks Peter. You've saved me a lot of research time. Dave
07-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Bookmarked.

I'm getting tired of waiting for the Radiopopper folks to put out some info on the release of the Radiopopper Jr. I definitely want a reliable and affordable trigger and two receivers before November.
RadioPopper Blog RadioPopper Jr.
07-13-2008, 06:39 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
NP DaveF. if you have any questions, Just post here.
07-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #15

You can set you 540 to not power off. I forget how, but it's in the manual.