Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K100DS battery grip

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've always found the K100D Super a little small for a proper grip. My baby finger had no place to land, and this caused a balance problem with larger lenses. I also found the look a bit ungainly with the 18-250mm mounted. With the 18-250 and Sigma 530 Super flash, the camera looked tiny. I decided a battery grip would be a good solution and I found this one on eBay Canada:
battery grip for Pentax K100D super K110D - (eBay.ca item 350081772762 end time 28-Jul-08 16:26:47 EDT)

The grip arrived today. It was a smooth transaction and I left positive feedback for the selller. Here's what it looks like according to my A720:

- smooth comfortable grip, room for all of my fingers
- 1000 shot capacity
- bulk added with very little weight
- camera looks more balanced with large lenses and especially flash
- lens doesn't fall forward in carry position. i.e. with the strap around my neck, the lens points straight ahead
- charges in wall outlet or car
- easy to fit and remove, equivalent to changing batteries
- reasonable cost

Niggles:
- fit and finish is OK, could be better, especially the slot for the battery compartment door
- with large lenses, camera tips forward when set down
- larger than it needs to be for good grip

All in all. I'm quite pleased with my purchase. It delivers well on the main points; comfortable grip and extended battery life.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-17-2009 at 10:55 PM.
07-26-2008, 03:59 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have been looking for a grip for my K100DS for months, they are like rocking horse ****, very elusive Especially in the UK. Anyhow I came across this the other day Ansmann P-100 Battery Grip for Pentax K100D, K110D & K200D - Only £59.00 - SRS Microsystems. very similar to yours audiobomber, but made by Ansmann and available in the UK. Thanks for jogging my memory

Mick

Last edited by wlank; 07-27-2008 at 04:48 AM.
07-26-2008, 05:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by serendipity Quote
I have been looking for a grip for my K100DS for months, they are like rocking horse ****, very elusive Especially in the UK. Anyhow I came across this the other day Ansmann P-100 Battery Grip for Pentax K100D, K110D & K200D - Only £59.00 - SRS Microsystems. very similar to yours audiobomber, but made by Ansmann and available in the UK. Thanks for jogging my memory
Rather pricey, wot? Here's the Travor branded grip I bought, from the same seller. It's listed on eBay UK for less than half the price of the Ansmann; only £25.13.

battery grip for Pentax K100D super K110D on eBay, also Other, Digital Camera Accessories, Camera Accessories, Cameras Photo (end time 28-Jul-08 21:26:47 BST)

Last edited by wlank; 07-27-2008 at 04:52 AM.
07-26-2008, 05:47 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Yes it is a bit pricey But once UK customs have had their share, then the Royal Mail (or whatever they call themselves this week) spank you, there really isn't much in it. We live in a country that prides itself on ripping off it's indigenous population. Plus I have dealt with SRS and they rock, customer care seems to be a very high priority, and they are in the UK (keep it local, and all that)! Many thanks for your help/concern.

Regards

Mick

07-27-2008, 05:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi, Audiobomber, just wondering about the Christmas lights. If you are celebrating Christmas in July, you should send an invitation, don't you think?
07-27-2008, 06:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Hi, Audiobomber, just wondering about the Christmas lights. If you are celebrating Christmas in July, you should send an invitation, don't you think?
LOL! You'd have to talk to Mrs Audiobomber about the Christmas lights. :ugh: There's a string of them all around the deck. She plugs them in nightly, all year round. The yard is lit with solar powered lanterns. All the lights are white, so it doesn't look Christmasy at all. It's quite pretty.

Last edited by audiobomber; 07-28-2008 at 05:52 AM.
07-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have the K100D, and no battery grip. Just curious, but what happens to the door holding in the batteries? Do you have to remove it?

07-27-2008, 07:21 PM   #8
Moo

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I have the K100D, and no battery grip. Just curious, but what happens to the door holding in the batteries? Do you have to remove it?
No.. It sort of "hangs" in that odd slot you can see next to the power switch on the grip..
07-28-2008, 12:40 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I`ve just purchased a Travor battery grip and I`ll add my recommendation to Audiobomber`s. Cost was about $60.00 Australian delivered, very fast service. The only disadvantage for some, that I can see is it doesn`t have an extra shutter release on it. This does not bother me at all and it gives a much better feel and balance to the camera.
Simmo
07-28-2008, 11:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Moo Quote
No.. It sort of "hangs" in that odd slot you can see next to the power switch on the grip..
Thanks. That seems to be a good way to break it off.
07-28-2008, 12:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

looks very cheap...
07-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
looks very cheap...
Feels good, nice and smooth, not much weight. In most lights it looks quite compatible with the camera.
07-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Thanks. That seems to be a good way to break it off.
Not unless you're very careless during installation/removal. The battery cover is completely protected when it's in the slot.

Last edited by audiobomber; 07-29-2008 at 05:35 PM.
07-28-2008, 10:17 PM   #14

I got the same one, and agree with your observations to a tee.... i wasn't worried about the missing vertical release because on the K100D that would likely need to occupy the remote shutter release input which I actually wanted to use for tripod/macro work. Don't like the wireless remotes much at all. I am really happy with mine and I feel like I've been shooting fairly heavily for a good month and the indicator's still showing full charge.

It may not be the most high end looking/feeling accessory, but for $60 delivered it was the perfect thing to stop my K100D from feeling so small. The car lighter charging may prove to be a bonus some day.

Yes it is kinda overly big and hollow, any longish lens will cause it to tip. It could also do without the bold Travor name plastered on the front. But I still am really happy I bought it. If I had a K20D on the other hand- I wouldn't touch this grip with a 10 ft pole.

Oh yeah and I forgot to add another really minor niggle- and my not so scientific way of assessing electronics build quality- the cord! I like a substantial wire type, but this one on the ac charger is the crappy thin brittle type that doesn't inspire a lot of confindence.

Last edited by F8&Bthere; 07-28-2008 at 10:27 PM.
08-13-2008, 06:15 PM   #15
TLC
Inactive Account

After literally months of trying to find a dealer for the Ansmann P-100 grip here in the U.S. I pretty much gave up. So I started looking elsewhere.

The guys in Britain said that they would be glad to sell me one. But, the power supply used to recharge the unit wouldn’t work in the States, and that I would have to buy a power converter.

I don’t know if any of that is true or not but I forgot about it. It was getting to be too much of a hassle.

After reading your post Dan, I went ahead and purchased the Travor grip. I will admit that I was very skeptical. If it didn’t work out, it was going to be an expensive lesson.

But do you know what, I love the thing. It’s difficult getting used to the weight at first, but that quickly changes. It’s actually becoming quite comfortable.

But best of all, I don’t have to worry about that little “batteries are damn near dead” reminder flashing in the corner of the data window.

Thanks for the recommendation.