Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cokin filter system question

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm thinking about getting into the Cokin P filter system for the filters I have besides the UVs since I have so many filter sizes among my lens collection (49, 58, 72, and 77 soon). From what I understand, I would need to buy a lens adapter ring for every size ring that I have. I'm wondering if buying less expensive step-up rings for the 49,58, and 72mm filters and connecting any one of them to a 77mm adapter ring and filter holder would work just as well?

Thanks!
Heather

07-26-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Heather,

just get the biggest ring size you can get and then get a step down ring adapter.
I'm sure that would be fine and that's what I'm planning to do too.
Since my biggest lens diameter is 77mm and then goes down to 67, 52 and 49.
07-26-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I'm wondering if buying less expensive step-up rings for the 49,58, and 72mm filters and connecting any one of them to a 77mm adapter ring and filter holder would work just as well?
I found that using step rings and switching the Cokin ring to be a PITA. Besides, on ebay the Cokin mount ringa are often as cheap or cheaper than the step rings. I use the Cokins with my RB67 and M645 lenses and I just leave the mount ring on each lens and use the snap on covers to protect the lens.

Jeff
07-26-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do basically the same as WJW much of the time. Just using the adapter rings and leaving them on the lenses during a shoot when I use them (not always). I take them off for storage though.

07-26-2008, 09:36 AM   #5
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For my medium format stuff, I leave the rings on and use these: P253 Cokin Lens Cap for the adaptor ring - P System

But I also use the Cokin Bellows hood (COKIN Creative System - Filters A/P/Z/X - Accessories) or an Ambico hood that has been converted to work with the Cokin rings.

Jeff
07-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I completely agree with Jeff and Peter: changing step-up rings is exactly whta takes away the convenience of the Cokin systen. The adaptor rings are so cheap off ebay (even the Chinese clones work well), that it is really not worth the added annoyance.

Ben
07-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Heather, your real challenge will be finding the filters. I've been waiting since March for some ND Grad filters. For me having an adapter ring for each lens size is most convenient. Adding step rings just increases the distance between glass and filter, and there's already enough IMHO.

07-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
Heather, your real challenge will be finding the filters. I've been waiting since March for some ND Grad filters. For me having an adapter ring for each lens size is most convenient. Adding step rings just increases the distance between glass and filter, and there's already enough IMHO.
I just bought the matching NDs and ND-Grads from Hitech. They come from the same company, that makes the acclaimed Lee filters and may be less robust, than the Lee's, but better quality than Cokin (in so far better, as they don'T INTRODUCE THE COKIN TYPICAL COLOUR CAST). On top the ND-Grads are slightly longer than the Cokin's, which is a bonus. I bought the whole kit quite cheap from the UK: Hitech 85mm Filters : Teamwork Digital Ltd, Suppliers of Professional Digital and Large Format Photographic Equipment

regards
Ben
07-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ben,

Those prices on the ND filters are very good; even with the exchange rate the way it is the grad ND filter set would cost me $60USD, which isn't bad at all for 3 filters. Assuming that shipping to the US isn't totally outrageous, then that might be the way to go.

I did a little checking around on Fleabay and I found that Quality Foto (http://stores.ebay.com/QualityFoto_Cokin-P-Stuff_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ2QQftidZ2QQtZkm) has good deals on Cokin-compatible stuff. Ring adapter and filter holder sets run $7.95 and individual ring adapters run $4.95. Most individual filters themselves run $10.95, with the circular polarizer running $24.95. All the prices are before shipping, which is reasonable. I've bought from them before without any problems, so I will most likely be buying at least my holder and adapter rings from them.

I did a price comparison between screw-on filters and the Cokin filters that I want and even using Cokin-branded items, it was cheaper than the screw-on filters, plus less stuff to weigh down the camera bag. If I go with off-brand for at least some of the Cokin items, then the savings will be that much greater.

Thanks for all the help!
Heather
07-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ben,

Those prices on the ND filters are very good; even with the exchange rate the way it is the grad ND filter set would cost me $60USD, which isn't bad at all for 3 filters. Assuming that shipping to the US isn't totally outrageous, then that might be the way to go.

I did a little checking around on Fleabay and I found that Quality Foto (eBay Store - QualityFoto: Cokin P Stuff: 9 ring 2 holder for P-series Cokin 84mm system NEW) has good deals on Cokin-compatible stuff. Ring adapter and filter holder sets run $7.95 and individual ring adapters run $4.95. Most individual filters themselves run $10.95, with the circular polarizer running $24.95. All the prices are before shipping, which is reasonable. I've bought from them before without any problems, so I will most likely be buying at least my holder and adapter rings from them.

I did a price comparison between screw-on filters and the Cokin filters that I want and even using Cokin-branded items, it was cheaper than the screw-on filters, plus less stuff to weigh down the camera bag. If I go with off-brand for at least some of the Cokin items, then the savings will be that much greater.
Hi Heather, Teamwork really has exceptionally good prices and their international shipping was very reasonable and fast. If you go off-brand it shouldn't be a problem with the Chines Holders and adapter rings. I have one of those myself and can hardly see any difference to the original Cokin except for the missing brand name. Fort filters it is different. Here I wouldn't buy the cheap clones - but I also wouldn't buy Cokin anymore. The Hitechs are great value and for the Circular Polarizer the cheap Kood filter should do a decent job. I have seen many exanple pictures and read many people's experience with the Kood and it seems, it has better colour rendition than the original Cokin, which has a greenish cast (many photogs report a magenta cast). I ordered the Kood CPL + several primary colours from a UK company for a very low price: Discount Fuji Kodak Ilford Konica Polaroid film UK at Discount Films Direct - their pricing is well below ebay (indeed only around 50% of ebay sellers...)

I haven't used the Koods yet, but as I also have the original Cokins, I will compare every aspect side by side. Sonetimes I buy things a couple of times, just to be able to make my own comparisson...

regards
Ben
07-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ben, I'm curious to find out your impressions of the Kood vs the Cokin CPLs. I checked out the Discount Films website and unfortunately, they don't ship to the US. I went on Fleabay, however, and did find a store with the Kood CPL for around $36 USD + shipping. I've messaged them to ask for a shipping quote to the US, so we'll see.

I also found out that Camera Filters The Filter Connection 2filter.com for Hoya HD filters, Hoya Pro 1, Tiffen HT, Tiffen 4x4 Camera Filters, B+W filters and Canon Inks also carries the Hitech filters, but they're way more expensive than Teamwork. Although I don't know how much they would charge for shipping, the 2 ND sets from Teamwork seem to be the better deal ($20 ea. vs. $39.71 ea for the ND grads and $35.44 for the ND solids). For anybody else who's interested in comparing, here's the whole list of Hitech filters that TFC carries:
Hitech P 85 series available at 2filter.com

Naturally, I will go ahead and get the holder and at least 1 adapter ring first and then see about the CPL.

Heather
07-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know ther was a discusion on this before, but I can't find it so I'll ask. How is Cokin P holder performing with Sigma 10-20? I know it vignettes on 10, but wher it stops? And is it any better with slim holder?
TIA sorry for kind of "hijacking" the thread...
07-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I know ther was a discusion on this before
Yup.

Here - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/32414-graduated...ide-angle.html
07-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Ben, I'm curious to find out your impressions of the Kood vs the Cokin CPLs. I checked out the Discount Films website and unfortunately, they don't ship to the US. I went on Fleabay, however, and did find a store with the Kood CPL for around $36 USD + shipping. I've messaged them to ask for a shipping quote to the US, so we'll see.

I also found out that Camera Filters The Filter Connection 2filter.com for Hoya HD filters, Hoya Pro 1, Tiffen HT, Tiffen 4x4 Camera Filters, B+W filters and Canon Inks also carries the Hitech filters, but they're way more expensive than Teamwork. Although I don't know how much they would charge for shipping, the 2 ND sets from Teamwork seem to be the better deal ($20 ea. vs. $39.71 ea for the ND grads and $35.44 for the ND solids). For anybody else who's interested in comparing, here's the whole list of Hitech filters that TFC carries:
Hitech P 85 series available at 2filter.com

Naturally, I will go ahead and get the holder and at least 1 adapter ring first and then see about the CPL.

Heather
HI Heather,
I found the Filter Connection too ans was nearly buying from them, when I luckily stumbled upon Teamworks... At least for Germany their shipping was way more expensive than Teamwork's, but that is natural and I would think their charges inside the US are fine. Nevertheless I bet the Teamworks price is better in the end...

I will post my comparisson between the Cokin/Kood and Hitech filters as soon as I have got everything here and had some time for testing.

Ben
07-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I went on ahead and ordered the Kood CPL via BIN on Fleabay. I figure that since it'll take longer to get to me than the holder and rings, I would go ahead and get it first. With the exchange rate, I think it cost me $47+change including shipping, which is still cheaper than buying a new Cokin here in the US.

Heather