Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #1

Just broke new flash, need advice!

Ugh.

I... can't... believe... it.

I finished taking some shots outside for my fiance's clothing website, and as I'm coming back in I put the camera safely surrounded by clothing in a hamper. Flash was still attached to the body.

As I enter the doorway, I trip, and the camera with flash falls out, not a far distance thankfully, but enough to break the plastic mount of the flash. See here for the break:

Sooooooooo...

What do I do? The flash is fairly new, but that's clearly not a warranty item.

I doubt highly I can just glue the plastic bits back on.

As for saving money... is there perhaps something I can do off camera maybe? instead of buying a whole new flash, buy a wireless kit or something? What should I do?

Or, then again, I could just be screwed.

06-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Contact your local service shop and order the base. The 4 screws shown in the picture will remove the plate on most units. I don't own this version but I did this once on another flash that had a similar base. Most camera service centers will offer a little free advice as well if you order the part through them. If there's no one in your area that can get the part then I guess contact Sigma directly and they will also most likely advise you a bit as well.
06-14-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Ohhhhhh just call Sigma and in a distraught manner say that the bottom piece crumbled off when sliding it into the hotshoe as if it already had a defect. Act upset, say you don't understand it as you were careful with it as it cost so much. Don't analyze whether they'll believe you or not, and they won't apply forensics to determine the exact truth of it all. Its just not that important to them.

Really...enough of this honesty morality crap. Just keep a straight face, and they'll probably just say send it in where they'll screw on a new base at no charge.
06-14-2007, 10:09 PM   #4
Forum Member

I vote for Peter's suggestion.

I don't think this needs any explaination.

06-14-2007, 11:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree with Peter. The hotshoe on most better-quality flash units are designed to be removed and relatively easily replaced. I replaced the hotshoe on my old Vivitar 285 four times before finally deciding to replace the whole thing. The Sigma is the same with those four screws seen around the base. The replacement can be done by Sigma, to protect the warranty. But you can also do it yourself to save money. The repair is usually very straightforward; four screws and four/five wires to plug in or lightly solder (depending on the design).

stewart
06-15-2007, 06:42 AM   #6

Original Poster
Alright, thanks folks, going to drop by my local store today and see about ordering in a replacement bottom. We'll go from there! Thanks again everyone (quick replies!)
06-15-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whoops- I just noticed this thread was misplaced, so I moved it to the accessory forum. Please remember to post in the correct forum section in the future. Thanks

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-15-2007, 06:34 PM   #8

Original Poster
I have a problem with posting in the main areas where I read. It's a problem, a habit, and something I'll have to figure out (-;l sorry bout that!

Well, Henry's gave me the number to a local Sigma authorized repair depot, and they're only about 25 kms away, so I'm going to jump on the highway tomorrow or monday and swing by the repair shop. Will call them tomorrow to ask how much it'll cost. For those with Sigmas out there, I'll update this thread with the cost just to keep everyone in the loop!
06-22-2007, 06:00 PM   #9

Original Poster
Update:

I got the part!

I've been busy out of province the past week, but I swung by the official Canadian Sigma Repair depot in Markham Ontario today, since I was already heading into Toronto.

Cost? Came to about $30 (which as you'll see is understandable because it's not just the hotshoe):

And hey! No soldering needed! It's got a wiring harness!

So, take out four screws, and plug and play!

YAY!

So, time to see if the wireless firmware is installed in mine to work with my new K10!
06-22-2007, 07:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice to see a problem resolved, and without questionable morals put into play.
06-23-2007, 05:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Well, six wires instead of four or five. They keep adding things. My first flash only had three (okay, admittedly a long time ago). Anyway, glad to see the repair was as easy as we suggested and the problem finally fixed. Now, how long do you think it will take before you break it again?

stewart