Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M42 Screwmount Adapters

Hey all, does anyone know of an online store or whatever where I can buy a cheaper M42 screwmount to K-mount adapter than the $30 one on the pentax webstore? Going for $50 screwmount lenses where the adapter is 60% of the lens cost feels a bit weird to the whole discount-y feeling thanks!

08-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Spend the money on the Genuine Pentax Adapter K. You will find that it the consensus around here.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-screw...ml#post1140019
08-29-2010, 12:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, but if Amazon.com: Fotodiox Chrome M42 (42mm x1 screw mount Lens) to Pentax K/PK Mount Camera Adapter, fits Pentax K-7, K2000D, K200D, K20D, K10D Super, K10D, K110D, K100D, *ist, D, DL, DL2, DS, DS2, Samsung GX-20, GX-10: Electronics works, then I'd much rather shave off the $20. If anyone's used this one, does it work well? No hassles/infinity focus okay?
08-29-2010, 02:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've beenuseing a cheap bower one for 10.00 bucks free shipping with no problem just took off the metal tab and works like a charm no problems with the lens wanting to come off also unless it's a stiff old focusing lens. my old pentax 50mm macro is kinda stiff and it works fine. I just don't have 30 bucks right now to get the pentax brand great site

08-29-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
I'm not saying it won't work. Just look out for poor machining and the possibility that it won't come off the camera. Many who use the generic adapters also complain about metal shavings in the camera.
08-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Hey all, does anyone know of an online store or whatever where I can buy a cheaper M42 screwmount to K-mount adapter than the $30 one on the pentax webstore? Going for $50 screwmount lenses where the adapter is 60% of the lens cost feels a bit weird to the whole discount-y feeling thanks!
It's not like you're buying one adapter per M42 lens and I'm sure you would end up buying several more m42 lenses so the price ratio adapter/lenses become much more reasonable. Trust me, the extra cost to get the genuine Pentax adapter is well worth it.
08-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
Inactive Account

The problem is getting it off.. some come with a tool to get it out. You must use the manual button on the back to get an exposure. Then it's only for that shot. I have a few thread mounts (135mm F1.8 and 85mm f1.5) that I use. Like anything else.. you get use to checking the exposure before shooting.

08-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've got a genuine Pentax adaptor, and I've got some of these as well -

M42 lenses on Pentax K

Both work perfectly, one is expensive.
08-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Spend the money on the Genuine Pentax Adapter K. You will find that it the consensus around here.
Unfortunately, that is NOT the consensus around here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I've got a genuine Pentax adaptor, and I've got some of these as well... Both work perfectly, one is expensive.
And that's the bottom line.

Three sorts of M42-PK adapters: (1) the expensive safe Official Pentax Adapter -- I own one; (2) the cheap clones of #1 -- I own a couple dozen; and (3) cheap, safe, flanged non-infinity-focus adapters -- I own a half-dozen. Each have their own applications.

Anyone using screwmount lenses for macro or closeups, should have as many cheap flanged adapters as needed. Those are for cases where infinity focus doesn't matter. Everyone using screwmount lenses should have at least one Official Pentax Adapter. Yes, it's the gold standard. And anyone using MANY screwmount lenses, intermixed with PK-mount lenses, should strongly consider the cheap clones, often referred to a Bower-type.

Bower-type clones are cheap and can be infuriating. REMOVE THE SPRING AND SCREW OR YOU *WILL* GO APESHIT!! Since learning that, I have had zero trouble with the clones. Zero. Yes, I take precautions. Before putting a clone on my cameras, I test it on a macro tube first. I have tossed out a couple. The many that pass go onto the screwmount lenses I use a lot. Use a rear lens cap as a wrench to tighten it, or to remove it when desired. With some lenses, I've almost forgotten that they're not PK-native.

I have about 100 lenses that can fit on my K20D (not all at once). Over 65 of them are screwmount. I intermix usage of M39s, M42s, and PKs. I cannot afford a couple dozen Official Pentax Adapters (OPAs). I will *not* go through the rigamarole of repeatedly (un)screwing lenses and diddling with the OPA when I want to use a PK lens. Someone using ONLY screwmounts, and/or only a FEW screwmounts, or who doesn't change lenses much, might be happy with just one OPA. Not me.
08-29-2010, 10:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Unfortunately, that is NOT the consensus around here.

And that's the bottom line.

Three sorts of M42-PK adapters: (1) the expensive safe Official Pentax Adapter -- I own one; (2) the cheap clones of #1 -- I own a couple dozen; and (3) cheap, safe, flanged non-infinity-focus adapters -- I own a half-dozen. Each have their own applications.

Anyone using screwmount lenses for macro or closeups, should have as many cheap flanged adapters as needed. Those are for cases where infinity focus doesn't matter. Everyone using screwmount lenses should have at least one Official Pentax Adapter. Yes, it's the gold standard. And anyone using MANY screwmount lenses, intermixed with PK-mount lenses, should strongly consider the cheap clones, often referred to a Bower-type.

Bower-type clones are cheap and can be infuriating. REMOVE THE SPRING AND SCREW OR YOU *WILL* GO APESHIT!! Since learning that, I have had zero trouble with the clones. Zero. Yes, I take precautions. Before putting a clone on my cameras, I test it on a macro tube first. I have tossed out a couple. The many that pass go onto the screwmount lenses I use a lot. Use a rear lens cap as a wrench to tighten it, or to remove it when desired. With some lenses, I've almost forgotten that they're not PK-native.

I have about 100 lenses that can fit on my K20D (not all at once). Over 65 of them are screwmount. I intermix usage of M39s, M42s, and PKs. I cannot afford a couple dozen Official Pentax Adapters (OPAs). I will *not* go through the rigamarole of repeatedly (un)screwing lenses and diddling with the OPA when I want to use a PK lens. Someone using ONLY screwmounts, and/or only a FEW screwmounts, or who doesn't change lenses much, might be happy with just one OPA. Not me.
If I understand you right, does that mean that the official one requires each removal of the lens to be unscrewed, and then the adapter to be removed, but the off-brand (good/working) ones can basically turn the lens into a k-mount, but I just have to remove the spring/screw (how'd I go about that?) ? If so, the offbrand ones are sounding real nice at this point. I'd only have 2 or so M42 lenses if the gods of ebay favor me, but I do change lenses relatively frequently.
08-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If I understand you right, does that mean that the official one requires each removal of the lens to be unscrewed, and then the adapter to be removed, but the off-brand (good/working) ones can basically turn the lens into a k-mount, but I just have to remove the spring/screw (how'd I go about that?) ? If so, the offbrand ones are sounding real nice at this point. I'd only have 2 or so M42 lenses if the gods of ebay favor me, but I do change lenses relatively frequently.
The way I use them, the Official Pentax Adapter (OPA) stays on the camera, and the clones and flanged adapters stay on the lenses. Some days I may use only M42s that don't see enough action and thus don't rate their own dedicated adapters. In that case, the OPA stays on, and the K20D becomes an M42 camera, and maybe I'll have a Praktica or Spotty along also. But most of the time I have a mix of M39s, M42s, and K-mounts in my bag; and because all the screwmounts have dedicated adapters, they're all easily and quickly interchanged on the K20D and ZX-M.

Removing the spring and the screw that holds it on, is simple. The adapter comes in a package with a dismounting tool (throw it away!) and consists of three (3) pieces: adapter ring, spring, and screw. Use a cheap jeweler's screwdriver. I save the screws 'cause they're useful in my diddlings with lenses and cameras.

As I mentioned, cheap flanged adapters are useful too, even though infinity focus is lost. I have an old T2 Spiratone 400mm tube tele that focuses *past* infinity, so a flanged adapter just normalizes it. And with closeups, infinity isn't needed or desired -- so I'll use such with my Jupiter-9 85/2 (portraits), Macro-Takumar 50/4 (macros), any lens on M42 macro tubes or bellows, etc. And flanged adapters make Catch-In-Focus aka Focus-Trap easy to use. More on that next time.
08-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There's a nice one from BH as well- check out my screwmount thread in the lens articles section.
08-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The way I use them, the Official Pentax Adapter (OPA) stays on the camera, and the clones and flanged adapters stay on the lenses. Some days I may use only M42s that don't see enough action and thus don't rate their own dedicated adapters. In that case, the OPA stays on, and the K20D becomes an M42 camera, and maybe I'll have a Praktica or Spotty along also. But most of the time I have a mix of M39s, M42s, and K-mounts in my bag; and because all the screwmounts have dedicated adapters, they're all easily and quickly interchanged on the K20D and ZX-M.

Removing the spring and the screw that holds it on, is simple. The adapter comes in a package with a dismounting tool (throw it away!) and consists of three (3) pieces: adapter ring, spring, and screw. Use a cheap jeweler's screwdriver. I save the screws 'cause they're useful in my diddlings with lenses and cameras.

As I mentioned, cheap flanged adapters are useful too, even though infinity focus is lost. I have an old T2 Spiratone 400mm tube tele that focuses *past* infinity, so a flanged adapter just normalizes it. And with closeups, infinity isn't needed or desired -- so I'll use such with my Jupiter-9 85/2 (portraits), Macro-Takumar 50/4 (macros), any lens on M42 macro tubes or bellows, etc. And flanged adapters make Catch-In-Focus aka Focus-Trap easy to use. More on that next time.
Does that mean that the OPA just doesn't get used as a dedicated one, or is in capable of being used like so? Cause lookin at a the how-to for putting it on/taking it off the camera, looks like you have to press a spring that's INSIDE the mount, which wouldn't be accessible with a lens on...am I correct? And, if possible, could you link which adapter you use as a pseudo-permanent m42-to-k on your lenses? Thanks!

And, Adam, do you mean this one? General Brand Pentax-K Body to Universal Lens Adapter ABPKS - seems like a few reviewers have had a bit of trouble with it :T
08-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does that mean that the OPA just doesn't get used as a dedicated one, or is in capable of being used like so? Cause lookin at a the how-to for putting it on/taking it off the camera, looks like you have to press a spring that's INSIDE the mount, which wouldn't be accessible with a lens on...am I correct? And, if possible, could you link which adapter you use as a pseudo-permanent m42-to-k on your lenses? Thanks!

And, Adam, do you mean this one? General Brand Pentax-K Body to Universal Lens Adapter ABPKS - seems like a few reviewers have had a bit of trouble with it :T
The OPA can't be removed with a lens on the camera unless you remove the spring. That's why you use the cheap adapters for that.

Last edited by boriscleto; 08-30-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: sp
08-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

You're correct--but since the spring is such a pain in the ass (the adapter can get stuck in the body), what people do is remove the spring mechanism...screw the adapter onto the lens very tightly (or mount permanently)...and then screw it onto the body, and it stays there by the tight friction, since you removed the locking clip.

I shoot 99.99% M42, so I have my original Pentax adapter on the camera all the time.

I'm not a fan of the clones.