Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #1

Which ($<30) tripod will hold Pentax K-x and 55-300mm lens?

Looking to get a tripod but I'm not sure which will hold the weight. I was ready to buy Amazon.com: Sunpak 620-020 2001UT Travel Tripod with Extra Quick-Release Mounting Plate: Camera & Photo but the most helpful review said that if you need to use a 300mm zoom lens you need something sturdier. So I don't know how to tell if a tripod will be sturdy enough for that.

Any advice? Do you think he might be wrong and that tripod will be fine for the K-x and the kit 55-300mm lens?

Thanks!

10-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Best to make sure it is not all plastic in the hinge and joints that must carry the camera. I personally would avoid plastic. A common thing is that if you use it all seasons, then the plastic parts dry or crack and suddenly your camera is a paperweight.

Maybe something like this:
Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head
10-13-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hear that people like the Dolica AX620B100 Pro-Line tripod... it's only $40 and will supposedly hold 13lbs (well, I wouldn't recommend trying that).

I just don't think you'll get anything you'll be happy with for less than that (i.e. the $40 dolica).
10-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Get the dolica. With the junk head on that sunpak you will be infintely frustrated. At least the dolica has a ballhead which will be serviceable.

10-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I used to have a Vivitar VPT-120 tripod, then I manned up and spent the cash on a Manfrotto Tripod and head combo from Ritz for $150. Even though I don't use a Tripod much, it was worth it.
10-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My experience is that any Sunpak with square/rectangular legs and/or a central column brace will be extremely wobbly.

You will be almost guaranteed to be unhappy with any tripod less than $30. You'll be lucky to find one you're happy with for under $50.

The Slik Sprint series are pretty good for the price, although they are a bit on the short side.
10-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #7

Here's another vote for the dolica. I use it with my k-x and 55-300mm; works more than well enough for a ~$40 tripod; it does droop [Correction: see edit 2] like a quarter an inch or so if I recall, but that can be mostly corrected. It comes with a nice case too. Much better than any other in the price range, and would be my top choice on a budget.

Edit: I forgot to mention I never actually noticed the droop until I used a macro converter (raynox 150) on my 55-300mm; shouldn't really be a problem usually I think.

Edit 2: I will attach photos I just just took; after trying it out I will have to change my mind on the drooping, it does not droop a quarter of an inch; it is much less noticeable than that, in fact you probably wouldn't notice unless doing macro shots.

Hope this helps!

Attached Images

Last edited by jayp; 10-13-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Clarification
10-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

A drooping tripod i'm not worried about: one that weighs less than the 55-300mm lens by itself does. The weight of the Sunpak tripod you list is only 2.3lbs. That in itself tells me it will be highly unstable.

The Dolica everyone lists here looks to be able to handle your camera and 55-300mm lens, with a couple of pounds to spare. My 2 cents though: If you can find a local camera shop that has it in stock, go there and check it out. Nothing will tell you more about camera equipment than seeing it in front of you.

I stick with Giottos and Manfrottos. Tubular aluminum and carbon fibre tripods do cost alot more than $30, but if you want something that will last, spend for it.

(I just picked up a Giottos MTL 9371B Aluminum Professional Tripod off of the 'bay 2 weeks ago. It did cost over $100, but it can hold 22lbs, and the Manfrotto 498RC2 ball head can hold 17lbs+ - also cost more than $100. I needed to replace another tripod system that was stolen mid september at work).

Last edited by chalion; 10-13-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling errors, of course!
10-13-2010, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #9

Yes, the weight of the tripod is important too, especially in wind. I haven't had the dolica out in windy situations yet, but I'd like to note that it does have a hook attached to the center shaft allowing you to add more weight if needed.

It also has spiked feet that can be withdrawn by twisting the feet, this can help quite a bit in muddy/grass situations I have found. Not bad for the price, if you are on a tight budget.

Don't get me wrong though, if I had the budget for a manfrotto and ball head I would have gotten that without a second thought. But excellent for ~$40 if you aren't willing to spend that much.

Jay
10-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I would also state: I do not trust something that cost $30-ish to hold my $600 camera and $1200 lens.
10-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chalion Quote
I would also state: I do not trust something that cost $30-ish to hold my $600 camera and $1200 lens.
Just the 55-300, not the DA*300. So it wont hurt as much when the whole thing topples over.
10-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I don't think I would buy one without seeing it. Most of the cheap tripods I have seen are very rickitey. Want a sturdy tripod tripod for under $50 bucks? Go to Lowes and buy a set of transit level legs. They're a little heavy......
10-17-2010, 07:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I don't think I would buy one without seeing it. Most of the cheap tripods I have seen are very rickitey. Want a sturdy tripod tripod for under $50 bucks? Go to Lowes and buy a set of transit level legs. They're a little heavy......
Ooh, I didn't realize those were so cheap. Muahahahahaha.

Anyway, I thought I'd add in general that on a real cheap tripod, in general a quick release is *not* a feature. On many of the cheapest ones, those are just way too toy-like to consider: you may find it's made of cheap plastic, and that simply won't fly. If you have to go cheap, you want as simple and solid as you can get hold of.

Those Dolicas specifically-mentioned would seem to be reasonably-OK, cause people seem reasonably-satisfied for what they are, but for long lenses, you'll really notice cheapness: generally, we do tend to advise people not skimp on tripods, if possible, and especially for jobs like that.

(BTW, if you're really budget-limited, a bean bag is less convenient but very effective. You can even just go into the grocery store and buy a bag of dried beans. Doesn't get cheaper than that. ) And monopods are less price-sensitive and do what they do pretty reliably. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-17-2010 at 07:52 AM.
10-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
+1. Them things are great for a steady platform. Just have to spring for the head. So, there went that budget.
10-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #15
Pentaxian

You would need a ball head to attach the transit legs to the camera but they are sturdy and would be worth considering in certain conditions. Lightweight tripods have their issues, even the good ones. I have seen guys setting up to do long exposures and hanging sand bags to keep the whole thing steady. That kind of defeats the purpose of going lightweight. There is really no single tripod solution for everybody. Everybody has different needs and what works for me might be useless to someone else.