Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
HDMI-output from K-5 and K-7 to a Field Monitor.

I rescently bought a 7 inch Field Monitor at the same day that I bought the K-5. It was for some time on my wishing list. I use it for making movieclips, playback and some other things that are not related to my camera. It's basicly a small LCD TV.

I will make another tutorial on using it over the next few weeks.

From the K-5 Firmware suggestions
HDMI output

I would like to have Pentax to make an adjustment to the output true the HDMI cable for using a Field Monitor. At the moment in LiveView its fine, and replaying a movie is also good. But in recording the output is squeesd for making space for the info of the camera-settings and that way it is not handy for turning on the ring on the lens to focus on some other point in the scene.

Here's a little test so you can see what I mean.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 05-24-2011 at 07:56 AM.
11-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I rescently bought a 7 inch Field Monitor at the same day that I bought the K-5. It was for some time on my wishing list. I use it for making movieclips, playback and some other things that are not related to my camera. It's basicly a small LCD TV.

From the K-5 Firmware suggestions
HDMI output

I would like to have Pentax to make an adjustment to the output true the HDMI cable for using a Field Monitor. At the moment in LiveView its fine, and replaying a movie is also good. But in recording the output is squeesd for making space for the info of the camera-settings and that way it is not handy for turning on the ring on the lens to focus on some other point in the scene.

Here's a little test so you can see what I mean.
Ron, this is very interesting.

Would you please tell us:

1. what LCD TV this is? and what is the cost?
2. what HDMI cabling (specifically) did you use between the camera and the TV?

I can think of at least one application for this set up, apart from video: portrait (studio-like work).

I like the idea of being able to see what's in front of the camera without looking through the viewfinder, in a large scale.

Keep us informed of any further development.

JP
11-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #3

I have similiar setup with lilliput LCD screen. It's quite functional and you can buy powerful battery to go with the screen. I have made it a sort of DIY videorig.

more info about lilliput monitors LILLIPUTLCD.com - 7" LILLIPUT LCD Monitors, 8" LILLIPUT LCD Monitors with HDMI,DVI,VGA & Touch Screen

some images of my rig.. ( I made a "brochure" I had a little bit of a bore and too much time)

Dropbox - Photos - Online backup, file sync and sharing made easy.

Basically I have found out that monitor was quite useful in one shoot in a bar where I had my camera on a tripod near the roof, and I could easily show pictures taken to crowd with this monitor.

-J
11-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice video. I can't wait to get myself a field monitor too. It's been on my wishlist for a while as well.

I think you're a bit confused about the output though. What movie resolution/format are you in? All the HD setting are 16:9, so what you're seeing is just the aspect ratio being different from the screen ratio. It's the same on the rear LCD of the camera itself. It has black bars and info on the top and bottom, because the aspect ration is causing the screen to be letterboxed. If you put it in VGA, then you no longer get that on the LCD, and I would assume the same would happen on the field monitor.

11-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well there a some different field monitors. This one I bought in The netherlands Field monitor - 7 inch assist monitor it's quit expansif, but I chosen to have the HDMI input and for the one with a build-in Li-Ion battery. So much cheaper are with just VGA-entrance or just an external battery.

The problem is that when you switch tou video-mode the HDMI exit changes to 480p out. That is not a problem, since the monitor can handle that. Just the bars top and bottom that are black should dissapere. If you just look at the output from the info menu it is at a 4:3 ratio with black sitebars. I think a little help could fix this.

I just have a standerd 2 meter hdmi cable, mini-c to a. I will order one that's 0,5 meter wich is more handy on a tripod.
10-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Hi Ron,

I know this is an old thread but field monitors are probably becoming more relevant now. I wanted to ask, did you make another tutorial after all?
Also, is it completely useless on the K-01 (for recording) or has recent firmware changed how the camera works when a HDMI cable is plugged in??

I'm looking at the Lilliput 668GL for use with my Panasonic SD700 but if it works well with the K-7 and the K-01 it will be a bonus.
(Of course when I get the K-3 I would expect to use it on that as well!)
10-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

..I guess not