Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mounting a camera on a telescope

Hi all,

Recently I've been thinking I would like to take advantage of my old telescope in my photography. I am interested both in using the optics of the telescope itself for astrophotography, and also in simply mounting my camera on the telescope's exterior surface to take advantage of its tracking ability during meteor showers.

If anyone has any experience with either of these things and could point me at some useful resources for learning more, I would really appreciate it!

For reference if it's relevant, I'm using a K-7 and my telescope is a Meade LX90.

01-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #2

I learned a lot at skyandtelescope.com. quite a few good links there.
01-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the same scope.
You need a T-Adapter for fitting the scope to the camera body.
Then you need a T-ring adapter for the camera body to fit to the adapter.

M
01-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
I have the same scope.
You need a T-Adapter for fitting the scope to the camera body.
Then you need a T-ring adapter for the camera body to fit to the adapter.

M
Miguel, I've seen some products that say they can be used for both eyepiece projection and for prime focus, but say they should not be used with Schmidt-Cassegrains. Do you have any experience with these? These adapters are all cheap enough that I don't mind spending on both of them individually, but it would be convenient if they were two-in-one.

01-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, I don't know much more, as I decided last year that it would be easier photographing the sky using other tools. This site may help.

M
01-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Miguel, I've seen some products that say they can be used for both eyepiece projection and for prime focus, but say they should not be used with Schmidt-Cassegrains. Do you have any experience with these? These adapters are all cheap enough that I don't mind spending on both of them individually, but it would be convenient if they were two-in-one.
There is no reason, why a simple combination of a T2-adaptor with an eyepiece projection adapter wouldn't work with a SCT. We've use that combo for decades in our astronomy club. The only problem is, that the smaller SCTs, and I assume your LX90 is the 8'' version, have a narrow diameter at the backplate an you'll get some vignetting. I In the past I use the TeleVue eyepiece projecton adaptor, because it is very solid and stiff. But have switched to the Baader T2-system a couple of years ago, because it is much more versatile.

For mounting the camera piggyback on the scope, you could use the Meade piggyback adaptor. But I find it quite useless, as the camera is only fixed by the tripod screw and tends to rotate. It is better to add one of those dovetail mounts (again Baader Planetarium), which serve as a base for finder scopes or alternative instruments. I use the Witty 1 mount on the Baader Standard Basis:
Sucherhalterungen und Zubehr, Tangentialanstze bei Baader Planetarium - Zubehoer, Sektion 13

You get an impression on their website, but these pages are currently in German only. If you need help, I'll provide the translation for you.

Ben
01-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ben_Edict! I'll take a closer look at that website later today when I get a bit more free time.

But a question for now, since you sound like you have a large amount of experience with astrophotography with SCTs -- how (or do you?) counterbalance the weight of the camera attached to the telescope when the telescope is on a fork mount? I have read that the weight of the camera gear can cause undue strain on the gears and motors in the telescope's mount, but not much discussion on how and when to counterbalance it. If it is relevant, I have purchased an equatorial wedge mount adapter for my LX90.

01-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks Ben_Edict! I'll take a closer look at that website later today when I get a bit more free time.

But a question for now, since you sound like you have a large amount of experience with astrophotography with SCTs -- how (or do you?) counterbalance the weight of the camera attached to the telescope when the telescope is on a fork mount? I have read that the weight of the camera gear can cause undue strain on the gears and motors in the telescope's mount, but not much discussion on how and when to counterbalance it. If it is relevant, I have purchased an equatorial wedge mount adapter for my LX90.
The EQ wedge is a must anyway for any longer exposures. So, this is a sensible investment. Counterbalancing is not really necessary in my experience. BUT I have used only shorter fl up to 300mm piggyback. There is a running counter balance weight available for Meade SCTs, which mounts under the tube and helps balancing. We have added at some time this weight, but I really never used it. I am not sure about the LX90 mechanics, but certainly the LX200 never showed any signs of mechanical overload with a piggyback camera. And even our ancient C8 never needed counterbalancing with these loads. And in those times, the cameras were really heavier than today.

I myself use German Equatorials instead of fork mounts and these are somewhat care free in this respect.

Ben
01-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
The EQ wedge is a must anyway for any longer exposures. So, this is a sensible investment. Counterbalancing is not really necessary in my experience. BUT I have used only shorter fl up to 300mm piggyback. There is a running counter balance weight available for Meade SCTs, which mounts under the tube and helps balancing. We have added at some time this weight, but I really never used it. I am not sure about the LX90 mechanics, but certainly the LX200 never showed any signs of mechanical overload with a piggyback camera. And even our ancient C8 never needed counterbalancing with these loads. And in those times, the cameras were really heavier than today.

I myself use German Equatorials instead of fork mounts and these are somewhat care free in this respect.

Ben
I imagine piggybacked cameras create less of an issue in this respect -- I am referring here to a camera mounted for prime focus or eyepiece projection photography, where it is at the far end of the tube and liable to produce more torque.

I agree about the necessity of an equatorial wedge adapter. I used this telescope for visual astronomy several years ago, and therefore was never really aware of field rotation. I am a bit excited about procuring this item because it will teach me proper polar alignment.
01-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I imagine piggybacked cameras create less of an issue in this respect -- I am referring here to a camera mounted for prime focus or eyepiece projection photography, where it is at the far end of the tube and liable to produce more torque.

I agree about the necessity of an equatorial wedge adapter. I used this telescope for visual astronomy several years ago, and therefore was never really aware of field rotation. I am a bit excited about procuring this item because it will teach me proper polar alignment.
Sorry, about the misunderstanding. Yes, for long eyepiece-projection distances counterbalancing could be useful. I I don't think, that an exact equilibrium is necessary - indeed it would be counterproductive, as the gears need some force exerted into one direction to overcome play. But in reality I use projection with equivalent focal lengthes of up to 30m on a C8 without any problems beyond the usual (fork mounts of that size are not really meant for such extremes). But for extended use a counterbalance would certainly be a wise choice:

Series 5000 Auxiliary Equipment Mounting System

I am not sure, whether you can mount that to your older LX90, but similar products are available or you may find one used at cloudynights...

Polar alignment is an art. Practising helps!

Clear Skies

Ben
01-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Adapters for a Meade

I don't have a Meade but it is doable:
Amazon.com: Vixen VMC110L

It is the only mirror lens I own at the moment. Was going to use it for astronomy but ended up using it more for birding (mirror lenses are great for close-focusing). Has a native T-mount, bought a chinese-made adapter with T-M42 threads (only one chinese mfg on ebay sells it), screwed it into my Pentax M42 adapter residing in my K100D Super. Gives 1035*1.5 crop = 1552 35mm equiv. Bought the scope used for $160.

Manual focusing is excruciatingly frustrating though!

For adapters for a Meade's SCT threads (which are slightly different than T-threads or M42), you might want to try Baader made adapters, sold by Agena Astro or Alpine Astro.
GA

Last edited by goldenarrow; 01-06-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: text
01-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I second the mention by someone of going to Cloudy Nights web site for expert help. Lots of very nice people there....