Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2011, 03:24 AM   #1
Pentaxian

New Cactus V5 triggers announced

Gadget Infinity, the company that brought us the Cactus V4 flash radio triggers will be releasing an improved V5 version.

First reviews start appearing and there is a video on youtube:

Cool features include
  • much improved reliability and range (100m)
  • channel selectable while trigger is in use
  • improved compatibility with Pentax flashes (in cold weather the V4 could have problems with the low trigger voltage of Pentax flashes)
  • transceiver design (no more exotic batteries, flexible allocation to transmitter/receiver usage)
  • additional usage as a wireless remote camera trigger
  • and much more.

No pricing available yet but as a considerably upgraded design they are bound to cost more than the V4. The V4 will not be phased out and the V5 are expected to be released real soon (i.e., before February).

01-06-2011, 05:51 AM   #2
Inactive Account

This seems like an great update to the V4! I'll be all over them
01-06-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll wait for the reviews...I am pretty frustrated with my v4's
01-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Flickr: Discussing Cactus v5 in Strobist.com

01-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Same here. I could never get a higher sync speed then 1/90s with either my 360FGZ or Vivitar 383 using the V4's on the K-x. And even with the K-7 on x-sync, I could never get 1/180 sync. Triggering was initially reliable when I first got them, but a year later they're not triggering as reliably or at all sometimes. So I'm also curious about these new V5's, but thinking about Pocket Wizards instead.
01-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
Same here. I could never get a higher sync speed then 1/90s with either my 360FGZ or Vivitar 383 using the V4's on the K-x. And even with the K-7 on x-sync, I could never get 1/180 sync. Triggering was initially reliable when I first got them, but a year later they're not triggering as reliably or at all sometimes. So I'm also curious about these new V5's, but thinking about Pocket Wizards instead.
I've never had a problem syncing at 1/180, its the 6 shots in a row where it won't trigger at all, followed by a wasted test shot in which it does. Or, place trigger just to the right of the camera and see it never work. Place it to the left and its perfect.
01-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

A full review has been posted. Looks pretty impressive.

Flickr: Discussing Cactus V5 full review - comparison with V4 & PocketWizard Plus II in Strobist.com

01-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
I could never get a higher sync speed then 1/90s with either my 360FGZ or Vivitar 383 using the V4's on the K-x. And even with the K-7 on x-sync, I could never get 1/180 sync.
Did you get them very early after release? I heard that the first batch had problems. I never had problems with reliability including up to 1/180.

Anyhow, the V5 is a completely different design (2.4 GHz instead of 433 MHz).
01-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I got them from MPEX some time ago, not sure exactly when but it's almost been a year now (guessing). So I'm not sure if they were an early batch or not, but there's no telling how long MPEX had them before I got them.

The latest review on the V5 was nicely detailed especially comparing them to the Pocket Wizards. No price mentioned anywhere yet though...
01-07-2011, 03:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The official overview, feature list, specs, package contents and manual have become available.
01-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Gadget Infinity have posted their own announcement with a feature list on their blog.
01-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #12

I know I'm pushing my luck, but I still use the V2s trigger with the antenna mod.

I must have done something right, because I have tested it at 100+ feet with a perfect response rate.

It's been working flawlessly going on a year now.

If you have decent soldering skills, the V2s antenna mod is definately worth looking into for the dirt cheap cost.
01-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just posted a full review of the Cactus V5.
02-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #14

hey guys, ive been looking into a wireless flash trigger for some time and there are more than a couple to choose from. cactus always gets pretty good reviews across the board, but what i can never seem to find a straight answer to is how it connects to the camera. i understand the transmitter goes onto the hotshoe, and receiver goes on flash... but lets say i simple want to press the shutter and have the flash across the room go off? i have a pentax kx and i wonder if its as easy as setting the flash mode to wireless, selecting the appropriate channel, then firing (as long as the shutter speed is within the correct range)? do i need to raise the cameras onboard flash? does the cameras flash need to fire to trigger the off-camera flash, or is that what i am circumventing by having the wireless radio triggers? a solid answer would be awesome and would cause me to go purchase a cactus v5 right now lol. thanks in advance for any insight..
02-24-2011, 04:26 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jwhittle Quote
... a solid answer would be awesome and would cause me to go purchase a cactus v5 right now lol. thanks in advance for any insight..
I answered your identical post at the review thread. Hope it helps.