Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2011, 11:30 PM   #1

Cheap Body Cap that pops off?

A silly little thing I know, but why does Pentax give that cheap white push on body cap that can fall off at any time and expose your expensive dslr to internal dust? Seems like they should just include a screw on one that actually stays in place....do many folks replace it with a screw on cap from adorama?

03-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Loren,
My two Pentax lenses (DA18-250mm and FA31mm) came with a good quality caps : body cap with a screw lock, and lens caps.

My K-7 came with a good quality cap also.

You can also find some lens and body caps from your local photo store. Personnally, I prefer to test the cap on my lenses rather than buy online, and I would go to the local store.

Hope that the comment will help...

Last edited by hcc; 03-09-2011 at 12:35 AM.
03-09-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Generally, once you get the camera, you are mounting a lens on it. FWIW, I've never had a problem with the supplied caps falling off on the occasions when I am carrying a spare body with no cap.
03-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When I first remove a new camera from the box, the body cap lasts for about 5 seconds. After that, I have never had a need for it, as the camera always has a lens attached.

03-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
pbo
Veteran Member

Pentax body caps I have fit quite tightly in the mount - they have never fallen off, either. Don't feel all that cheap - especially in comparison to generic body caps from ebay. All of them work fine, I wouldn't specifically choose one type over another. On the other hand, they don't really get much use since there's a lens on the camera most of the time...
03-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #6

My lens changing process involves 1) dismounting lens and rear capping it 2) place dust cap on body while putting first lens back in camera bag 3) take out second lens, de-rear cap it and then de-cap the body 4) quickly mount 2nd lens

I like having the body cap around, since I take me like 10-15 seconds to changes lenses...and I don't want the body internals exposed for that long. I have the original body cap and an aftermarket twist-on. I prefer the original, since it's a little bit more annoying fumbling with the twist on/off. I mean I only place the body cap on for 5 -10 seconds anyways, fwiw.
03-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Does any one know where to get a Pentax body cap that locks. I had one with my DL that was just like a k mount lens and used the locking pin. I've gotten aftermarket ones that don't have the provision for the pin and it seems that if they aren't turned to the right place, or the friction isn't tight enough they could easily fall off. I guess I could mod one by drilling the hole for the pin.

03-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dasuhu Quote
My lens changing process involves 1) dismounting lens and rear capping it 2) place dust cap on body while putting first lens back in camera bag 3) take out second lens, de-rear cap it and then de-cap the body 4) quickly mount 2nd lens
This is OT but since you mentioned lens changing....

Try a "double rear lens cap." It can be two "regular" rear lens caps attached back to back, or an Op/Tech double lens mount cap.

To change lenses (assuming the camera is hanging from you neck): 0) take lens 2 from the bag; this lens has a double rear lens cap on. 1) dismount lens 1 from the camera body and attach it to the other end of the double rear lens cap. 2) detach lens 2 from the double rear lens cap and mount it onto the camera body. 3) put lens 2 in bag.

It's so quick you don't need the body cap.