Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2011, 08:54 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DIY Lens Wraps

I've been buying new lenses and camera bodies lately. I have about 8 pieces of gear that I need to protect within a camera bag. I like the idea of wraps (with velcro) since I had one already--works great. Thing is they cost like $15 a piece.

So I got to use my sewing skills today and make some homemade wraps with scrap material and some affordable velcro I purchased at Jo-Ann Fabric. They came out to be like 75 cents a piece and took about 30 mins to make each one.

I imagine I'll need 10 wraps total (or so) in the near future. So this will cost me $7.50 instead of $160

Hrm thinking about starting a little side business making wraps now lol. jk

I made a couple today that were 8" x 8" for the smaller lenses and a 11" x 11" for a Asahi Pentax KM body.

Here are the pics :

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4  Photo 
04-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Great job.

I'm using DIY lens wraps also. But I'm not sure it they can be called "DIY" because I don't really do anything. I put the lenses in thick socks.

I hijack the idea from woodworking; my hand planes are stored in socks.
04-26-2011, 03:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
my hand planes are stored in socks
So you must have some Sasquatch socks for your Record #6 and up then
04-26-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice idea & some questions

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
So I got to use my sewing skills today and make some homemade wraps with scrap material and some affordable velcro I purchased at Jo-Ann Fabric. They came out to be like 75 cents a piece and took about 30 mins to make each one.
Hi,

Mmmmm, wraps. I'm feeling a bit hungry now!!

They look nice and quite simple to make.
I have a few questions though:

On one side of the fabric the velcro is all one type and on the other side it's all the other type? (little hooks versus the part that sticks to the little hooks)

Why does the stitching go all the way across from velcro strip to velcro strip? Decoration?

I have some self adhesive velcro. I guess that could be used and stitched down in addition to the adhesive?

Is the fabric lined or two halves stitched together?

What sort of fabric do you recommend?

You've given me some ideas. I like using our sewing machine, I just don't know much about sewing!!

Thanks
Michael

04-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Michael,

The soft part of the velcro set goes on the inside of the wrap and the hook side of the velcro goes on the outside--I imagine the hook side of the velcro would be abrasive to whatever you are storing inside the wrap.

I start by sewing soft stretchy cotton fabric to some upholstery fabric--front/right sides together for turning inside out. I cut the material 9" x 9"--for the smaller lens wraps. The resulting size is 8" x 8" with a half inch seam allowance around. I sew all four sides, except on the last side, I leave two or three inch opening so I can turn the fabric inside out. (UPDATE: this opening should be in the middle of one of the four sides--all corners should be sewn with the sewing machine before turning inside out. I was sewing all but one corner and that is stupid because it's harder to fold in the fabric--after you turn it inside out--on a corner than the middle of a side.)

I trim the seam allowance down close to the seam I just sewed all the way around (leaving a little more of a seam allowance near the opening).

I turn it inside out pushing the corners out with a pen or a long stick. I flatten it out as best as I can and start stitching right around the very edge. For the opening I turn it in by hand continue stitching over it along the very edge, continuing the outer edge seam.

I then use a ruler and draw two lines, from one corner to another, making an X. I sew along these pen lines. The reason I do this is to keep the inner fabric in place so it wont shift around. The storebought lens wrap had this, so I figured I should too. You could use some thread other than black if you like--to help match the fabric--but I just made it easy and did it all black since I need black thread to match the black velcro pieces.

I just bought the sew on velcro since it is less money than the adhesive. You'd have to sew it on anyways. I guess there is iron on as well but it costs more and I don't know if I'd trust that as much as a seam. I imagine the adhesive would help keep it in place while you sewed it but I didn't have any problem using my hand holding it in place as I sewed it--after you start the seam it pretty much holds itself in place anyways.

I put the velcro pieces on with them slightly hanging over the edge of the wrap. After they are sewn on I trim the edge with scissors to make it flush with the lens wrap fabric.

For the 8 x 8 wrap, I use 3" long pieces of velcro (for both the inner and outer). for a 11 x 11 wrap I use 4" pieces.

For the outer fabric I'd recommend canvas, something thick and/or waterproof, or some upholstery fabric. I got some upholstery fabric samples (18 x 18) for 25 cents a piece on clearance--they were like $30 a yard.. so it's some nice fabric Check the remnant bin in Jo-Ann's for upholstery fabric--fabric is like 1/2 off in it. I just bought 1/3rd of a yard of $19.99/yard upholstery fabric from the remnant bin today at Jo-Ann's, half off, for only $1.73. I made a lens wrap from it and have enough fabric left to make like 3 or 4 more--but I want different fabric for every wrap so I can identify them easily. I'll end up using extra fabric for something else I'm sure.

I love sewing I'm saving a lot of money since I learned how and the machines are affordable. I got a singer 15-91 for like $60--mine made in 1955--and it's built like a tank (30 lbs) and looks new.. put some car wax on it the other day

Last edited by geekette; 04-28-2011 at 01:38 AM.
04-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is a picture of my sewing machine (Singer 15-91) that I took on my iphone 4 with Hipstamatic--toy camera emulator.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
201  Photo 
04-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got an idea for this battery holder from DIYPhotography.net. I use some 1 1/2" wide elastic, 21cm long. I fold it in half and sew a seam along the edge holding it together. Then from the folded end I measure in 21mm and make a seam. I make three more seams 21mm apart. I then put a black dot on the elastic towards one edge.

When the batteries are charged I place them in the holder with the positive end of the battery on the black dot side. When the battery needs charging, I place it in the holder with the positive end of the battery on the opposite edge of the black dot.

Easy peasy I think it cost me around 30 cents a piece to make--just a guess.

Attached Images

Last edited by geekette; 04-27-2011 at 12:20 AM.
04-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Here is a picture of my sewing machine (Singer 15-91) that I took on my iphone 4 with Hipstamatic--toy camera emulator.
Cool! I had a Singer of that vintage for awhile (was storing it for my sister) and it would sew through ANYTHING!

Thanks for posting this thread. I was actually thinking just yesterday that lens wraps could probably be made for a fraction of what they sell for as photo accessories. Good work!

Steve
04-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #9

I use a neopreane stubby holder for my lenses its the Australian way
04-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Neopreane stubby holder? Can you upload a pic?
04-27-2011, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I knew I'd find a use for that remnant fabric I had recently bought a KM bundle from ebay that included a Vivitar 52mm Polarizing Lens. It came on a lens in the bundle, with the lens cap over it. I've had no way to safely store this lens cap so I sewed a little case for it Cost me around 20 cents in materials.

Seam doesn't look the prettiest--did it kinda fast lol.. but it'll do.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4  Photo 
04-27-2011, 03:02 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Neopreane stubby holder? Can you upload a pic?
Protect your Extension Tubes in a Stubby Holder : Martin Pot - Photography Blog

looks like this...
04-27-2011, 04:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hi Michael,

The soft part of the velcro set goes on the inside.....

Thank you Geekette for the detailed instructions. I've web archived your post & printed it out and shall have a go at some home made wraps. I've also noticed how expensive the commercially made ones are and the nice thing about the home made ones is that you can generally use better material and if something does fail, you know how to fix it. I might have a go at making something to keep my treasured Metz flashes in as well. New flashes always seem to come with nice bags that don't work the way you WANT them to work!!

Michael
04-27-2011, 07:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For each seam end, make sure you go forward, back then forward to lock the seam in--so it can't pull apart.
04-27-2011, 07:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

For each seam end, make sure you go forward, back then forward to lock the seam in--so it can't pull apart.
Will do, actually that's one piece of advice I remember my Mum teaching me many years ago (45yrs! Scary!) when I used to be allowed to 'play' with her sewing machine and do some very basic stuff.

Our ancestors live on in us.