Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2011, 04:58 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Getting by with One Really Good Filter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

With the K-7 the need for most filters is eliminated except for polarizing and ND filters; for me a first rate polarizing filter especially is a must have. I bought one of the best, the Hoya Pro1 Digital Circular filter at a cost of about $75.

I like a compact kit, so I live with only five carefully-chosen lenses (tho I'd like two more down the road); compactness goes for accessories too, which is why (along with cost savings) I wanted to use one polarizing filter for all my lenses. Another relevant fact, my lenses (all Voightlanders) have hoods that make it impossible to attach filters easily.

My solution was to combine step up/down filter rings and inexpensive rubber hoods. The step up/down ring allowed all my lenses to accept 52mm hoods, and I then bought five 52mm rubber lens hoods that also allow a 52mm filter to be screwed into the front of them, as you can see in the picture (the Hoya is on the 58mm lens on the left):

Last but not least I bought a 52mm Hoya polarizing filter, and wala I am able to use one filter for all my lenses, and to do so without having to change or remove hoods. I had to buy a few generic lens caps to fit the new hoods, but I bought the hoods and caps here for a total cost of about $28. The hoods work great, a three stage thingy for wide, normal, and telephoto lenses (the only downside was, it took the guy 18 days to get them to me from China, but free shipping). I like the collapsible hoods since they are compact (of course), but they protect the lens somewhat too because of the rubber around them, and the rubber also helps the lens stick in my camera bag compartments so they are better secured in there.

The common wisdom is, make your filter size fit the biggest diameter lens, and then step down from there (to avoid possible vignetting). Though my biggest filter requirement is 58mm, I went with a 52mm filter because I had already tested that and knew a 52mm filter set up didn't vignette on that lens (vignetting would be the biggest problem for a wide angle lens).

Last edited by les3547; 06-14-2011 at 01:19 PM.
04-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice and thanks for the info.
04-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I have for a quick setup is a dedicated hood for my polarizing filter, and everything step-rings to that filter: often they have their own hoods on the appropriate step ring. Then when I'm using the polarizer, I just swap the whole affair like a filter.
06-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bookmarking this thread.
Nice collection of Voigtlaenders...