Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Extension tube problem.

Hi

I bought soligor extension set for p/af. It has 8 contacts but not AF screw.

With 18-55 II it works perfectly.

With DA L 50-200 it wont stop down! Why?? What is the difference between 18-55 II and DA L 50-200?

LeGu

06-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeGuillotine Quote
Hi

With 18-55 II it works perfectly.

With DA L 50-200 it wont stop down! Why?? What is the difference between 18-55 II and DA L 50-200?

LeGu
With DAL 50-200 does the camera know the lens is mounted? If flashing F-- in the viewfinder the camera does not know the lens is mounted... If that's the problem use aluminum foil to correct the situation.
06-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi

Do you mean 7 contacts? (The 8th contact is probably the Ricoh pin).

I've never tested a 7-contact extension tube with the DA-L 50-200, but I did with DA* lenses and found that DA* lenses did not work with 7-contact ET. The seventh contact needs to be grounded (with aluminum foil) for the DA* lenses to work.

Read this post.

Try grounding the 7th pin and report back.

Last edited by SOldBear; 06-01-2011 at 01:24 PM.
06-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #4

Original Poster
Yes You are right, it is ricoh pin but it is those round ones, look picture. What is pin number 7 and what I should get grounded?

LeGu

Attached Images

06-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Here it is:

To ground this pin, use a small piece of aluminum foil between the extension tube and the lens. The piece of foil is just to cover pin 7.

Try this temporarily to see if it fixes the problem. If it does, we'll find a more permanent solution.
06-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Here it is:

To ground this pin, use a small piece of aluminum foil between the extension tube and the lens. The piece of foil is just to cover pin 7.

Try this temporarily to see if it fixes the problem. If it does, we'll find a more permanent solution.
If covering pin 7 fails, cover all the pins with foil & see if that works.

Also, is F--showing in the viewfinder? That's an important diagnostic tool; if it is flashing it may mean that the A pin is not making appropriate contact even though it may look ok.

Notice the A pin on the camera is recessed; therefore the A pin on the tube must be extended so it touches the camera's recessed pin. It must also be grounded... sometimes simply wiggling the tube a bit will bring a wayward A pin into alignment with the camera's recessed pin.

Last edited by newarts; 06-02-2011 at 12:01 PM.
06-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Also, is F--showing in the viewfinder?
No. It works perfectly, but it won't stop down. When I turn wheel it changes aperture but when I try dof preview nothing happends. Well I hear the sound that body makes it moves.

18-55 II works perfectly with extensions.

I have to try that grounding.

LeGu

06-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
Inactive Account

No. It works perfectly, but it won't stop down. When I turn wheel it changes aperture but when I try dof preview nothing happends. Well I hear the sound that body makes it moves.

18-55 II works perfectly with extensions.

I have to try that grounding.

LeGu
If not the Data pin (your pin 7) I doubt it is a pin grounding problem as you can hear the mechanism work. As it works with the 18-55 could it be that the aperture lever at the lens end is not engaging the lens aperture lever on the DAL?
06-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

with extension tubes you can some times get into trouble if you do not mount them in the correct sequence, by this I mean tube to lens or tube to bidy first. usually the tube itself does not have any springs to centralize the aperture lever, and force it to engage with the lens.
06-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
usually the tube itself does not have any springs to centralize the aperture lever, and force it to engage with the lens.
When 50-200 is not attached to camera, aperture blades are allmost closed and when I attach lens to the body then it is wide open. If set f/22 and try dof preview viewfinder gets dark.

When I attach lens to tube it is still closed down. When I put that lens+et combo to body it opens wide open. Again I set f/22 and try dof preview, nothing happens. Body makes sound but lens wont stop down.

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts:
If not the Data pin (your pin 7) I doubt it is a pin grounding problem as you can hear the mechanism work. As it works with the 18-55 could it be that the aperture lever at the lens end is not engaging the lens aperture lever on the DAL?
I tried grounding but nothing changed. aperture levers seems identical between 18-55 and 50-200.

LeGu
06-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is possible the aperture lever on the 50-200 is ever so slightly different than the one on the 18-55. Might not be noticeable by eye. I bought a used lens that exhibited this behavior. I had to bend the aperture lever just slightly so it made contact.

Might not be out of spec, just slightly one way and extension tube is slightly out the other way so the combination just misses.

What happens with just the extension tube? Can you see the camera moving the lever?
06-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #12

Original Poster
Good morning (Clock is 07.35 here in Finland)

When I ground all contacts I can set aperture from 1.2-22 and then aperture blades works right.
Without tinfoil I tried that I didn't twist combo to lock position, then I get F-- but aperture blades works!
It is some electronic problem.

LeGu
12-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #13

Original Poster
Hello

It was that grounding problem. At first test that foil wasnt on right place.
Thanks guys.
Now I have to figure how to grounded permanently.

I noticed somethin interesting, smallest extension works perfectly when attached only with 50-200.

LeGU