Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-02-2011, 03:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What ND filter?

Hi, first of all sorry if this is in the wrong section. I am looking for an ND filter to allow me to take long exposures in the middle of the day. Most of my lenses have a 49mm thread so that will be the diameter of the filter too. I don't know how many stops to choose though. Is Hoya HMC NDx8 ok? And do ND filters induce flare, softness or reduce IQ? Many thanks.

08-02-2011, 04:04 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thread moved. Do consider posting in the forum that is most relevant to your topic to ensure you get a captive audience to your threads.

As for your request, there are a number of varieties of ND filters, and the higher the number, the greater the blockage of incident light intensity (and therefore permitting longer exposures). It depends on your needs whether you should go for a 4x or 8x filter, but sticking with Hoya HMC will ensure that there will be negligible effect on IQ.
08-02-2011, 04:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Hi, first of all sorry if this is in the wrong section. I am looking for an ND filter to allow me to take long exposures in the middle of the day. Most of my lenses have a 49mm thread so that will be the diameter of the filter too. I don't know how many stops to choose though. Is Hoya HMC NDx8 ok? And do ND filters induce flare, softness or reduce IQ? Many thanks.
What shutter speed do you want to achieve, that will determine which ND filter to buy.
08-02-2011, 06:35 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is also the ability to stack the filters. So you could buy 2, say a 2 and 4, stack then essentially creating a third filter of a 6, or get a 4 and an 8 to also provide a 12. In this way you will have the ability to somewhat adjust the amount of filtering achieved to some degree.

Singh-Ray's Vari-ND is an adjustable filter, where you can "dial in" the amount of filtering you want. Along the same line of thinking, I understand you can make your own variable ND filter by taking two polarizing filters and stack them. Then by rotating one over the other, you create the ability to "dial in" the amount of filtering. I have also read that for this stacking of two polarizing filters you can use two linear polarizers rather than 2 of the more expensive circular polarizing filters (CPLs).

08-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Middle of the day and no filter could be f16 and 1/60 or 1/125th under bright conditions. So how long is "long" for you? Start subtracting stops from those numbers and you'll see that a 10-stop ND filter will get you down to 8 or 16 seconds under those conditions. Not very long by my "long exposure" book. I'd say get a 9 or 10 stop ND filter. And possibly a 3-stop as well. The 3-stop will cover situations in lower light or twilight that a 9 or 10-stop will be too much.

The Hoya NDX400 is about 9-stops and is pretty "neutral". The B&W 10-stop ND filter, on the other hand, has a color cast and they finally started advertising that.
08-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Middle of the day and no filter could be f16 and 1/60 or 1/125th under bright conditions. So how long is "long" for you? Start subtracting stops from those numbers and you'll see that a 10-stop ND filter will get you down to 8 or 16 seconds under those conditions. Not very long by my "long exposure" book. I'd say get a 9 or 10 stop ND filter. And possibly a 3-stop as well. The 3-stop will cover situations in lower light or twilight that a 9 or 10-stop will be too much.

The Hoya NDX400 is about 9-stops and is pretty "neutral". The B&W 10-stop ND filter, on the other hand, has a color cast and they finally started advertising that.
Oh ok, this is the kind of info I was searching for. Of course 1/60 is not "slow shutter speed" and neither is 16 seconds (that would be about average). But I get the point: add one stop and you can double the shutter speed. Then what filters would be best suited to make seawater and clouds look creamy? (read "what shutter speed is necessary", I can do the math myself).
08-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Oh ok, this is the kind of info I was searching for. Of course 1/60 is not "slow shutter speed" and neither is 16 seconds (that would be about average). But I get the point: add one stop and you can double the shutter speed. Then what filters would be best suited to make seawater and clouds look creamy? (read "what shutter speed is necessary", I can do the math myself).
You're shooting digital, no? Well, you can always take more than one shot and combine to make even a longer exposure, I hear. The duration you need all depends on speed of things of course. Slow moving clouds it could take a long time. Really creamy ocean will depend on how high the white caps of the waves are. Here are some example on BW film to give you an idea.

240 Seconds

60 Seconds. And would probably look the same at 30 sec

60 Seconds

120 Seconds

08-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Those shots are great. And thanks for the shutter speed information, pretty precious stuff. By the way, where can one find this type of scenery?
08-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Those shots are great. And thanks for the shutter speed information, pretty precious stuff. By the way, where can one find this type of scenery?
Thanks. Click on a picture and it will take you to my Flickr page where I have it identified on the map feature. But they are along the Oregon/Washington coast in the USA.
08-09-2011, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The B&W 10-stop ND filter, on the other hand, has a color cast and they finally started advertising that.
I always wondered if it had a color cast. It is a very dark filter; it blacks out the view finder almost completely (although you can still use LV). Generally, I have found that I can correct whatever color issues are caused by the B&W with white balance corrections in post. But occasionally I'll run across an image that cannot be corrected for realistic colors, irrespective of what I do with it.

Whatever its defects, I have enjoyed using the B&W 3.0 10 stop filter, and have taken some of my best photos with it:

I believe the exposure for all these images was around 30 seconds.

Last edited by northcoastgreg; 08-09-2011 at 10:20 AM.
08-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Fantastic images, guys!

My mind is racing with ideas.............this will keep me busy for months!
08-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can also consider fader ND..
08-10-2011, 06:33 AM   #13

I've used the B+W 113 while in Crete, but never noticed any unrecoverable color cast (it's slightly greenish, but nothing really important)

Note that if you have a K-5, you can use the contrast detection autofocus even with the filter on (was working even on sunset light)
08-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I just got a ND400 the other day and can't wait to try that sucker out.