Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #1

Need help - battery grip

Recently bought a k10d with battery grip on it, its a good purchase and had no issues at all while shooting
now I wanted to charge the battery in the camera and tried to unscrew the battery grip its very hard,
was looking for options as I dont want to apply brute force.
any suggestions are welcome

08-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It might have been screwed overly tightly, which is possible, and will need firm but gentle cajoling to get it loosened. Perhaps that's the reason why it was sent to you with the grip on? (Uusually it's shipped separately)

Last edited by Ash; 08-05-2011 at 01:19 PM.
08-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Rubber glove should do.
08-03-2011, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not From Experience But...

I don't have/use a grip on my K20d--but a thought--to which owners with the grip may chime in on. Namely, if you put it in the freezer, would differential contraction between the grip material and the attachment metal screw (I presume) allow you to remove it (before it warms back up). If it is plastic vs. metal (screw) it seems it would get looser. In fact warming the screw with finger warmth may also help. Again this is theoretical--not based on experience with a grip.

08-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for suggestions, but in vain
will try few other options before heading to nearby camera dealer
08-03-2011, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sram327 Quote
thanks for suggestions, but in vain
will try few other options before heading to nearby camera dealer
Use brute force, what do you think a camera dealer can do for you that you cannot? Whoever sold you the camera probably tightened the grip mounting screw very hard. Try wearing a latex coated work/gardening gloves to loosen up the mounting screw, it can improve your grip strength many fold.

Thanks,
08-03-2011, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep trying, including getting someone stronger to give it a go. All the best.

08-03-2011, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Worth a try?

Get someone to hold the camera very solidly. VERY SOLIDLY. Use both hands and get a thumb/finger nail into the notches on the wheel and apply solid, steady, and strong force (hence the "hold the camera steady") and turn. If necessary, take a breath and try again. I put my battery grip on my K10D too tight the first time I put it on and that's how I got it loose. It took a couple trys but it came loose.
Needless to say, I only tighten it till it stops now rather than cranking it down.
08-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #9

Original Poster
i am really thankful to all of you for your suggestions, i tried with my fiance but apparently we are not that strong, will try with my friend tomorrow and update you all.

go Pentax go....
08-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I don't have/use a grip on my K20d--but a thought--to which owners with the grip may chime in on. Namely, if you put it in the freezer, would differential contraction between the grip material and the attachment metal screw (I presume) allow you to remove it (before it warms back up). If it is plastic vs. metal (screw) it seems it would get looser. In fact warming the screw with finger warmth may also help. Again this is theoretical--not based on experience with a grip.
That's often a good tactic with stuck threads, though in this case it may be less effective: the screws and tripod socket, are often made of similar stuff and of similar thickness, so they might chill and re-warm up together pretty much at the same time, but it could be worth a try. I suspect it'll work better as it starts to warm up, and I'd be concerned about condensation in the camera body, of course.

(The screw and socket themselves will both be metal, btw, )
08-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #11

Original Poster
thanks for all your help, my friend and me tried for 15 mins and boom it worked.
Thanks again!! Pentax forum Rocks!!!!
08-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Wow, someone really put an effort in screwing the grip on
08-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good work, now only screw it on just slightly less than hand tight to prevent this from happening again (and allowing for slight expansion in hot weather).
08-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Wow!

QuoteOriginally posted by sram327 Quote
thanks for all your help, my friend and me tried for 15 mins and boom it worked.
Thanks again!! Pentax forum Rocks!!!!
I'm glad to hear that you had success, my next suggestion would have included the use of a hammer and a screwdriver.....
08-08-2011, 12:42 AM   #15

Original Poster
ha ha..
I found out that the grip was there like that for 3 or 4 oths and hence could be one reason for stay on..
anyway - no need for hammers / screw drivers

thanks again - for all help / suggestions