Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #1

DG 530 Super Wireless w/ k-x Issues

Hi,

I have been trying to practice/learn with off camera flash using the onboard flash as a trigger. In PTTL mode, it works flawlessly (save for the typical PTTL issues), but when I try to use the wireless manual settings, I am having some weird issues. I have my flash (530 super) set to manual wireless (C0/SL) and my k-x set to wireless flash and the flash fires, but the problem is sync, from 1/1 to 1/16 the flash fires fine, but it happens pre/post exposure so it is not registered in the photo, however 1/32 and 1/64 work just great.

I have tried other channels, I have tried setting the camera to master and controller, but the only way the flash fires is if it is set to C0 and the camera is set to master and I cannot resolve the 1/1 to 1/16 power problem.... I have tried every possible shutter speed from 1" through 1/180" with no luck.

So basically, camera set to Master, 1" to 1/180" shutter speed and Flash set to Manual, C0/SL 1/16 or 1/32 works, changing any one of these elements doesnt...

Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something simple here?

09-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Read this thread. When you use the DG 530 in "dumb" slave mode, its behavior is exactly like that of the Bower in that thread.

And this thread.

Set your camera in 2 second delay mode, and you'll see that the DG 530 is triggered by the preflash strobe (before the mirror goes up).

When you set the DG 530 to low power, it still has power to be triggered the second time by the main strobe of the camera's built-in flash.
10-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, SOldbear.

I had a feeling I was missing something simple....

I was at the point where I felt like I had to choose to abandon learning to use manual off-camera flash (at least for now) or I had to invest even more money in radio triggers but I noticed you mentioned this issue can be mitigated by using a manual aperture lens (non-A) in another threads but I have not had a chance to try it out, but that would be perfect as I am a casual hobbyist at best and already invested way more money than I ever imagined I would when I wandered into a camera store a couple years ago....
10-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bob_00 Quote
....already invested way more money than I ever imagined I would when I wandered into a camera store a couple years ago....
Hahaha.....

Don't we all have to cross that bridge.

When I bought my first DSLR, I'd never imagined I'd spend $1000 for a lens. Now look at my list of equipment....

Another way to do this is to use an external flash unit, ideally one with a wide range of power ratio settings in manual mode and use it on camera to trigger optically triggered slave flashes. If you want a small flash unit, you can get something like a Pentax AF160: