Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Eye-fi

I just ordered a Eye-Fi 2X pro 8 GB (http://store.apple.com/be-nl-business/product/H0676VC/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY) and was looking around here for that thread on this subject I saw a while ago, but couldn't find it.
Anyway, it should be arriving tomorrow and I hope to get it to transmit the RAW files from my K-5 to the MacBook.
For they who managed it: any suggestions?

Thanx!

10-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

From what I've read, it's so slow as to be useless. I haven't used one myself, but you might want to ensure it has a good return policy before opening it up and using it, in case it sucks.
10-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just purchased one from a member here recently.
I found that it works great on my k-x but it did not transmit when used on my k-5.
I have not had time tofigure out the issue yet.
Let us know how it goes for you.
10-03-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Works well in instant mode, less well in batch mode - batch transfer takes about 15 seconds per picture for jpeg.
I wish they had written their program better for batch mode.

10-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not for using it to transfer RAW files...way too slow (it's one channel 802.11n...10MBit/sec in real life IIRC).
Do this and you'll be ok with it: set your camera to take RAW+JPEG....set JPEG to smallest size possible...set the eye-fi to delete files after they're sent.
10-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Not for using it to transfer RAW files...way too slow (it's one channel 802.11n...10MBit/sec in real life IIRC).
Do this and you'll be ok with it: set your camera to take RAW+JPEG....set JPEG to smallest size possible...set the eye-fi to delete files after they're sent.
Thank you all for responding!

Kenyee, this sounds interesting and I will try that for sure, but is suppose that then the RAW file will be saved on the SD card and only the JPEG will be send?
So, I will have to find the way to separate these two files, one for sending and one for keeping on the card, how to proceed?
Is there a way that both files would be transferred and that, while waiting for the RAW, the JPEG can be viewed?
10-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
yes, the card will store RAW+JPEG. You can configure it to only send JPEG. No, you can't do both and send JPEG first. One or both...

10-10-2011, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I finally received that EYE-FI card yesterday, it took about 7 days to be shipped from the Netherlands to Belgium (it's about 144km from Waalwijk to here; I think it came by a horse pulled lorry, which is very ecologic).
Anny way, it works as a charm! It's transmitting Raw files, fast enough to my taste, if the camera is whit in 4m to 5m from the MacBook.
It just took me some time to realize that the Eye-Fi Card (having it's own SSID and WAP2 password) had to be added as a full AirPort network.
It's funny to see that pictures, shot when the Eye-Fi is not connected, are transmitted in a later stage when there is a connection. Pictures shot yesterday evening where appearing this morning when the camera and the MacBook were fired up, and the Wifi was connected.
12-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Is the Eye-fi card always "on"? In other words, are you getting taking a hit on battery life just because you've got it inserted or is it only active when you have the accompanying application running? I was thinking of getting one for my S95 but with a battery that small, every extra bit of juice counts...
12-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The card only uses power to transmit the photos - once that is done I don't think it would be drawing power - you can set the idle time but I can't recall if that is for the card itself or the app I use on my android phone. I bought a 16gb microSD card for my android phone - I have the card setup to send both raw and jpeg to my android phone, then when I get home my phone uploads to my pc, and from there to a private online picasa album as well. Since I am not a high volume shooter (tend to compose and think about my shots rather than click click click and hope for the best), the speed of transfer hasn't been an issue. Jpegs are about 15 seconds, raw 2-3 times that based on file size - this is using my K-5. Since it is set to transfer to my phone which is always in my pocket or close by, I haven't had any non-transfer issues yet, very happy with it! You can also customize the folder destination, including the titling of the folders and how often new folders are created based on either making them daily, monthly, annually, or just set a generic folder.

the card instructions recommend you set your camera to its' longest 'sleep' mode (i.e. 30 minutes) to ensure ongoing transfers.
12-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Thanks for the feedback. Guess the easiest way to confirm is to take advantage of the Christmas sales & easy returns and test it out over the next few weeks.

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
The card only uses power to transmit the photos - once that is done I don't think it would be drawing power - you can set the idle time but I can't recall if that is for the card itself or the app I use on my android phone. I bought a 16gb microSD card for my android phone - I have the card setup to send both raw and jpeg to my android phone, then when I get home my phone uploads to my pc, and from there to a private online picasa album as well. Since I am not a high volume shooter (tend to compose and think about my shots rather than click click click and hope for the best), the speed of transfer hasn't been an issue. Jpegs are about 15 seconds, raw 2-3 times that based on file size - this is using my K-5. Since it is set to transfer to my phone which is always in my pocket or close by, I haven't had any non-transfer issues yet, very happy with it! You can also customize the folder destination, including the titling of the folders and how often new folders are created based on either making them daily, monthly, annually, or just set a generic folder.

the card instructions recommend you set your camera to its' longest 'sleep' mode (i.e. 30 minutes) to ensure ongoing transfers.
12-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

If you're looking for a trial I'd consider picking up the Connect X2 - at half the price, it does everything but raw transfer, public hotspot and geotagging. That was how I inadvertently ended up with the X2 pro card, I liked the connect function enough to want to use it all the time for all files. Should be able to find the connect x2 for under $40 - if you don't fall in love you can always still use it for less serious occasions when jpeg only makes sense.
01-23-2012, 05:26 AM   #13

Just wanting to give this a bit of a bump to see if the eye-fi is still working well with the K-5? I ask because the K-5 isn't actually listed as being supported by the card itself.

How well does the geotagging work? Is it fairly accurate? Is the set up painful? I'm trying to find a way of getting my photos geotagged without a ton of extra steps in my workflow and giving myself an enormous headache.
01-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I do have the same card. Work perfectly with the K-5. It transfer my photo to the Ipad with a charm.
I have not look at the geo tagging
01-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by justfoxie Quote
Just wanting to give this a bit of a bump to see if the eye-fi is still working well with the K-5? I ask because the K-5 isn't actually listed as being supported by the card itself.

How well does the geotagging work? Is it fairly accurate? Is the set up painful? I'm trying to find a way of getting my photos geotagged without a ton of extra steps in my workflow and giving myself an enormous headache.
Well, I have the Pentax GPS add on.---- If it is functioning when you take the photo there is no extra work.