Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2007, 12:34 AM   #1

Contax - Yashica lens adapter?

Hello!

I have a friend, who is a long time Yashica user and, he has acquired quite a collection of fairly good Contax/Yashica glass (with Yashica bayonet mount). He is considering to jump on the digital train ad was quite impressed with the Pentax K100D and K10D bodyes.
His only concern, or should I say, wish is, that he would like to use his old lenses with new body.
If anyone knows where to buy a Contax/Yashica (CY) to Pentax K adapter, the information will be much appreciated.

Thank You!

Regards,
Bostjan

12-14-2007, 08:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no C/Y to PK adapter. I can forward you a link to show how to non-destructively remove the C/Y mount and replace it with a donor PK mount if he's interested in that - otherwise Canon EOS or Oly 4/3rds are the only digital options for his lenses.
12-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd appreciate it if you'd post that link. I found it a while ago and forgot to bookmark it.
12-14-2007, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
I'd appreciate it if you'd post that link. I found it a while ago and forgot to bookmark it.
How to convert Yashica/Contax to M42 mount Photo Gallery by Wesley Wong at pbase.com

12-14-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks. That was actually different than the one I had come across before. I ended up finding it again today. Manual Focus Forum / My new camera and lens. No pictures to guide use as a guide, but the same basic thing.
12-17-2007, 12:46 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys for Your help. I suspected that the C/Y to PK mount will be a hard one...

Regards,
Bostjan
01-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I'm wondering if this is still the best information available about using Yashica len' on a Pentax ( K10 in my case )

I was talking to a guy who does house clearances today and I had my camera with me, so he started the sales pitch and eventually sold me a dead Weston Master 1V for next to nothing, but that's another story.
He's got to clear a house this week and there's a full kit of Yashica equipment, he thinks there's about 6 or 7 lenses, a couple of bodies and loads of 'stuff' ( flashes, filters etc )

My thinking is, if there's a full kit then someone was keen, if they were keen then it might have some good stuff?

If it's Yashica bayonet is the conversion to M42, as detailed in the link, worth the bother?

How to convert Yashica/Contax to M42 mount Photo Gallery by Wesley Wong at pbase.com

Could they be converted to a Pentax bayonet?

Are there particular Yashica lenses that I should pay good money for?

Or should I walk away and spend the money on beer?

01-30-2010, 11:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That conversion looks pretty mechanically straightforward as such things go.

If you can convert a lens to M42, you can convert it to K mount. Many conversions go with M42 because you can get cheap flanged M42 adaptors and use the flange area for your countersunk holes, then mount the lens on a K body with an M42 to K adaptor. I'm not aware of a source of cheap flanged K mounts on their own so if you go that route you will need a supply of cheap/broken donor lenses that you can harvest mounts from.
01-31-2010, 05:03 AM   #9
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know much about the various Contax mounts, but if this can be of any help...
Zeiss Contax lens for Pentax cameras
01-31-2010, 07:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A bizarre coincidence that someone revived this thread. I was just searching the forum yesterday as I noticed the Zeiss Sonnar 85 and Distagon 28 for my wife's Contax, that have not been used in more than a decade.

Thanks.

Last edited by GeneV; 01-31-2010 at 08:01 AM.
01-31-2010, 11:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
I don't know much about the various Contax mounts, but if this can be of any help...
Zeiss Contax lens for Pentax cameras
I spent ages trawling the internet yesterday looking for information, and I kept looking for Yashica, which is why I didn't find this superb source of all the info' I might need.
Thanks.
02-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It wasn't Yashica in the end, it was Konica, which is even harder to fit.

Shame, there was some nice, but probably not special, lenses in the collection.
02-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

He could always use them for film work. I've got a Konica kit here that I've never used, but should I ever decide to try my hand at film, I'm set.
10-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thread revival!

I just got a C/Y mount Yashica ML 50/1.4 for US$10 shipped. Yeah, awesome price, eh? But of course it doesn't quite fit a PK mount. So I see a couple online tutorials (at Pbase and Leitax) about modding C/Y mounts by replacing the C/Y bayonet with a flanged M42-PK adapter, of which I have plenty. But I have questions.

1) Is the ML 50/1.4 worth enough more than US$10 that I should just resell it? I mean, I have an M42 Yashinon 50/1.7, and a FA50/1.4, and a Sears-Tomioka 55/1.4, so how much do I need this one, and what's it worth if I don't convert it? For that matter, what's it worth if I *DO* convert it?

2) I put the C/Y base into a macro-tube's PK mount and I can see where the C/Y bayonet hangs up on the PK lugs. In fact, it looks rather like the same hang-up on an OM lens base. I shaved away a little from the OM bayonet flags and they slide right under the PK lugs, for an acceptable grip. And the lens will still fit into its old native mount. Has anyone here tried this with a C/Y mount?