Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #1

Opening an O-RC1 remote?

Anyone know how to open the weatherproof O-RC1 remote?

I've got the four Philips screws removed, and I can see the silicone O-ring around the perimeter, but it's fastened in the center somehow.

I don't think there's another screw there.....I can't detect anything under the sticker on the back anyway.....

12-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #2

Original Poster
Nobody?
12-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It might be worth it to perform an empirical experiment Leave it in your pool or bathtub overnight!
12-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Hi!

I'm a bit late but I don't feel like leaving this topic unanswered now I did it. Basically the electronic board is glued to the top plastic panel (where the buttons are). You have to pull pretty hard to unglue it. Don't be afraid, there is no screw that hold both parts, just increase the pressure slowly enough to avoid breaking the board with a strong motion.

So once you removed the 4 screws, take a small, flat screwdriver and introduce it gently in the crack (you'll have to fiddle a bit to take the top and bottom apart). Now take a bigger flat screwdriver and introduce it just beside the first one. Turn it 45-90° to take both parts apart. They'll stick. Now put the screwdriver back flat and move it along the perimeter of the remote, turning it 45-90° at regular intervals. If necessary, repeat with a 3rd, bigger screwdriver. At some point you'll hear the glue being torn apart. Pull a bit more... there you are!

Just a notice before you proceed: beware of the diode on the top, you may damage it if you pull to hard on the top part. Also when the gap widens, on the left you have a small black capacitor and a big orange plastic thing that your screwdriver may damage. So your attack should come from the bottom preferentially.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The yellow circle at the bottom is the battery. You need to unscrew two more tiny screws on the board to access it (it is also glued and wielded... cheap electronics!)

Hope it helps!

Last edited by Calimo; 12-16-2012 at 06:12 AM. Reason: not a resistor, sorry!
12-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
PS: just a disclaimer/warning, the above post is about opening the O-RC1. I have no idea if it will ever close back when I'll have replaced the battery, so follow at your own risk obviously