Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #1

right angle viewfinder?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I realise this topic has been discussed before but not, I think, recently.

Is there currently a right angle viewfinder that fits Pentax DSLR's? I would really get some use out of one of these if I could find one. A search on these forums and a Google search revealed the Seagull, which is on Amazon for $52.99. Is it safe to buy camera gear this way? Would this item be worth my money? I would really appreciate some feedback - suggestions - recommendations - price ranges!

02-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I do have the Seagull 1-3.3x that I bought from the Canadian Dealer. It woork fine . All adapter for most of camera
Search Results : ProPhotographyGear.COM!
02-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by canajuneh Quote
I realise this topic has been discussed before but not, I think, recently.

Is there currently a right angle viewfinder that fits Pentax DSLR's? I would really get some use out of one of these if I could find one. A search on these forums and a Google search revealed the Seagull, which is on Amazon for $52.99. Is it safe to buy camera gear this way? Would this item be worth my money? I would really appreciate some feedback - suggestions - recommendations - price ranges!
One of these will do the trick, the "M" version will also work:

PENTAX Refconverter A reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews

Phil.
02-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I took my 35 - 40 year old pentax right angle finder and unscrewed the frame that holds it onto the eye piece and slowly filed it down. It fits really well. I was very please as the old right angle finder is a beautiful piece of optics. I got it second hand about 30 years ago.

02-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
An Olympus 'Varimagni' right angle finder will also fit the K20 & K5 (maybe others, but those are ones I've used it on).

It fits almost as well as the Pentax right angle finder.

The only issue with this type is that the image in the viewfinder is reversed left to right. Still a good item though with 1.2 & 2.5 magnification.
02-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Oly right angle viewfinders designed for the OM system also fit with all Pentax DSLRs and SLRs (starting with the M series). And the Pentax viewfinders fit at the old OM SLRs. And, as Bob from Aus said, RAV for the K series can be modified to fit newer models (from K to M, Pentax made the eyepiece a small amount wider).

Be aware that, starting with the Viewfinder A, Pentax increased the viewing area vertically because of the LCD display at the bottom of the Super/Program A. With older viewfinders, you may have to move your eyes a bit to see everything.

Last edited by RKKS08; 02-09-2012 at 01:43 PM.
02-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
the Seagull 1-3.3x
That looks pretty decent! I'm been half heartedly looking for a refconverter A but no luck so far.

02-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
That looks pretty decent! I'm been half heartedly looking for a refconverter A but no luck so far.
You think you've got problems, try finding a refconverter for a 645! They are made of Unobtanium..... But I finally did find one.... laughs hysterically.....
02-09-2012, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Fotodiox used to sell the "Angle Finder Pro-1" with adapters for several cameras. It has 1.25x and 2.5x and works quite well on the K10D and K-7.
02-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for all the feedback. This is a truly great place to find people who are ready, willing and able to share thoughts and experiences in order to help others!
02-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
A bit pricey but it comes with all the trimmings.

The seller is incorrect about using it on a K Series film body; it’s too big and will flop around. There is a K series version that will do the trick, but in turn it’s too small for M Series or newer viewfinders.

Pentax Refconverter A Right Angle Finder | eBay

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 02-09-2012 at 07:39 PM.
02-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
A bit pricey
Thanks Phil. It's a bit more then I wish to pay but I'm keeping an eye on it.
02-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #13

Original Poster
WoooHooo - today I got a right angle viewer for my K20 and K5. I had to hand over more money than they were asking online for the Seagull though. A few small coins change from $150. It included four useless to me adapters for other camera brands as a 'bonus' I guess.

It fits - it works! I can see camera info at the bottom of the viewfinder - aperture, shutter speed etc.

Hoodman Right Angle Viewer + Hoodman Pentax adapter.
02-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Congrats canajuneh!
02-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I took my 35 - 40 year old pentax right angle finder and unscrewed the frame that holds it onto the eye piece and slowly filed it down. It fits really well. I was very please as the old right angle finder is a beautiful piece of optics. I got it second hand about 30 years ago.
I did the same but used the eye piece cover, and drilled holes in it to achieve the same thing