Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2008, 08:55 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Dicain Vertical Shutter grip for K100D & Super Review

Dicain SG-II Vertical Shutter Release and grip

Many of us purchased our Pentax K100D or K100D Super not only because of the image quality and the reach feature set, but for its size. I preferred a camera that was lighter and easy to carry rather than one of those over sized DSLR's. Soon after getting this camera and getting accustomed to it, I realized that shooting in the portrait position was not only strange but very uncomfortable. I realized now that the extra shutter button and the extra size were very important, and I would not be happy without these items. I also found out that compact size and weight makes a difference when shooting with a long lens and slower shutter speeds. So I was at a cross roads and had to either change cameras which I couldn’t afford, or find a Vertical Shutter release that would work with the K100D Super. After doing a bunch of searches on the Internet I found a few alternatives, but none suited my needs. One contained a battery but no shutter release and another contained both, but was a strange device that fit under the camera and had two exposed wires that plugged into the two jacks on the left of the camera. That was out of the question for both esthetic and practical reasons. The main concern was the door on the camera being to vulnerable to damage when hanging open. While doing my searches I remembered that Dicain (µðÁöÅÐÄ«¸Þ¶ó ¾Ç¼¼»ç¸® Àü¹® Á¦ÀÛ - µðÄ«ÀÎ) made one for the *ist DS series, so I contacted them to ask if one was in the works. I was informed that there was, but it was a few months off. Remembering that Dicain made the cover for my LCD and I was extremely happy with its quality I decided to wait for there version of the vertical shutter release. I have now received the Dicain unit and my impressions are below.

General Information for Dicain SG-II

5.03” Wide (128mm)
2.87” Deep (73mm)
1.53” high (39mm)
3.99 ounces (113g)

First Impressions

My first impressions were that the grip is made out of a good quality material and that the color and texture is a very good match to the finish of the K100D. Even the leather grain looks very good. All in all it looks and feels good and sturdy. The grip adds no real weight to the camera, but does make it feel great in my hands.

Product Review

The unit comes in two pieces, the main unit or grip, and a piece with two male plugs that I call the bridge. The grip installs on the camera to the tripod socket using a thumb wheel which works very well. The main unit or grip contains the button for auto focus and shutter release which works just like the shutter release on the K100D or K100D Super. Half press starts auto focus and full press releases the shutter. In order for the shutter release to work on the grip, the bridge containing the plugs most be inserted. The bridge goes between the remote shutter release jack behind the door on the left of the camera, and the jack on the grip. The bridge completes the circuit between the camera and the grips shutter release. Some people might say why not do it the same way as the SG-1 grip for the *ist DS? The answer is very logical and simple! When the bridge is removed it allows access to the power jack and more important the USB jack. To me this is very important as I use the USB jack as my method to unload photos from the K100D Super. The bridge also covers and protects the door which is exposed to damage as on the Owner User grip. The bridge can be removed when not needed, for those that prefer the grip to remain on the camera and give the pro look.

Pros:

1. Increases the size of camera for better grip.
2. Duplicates the shutter release for portrait orientation.
3. Allows access to both power and USB connection without removing grip.
4. The door that covers ports is protected from damage.
5. Duplicates the tripod socket on the camera.
6. Fits snugly to camera.
7. Matches camera finish very well.
8. Has two mounts for camera strap or wrist strap.
9. Has convenient thumb rest covered in grain material which makes it very comfortable to hold.

Cons:

1. To be honest I have found none to speak of. *Some people might not like the removable bridge, but to it is a big positive.
2. Some might want it to weigh a drop more, but to me it is fine the way it is.

Summation:

I find the grip to be very useful and it does its intended job very well with both style and comfort. I think anyone wanting a vertical shutter release and the larger grip will not go wrong with this product.

01-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will there be version with extra power?!?
Would be even better...
01-19-2008, 10:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Will there be version with extra power?!?
Would be even better...
Sorry I don't think there will be a version with power.
01-21-2008, 12:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is the price and where you can buy it?

01-21-2008, 01:22 AM   #5

I have seen them on ebay for $US130 plus about $28 postage ex Korea

cheers
Keith
01-21-2008, 05:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Keith Quote
I have seen them on ebay for $US130 plus about $28 postage ex Korea

cheers
Keith
That is over priced, Sinbad will be selling them for about $105-$110 plus shipping. Contact Sinbad at sinbad@hanafos.com. But they will be up on EBay any day, and his EBay ID is 7thzedi I will contact him and ask when.
01-21-2008, 06:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joelw135 Quote
That is over priced, Sinbad will be selling them for about $105-$110 plus shipping....
What a reduction!

Come on seriusly... I thnik the fiar price would be about 70$ US tops. There is nothing else that shutter release button in this grip!!

01-21-2008, 09:19 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
What a reduction!

Come on seriusly... I thnik the fiar price would be about 70$ US tops. There is nothing else that shutter release button in this grip!!
Spoke to Sinbad today and he is setting the price to $100.00 US or slightly under plus shipping. At least that is the latest news. It will be up on EBay in a day or so.
01-22-2008, 01:06 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joelw135 Quote
Spoke to Sinbad today and he is setting the price to $100.00 US or slightly under plus shipping. At least that is the latest news. It will be up on EBay in a day or so.
If it is from Korea, we have to add customs duty and tax on that price. Still to much for me. Sorry.
01-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

There is nothing else that shutter release button in this grip!!
all the more room for a strobit open source wireless trigger
01-23-2008, 02:59 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
all the more room for a strobit open source wireless trigger
I don't see any connection to grip in this....
01-23-2008, 04:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't see any connection to grip in this....
oh, the strobit has no real form factor, so i can make it to fit in the grip
01-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
oh, the strobit has no real form factor, so i can make it to fit in the grip
Here is the photo that shows the connection.
08-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #14

This grip works great!

I was a little skeptical when I read some of the reviews, but decided to go ahead and get the Dicain grip for my K100d Super last fall when I saw them on EBAY for only $65, which was half of the original Korean issue price
My son runs on the high school cross country team, so almost all of my shots are portrait oriented, and this grip makes it MUCH more comfortable to hold/shoot and eliminates the chicken-wing stance. Everything fits/works well; I added a thin piece of rubber between the camera body and the top plate of the grip, just to fill in the gap better and make it good and tight. Don't worry about the lack of batteries in the grip... I took the advice of a friend and now use the Energizer 8x Silvers, and I currently have over 970 shots on one set of batteries and the meter bar is still "full". My previous set lasted well over 1300 shots before I had to change 'em out.
I've decided to spend my extra bucks on better lenses for now, instead of upgrading bodies. With this grip and the light-weight of the K100d Super body, I'm good to go all day. ( But that K-7 sure does look nice )
08-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

If only they could have made it like the Travor battery grip!
battery pack AND shutter!
magic and will sell like hot cakes!