Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vivitar extension tube set

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

at KEH, they have these and I want to know if they have the contacts for Auto or not.

AUTO EXT TUBE SET 12, 20, 36 VIVITAR

If I get the right answer today, I'm ordering them today.

06-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No contacts on these ones, but I believe stop down metering is possible though. I'm in the same boat, looking out for a set with contacts.
06-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. I guess I'll keep looking.
06-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Pentax never made any extension tube with contacts.

06-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Vivitar set. They're just fine, but no contacts, only the auto diaphragm mechanism. A nicely made set.
06-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, it doesn't matter now. I knew I shouldn't have linked to them because now they're not listed and KEH says there isn't any in stock.
06-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Consider converting a type A teleconverter to a type A tube by removing the TC'c lens assembly. It is usually very easy to do.

Here's an example currently being bid at ebay for $9: Pentax K/PK KAR 2X Tele-Converter | eBay

To convert this to an extension tube simply unscrew the lens assembly using the slots in the retaining ring.

Scissors can work well for this task

Usually, a 2x TC has a tube about 25mm long & a 3x TC has a tube about 50mm long....

Dave in Iowa

06-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi Dave, thanks. I found a fair few of those online, some as low as $4. Can pair a 2x with a 3x?
06-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok, I ordered two 2x's and one 3x. Plus a AF macro lens I had in my wish list for a month.
06-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Pairing is no problem (in theory and in practice for me at least).

The critical thing is they have the electrical contacts (type PK/A).

Good luck & let us know how it goes. Reporting either success or failure are equally important to the forum.

Dave in Iowa

PS you didn't happen to see any inexpensive 1.4x or 1.5x PK/A TC's did you? (I'm looking to make a short tube.)
06-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Pairing is no problem (in theory and in practice for me at least).
The critical thing is they have the electrical contacts (type PK/A).
Good luck & let us know how it goes. Reporting either success or failure are equally important to the forum.
Dave in Iowa
PS you didn't happen to see any inexpensive 1.4x or 1.5x PK/A TC's did you? (I'm looking to make a short tube.)
First what do you mean they have the electrical contacts? This is one of them I bought:
Pentax Manual Focus 2X MISCELLANEOUS BRAND A TELECONVERTER - KEH.com

I know about reporting back, I'm a mod on three computer help sites.

And no, I didn't see any 1.4 TCs except one and it was $134. I don't call that cheap.
06-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
This is one of them I bought:
Pentax Manual Focus 2X MISCELLANEOUS BRAND A TELECONVERTER - KEH.com
This isn't what you want. It has the same functionality as the Viv AT-22 set you linked originally. That is, it has mechanical aperture linkage for proper stop down metering, but no contacts to use the A position on a lens that has it.

Really, the contacts are only a slight convenience, unless you absolutely have to use the tubes with lenses that don't have an aperture ring at all. I have an AT-22 set and am very happy with them, great build quality.
06-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
This isn't what you want. It has the same functionality as the Viv AT-22 set you linked originally. That is, it has mechanical aperture linkage for proper stop down metering, but no contacts to use the A position on a lens that has it.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. If I take the glass out, won't it just be a tube?

The lens I plan to use it on is the Pentax DA L 18-55mm ll.
06-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
The lens I plan to use it on is the Pentax DA L 18-55mm ll.
OK, so no aperture ring on the lens, which means you'll only be able to shoot at the minimum aperture (f./22 or whatever).

The kind of TC you want has six electrical contacts on it, to act as a pass-through between the camera contacts and the contacts on your kit lens. That will let you set the aperture from the camera body, like you do normally in Av or M modes, and the only way to do it with a lens that hasn't got an aperture ring.

However, the kit lens isn't a great choice for macro work, anyway. If you have any kind of 50mm prime, that would serve much better. If it has an aperture ring, you can still use the TC you bought with it. The process is: Set to M mode. Set the aperture you want on the lens. Press the green button to meter, before shooting.
06-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
the kit lens isn't a great choice for macro work
I think these came out pretty good for a kit lens as macro.
Single in April 2012 - a set on Flickr

This one is in PPG:

I don't use just the lens. I have three closeup stacked on the front plus an element from a defunked 28mm lens.

What I'm attempting now, is getting more lens length.

I have a 50mm but it is so pitted that everything shot with it is blurry.

And it's too late because I already ordered that one, plue two more, one does have the contacts.

Last year I made a tube, and it worked okay, and it didn't any any contacts or anythig else on it. I made it from a beer can, painted black inside, and set on the front of the lens, with the closeups and element on the front of the tube. Someone told me that' not how it's supposed to work, but my homemade rig did work and quite well, I might add.