Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-04-2012, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My new Benro A1350Q1 Blue has arrived!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

EDIT: 08DEC2012 - I have just added this review of the tripod. This review can also be seen in the accessories review section or the tripod review section of this forum.

Benro MeFoto A1350Q1

First off there are two versions of the MeFoto tripod a tiny travel version and a larger transfunctional one. A smaller one that is tiny in size and can only withstand 7-8 lbs and cannot be transformed into a monopod. Then there is a slightly bigger one yet small that can withstand 17-18 lbs and be transformed into a monopod. I bought the A135Q1 which is the bigger one. It also comes in 5 colors, I bought the blue one.

Well for the first time with the tripod today, I extended all of it's leg out and placed my camera on top and did the wiggle wiggle around, it is solid in place and no wobbles. It is very strong and sturdy in place and can withstand between 17 and 18 lbs. I even gave it a little push down with my hands against my chest and this thing is a keeper. My old tripod which is a Amazon $40 dollar one that has less leg sections can't even phase this in quality. The only time this Benro has a wobbly piece into play is when you unscrew the smallest section to pull the leg down, other than that when you screw it back in, it stays in place and is rock steady. This tripod is heavier than it looks but by no means is it too heavy. It's got quite a feel to it, it feels like it has a lot of strength based on it's weight. Once again, it is VERY SOLID for it's size and the amount of leg sections it has. You definitely can tell this tripod is worth in the hundreds pricing. The tripod head's adjustment rings are made of thick high quality rubber and so are the twisties for the leg section. My old Amazon $40 tripod looks like a heavy duty tripod, yet feels like a toy. Yet this Benro Mefoto Transfunctional tripod, looks like a toy, does not feel like one at all. Love it so far, will update more on this post in the future if necessary and needed.

For those who don't know about Benro, it is a chinese brand tripod maker that literally makes Gitzo tripods at fractions of the price. Doesn't mean that it's all out knock-off cheap brand. This brand makes really good tripods, don't let the Made in China fool you.

Advantages:
Extremely compact design for easy around carry. It folds out to about/around 5 feet, 7 inches.
A lot more solid and durable than it looks.
Aluminum designed twist-to-release legs design is more sturdier than plastic clip-to-release designs.
Comes with a decent ball-head that has ability to pan and adjust panning speed.
Ball head has 4 notches to adjust position of head and to adjust friction of rotation needed to move around the head.
Comes with high quality bag for storage. Bag even has a adjustable strap.
Can be turn into a monopod within a few minutes.
Arca Swiss compatible!

Disadvantages:
Heavier than it looks, it's possibly heavy because of the solidity and high build quality.
Twist-to-release leg sections can take awhile to get used to.
May take a little longer to put back into it's folded form than clip-to-release.
Four leg sections rather than three may take up more time to get set-up.
Spirit-bubble(Leveler) is a little small and hard to see.

Walkthrough of my new tripod below.

Other big online stores are selling this tripod for 229 USD, however with my student discount, I only bought it for 125 dollars from a website that sponsors my school.

This tripod is tiny! Just look at the bag and the Tripod (folded) to my DA* 50-135 f2.8, the lens is about 3/5th the size with it's hood attached.

Let's look at the head, it has 4 nozzles to adjust all kinds of stuff.

The Arca Swiss style quick release plate.

It can be taken apart and turned into a monopod!

To quickly and simply extend almost all the length of one tripod leg, simply grab as much of it as you can and twist.

Maximum height is about 5'7, I am 5'8 so this is perfect.

Last edited by LeDave; 12-08-2012 at 08:56 PM.
12-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations, I learned a lot from your post. You need to convert it into a review in the accessories section.
12-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Congratulations, I learned a lot from your post. You need to convert it into a review in the accessories section.
Thanks Docrwm, I will repost this into the tripod review section once I get to use this a little more and make a review out of it.
12-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't think I've ever called a tripod beautiful, but that one sure is.
My blue K-30 needs one of those...

12-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter

looks great, where was it made?
12-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
looks great, where was it made?
Benro is a Chinese brand, so it is made in China. However it is very sturdy for it's size and the amount of leg sections it has.
12-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Benro and Fotopro seem to be basically the same products. They look great and appear to be of a good quality. Pity they're still somewhat expensive. At 125$ I would have bought it too.

I particularly like the monopod/tripod duo.

I generally prefer levers to unlock the legs instead of twisting knobs. I would also like Benro to sell only the legs, as I already have an excellent Vanguard ballhead.

12-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
I don't think I've ever called a tripod beautiful, but that one sure is.
My blue K-30 needs one of those...
A blue K30 on a blue tripod like that would make a striking combo. My (blue) K30 could use some of that too.
12-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I checked and they have 5 colors listed. I can't think of another tripod that is sold in colors other than silver and black. It's a nice idea and the blue is a very nice color.
12-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I checked and they have 5 colors listed. I can't think of another tripod that is sold in colors other than silver and black. It's a nice idea and the blue is a very nice color.
Fotopro is the same as Benro and comes in multiple colors too.
06-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I stumbled onto this tripod on the web and it looks like a nice rig. There are some good reviews on You Tube. The web site is here - MeFOTO Travel Tripods | Compact Tripods in Eight Color Choices

These tripods are tailor made for Pentax users... you can match the color of your camera to your tripod.
06-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I agree the blue looks very nice. Feisol originally made their tripods in red, blue, or black... but now are just black.

Horusbennu (a Korean brand, made in China) makes some crazy-colored travel tripods as well, but I've no idea what they are like. Benro is already pretty well-known for having decent quality tripods for the price.
06-29-2013, 04:31 AM   #13

Benro MeFoto A1350Q1 Available on aliexpress, free shipping for $189.