Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Manfrotto Ball Head MH057M0-RC4 057 anyone have this one ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

There were 7 good reviews on BH site. Just wondering if anyone here has this particular model and what they thought of it. For Canadians the price I can find at the Brick and Motar stores is no where here near this price (only Vistek had it in stock, others do not even list it)

MANFROTTO MH057M0-RC4 057

04-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #2

Don't have this Manfrotto head but do own 2 others. The pistol grip head is great & it has adjustable tension. My tripod is one of the best I've ever seen. I'm sure this one will live up tp Manfrotto's reputation.
04-05-2013, 02:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well the reviews were good - I also own the Pistol Grip - added to cart - hopefully be here next week.
04-11-2013, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
An update , it arrived < a week after I ordered it (from prodigital2000 , my first purchase from them, have to say flawless transaction. Great price, quick delivery).

The specs are:
Load Capacity 33 lb (15 kg)
Quick Release RC4
Spirit Level Yes
Tension Control Yes
Plate 410PL
Separate Panning Lock Yes
Adjustments Panning: 360°
Lateral tilt: -103° / +40° head tilt
Tripod Mount Thread Size 1/4"-20 and 3/8"
Height 5.75" (14.6 cm)
Weight 47.8 oz (1358g)
Color Smoke

The RC4 quick release plate is rather large, however still fits nicely on the K5. It's meant for medium format camera's. I ordered two more quick release plates from B&H (have dealt with them before). Good price and reliable always.

What would a thread be without pictures so here we go. The box is huge.

To give an idea on size , the lens cap is from my DA 12-24 (77mm)

I have somewhat large hands and this is indeed a handful. The ball is about the size of a tennis ball.

Here is sits on top of my SIRUI 4-Section Aluminium Tripod T2004X (Max Loading 33 lb - same rating as the ball head - I don't currently own anything near that weight)

The red lever is to keep the angle at 90 degrees. In the second shot you see it slid out the way to all > 90 up to 103

Two bubble levels one for landscape orientation and one for portrait thats' a nice touch.

It has a pano lock, Tension adjustment and Ball lock. The pano lock and ball lock handel can be repositioned by pulling on it without affecting the tightness. I have not field tested it yet , but hope to get that done this weekend. So far I like it. Seems to have a solid ,well built feel. Anxious to test with some of my heavier lenses (DA* 60-250 and Sigman 50-500) to see how it holds up.

04-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, That's an impressively sized ball, if I may say so. Not sure if about a tennis ball size which is 67mm !!

I'm looking for a decent ball head. Wondering how it compares to an Acratech (40-ish??) or the RRS (55mm) which are much more $$$
04-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Wow, That's an impressively sized ball, if I may say so. Not sure if about a tennis ball size which is 67mm !!

I'm looking for a decent ball head. Wondering how it compares to an Acratech (40-ish??) or the RRS (55mm) which are much more $$$
haha yeah might have exaggerated a bit on the size, it's a guy thing Can't say how it compares, can't even give you some field feedback , or longevity use (I had a cullman 40200 that was great for several years then started to fall apart). I almost bought a Acratech Ultra Gimble (or something like that) but as you mentioned it was pretty pricey. Locally the Manfrotto here was about $260 when I saw it for $189 I added to cart.

I based the initial purchase on B&H reviews and Manfrotto is a good name (I had a tripod and other lower end heads from them that held up well - gave them to my daughter). From what limited use I have seems to be a quality head for about half of an Acratech. You won't go wrong buying the best , but this is a hobby for me figured middle of road is fine don't need upper end.
04-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had it out today for a bit so far so good. The quick relase plate is great. I had the 12-24 on and 60-250. I ordered more QA plates from B&H as its a PIA to swich from camera to collar mount. Very steady , locks easily. I also quite like the 90 degree stopper for portrait for pano's. I have always done pano's handheld this will offer me an opportunity to try some low light pano's now and use it for the mountains.

04-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Had another look to compare various heads then I saw the weight! wow. 3 lbs ! Should have noticed the veins popping in your fore arm in the shot there.
I don't think you'll have any worries with a Bigma or 60-250.

Think I'd prefer something lighter, the heaviest/longest it need for is a 300/4, and not all that often.
The RRS BH-55mm way too expen$ive, BH-40mm maybe, or the Acratech. (all have 38mm balls, weigh about 1lbs)

In the end, went for the Acratech with 2 plates (1 camera, 1 lens).
Well, it's going to sting a bit when that credit card bill comes in, the Manfrotto is a good price though.

No comments about who has the biggest ball(heads) please.

Look forward to seeing some panos in P.Y.P thread
04-14-2013, 03:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Had another look to compare various heads then I saw the weight! wow. 3 lbs ! Should have noticed the veins popping in your fore arm in the shot there.
I don't think you'll have any worries with a Bigma or 60-250.

Think I'd prefer something lighter, the heaviest/longest it need for is a 300/4, and not all that often.
The RRS BH-55mm way too expen$ive, BH-40mm maybe, or the Acratech. (all have 38mm balls, weigh about 1lbs)

In the end, went for the Acratech with 2 plates (1 camera, 1 lens).
Well, it's going to sting a bit when that credit card bill comes in, the Manfrotto is a good price though.

No comments about who has the biggest ball(heads) please.

Look forward to seeing some panos in P.Y.P thread
Good stuff Steve - yep it's big and heavy just like me Weight was not really a concern as to date I have not had to hike for 4 days in the mountains or desert.