Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #1

Herringbone Heritage Hand Grip/Battery Compartment

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am seriously considering the Herringbone Heritage Hand Grip (Herringbone Heritage Camera Hand Grip Black Type1 for DSLR Camera Hand Strap | eBay) to replace the neck strap on my K-30. Quality and fit look good but my only concern would be that once adjusted properly on the camera it may prevent easy access to the battery compartment. There is a picture at the bottom on the link that shows the grip fitted on the base of the camera and it looks like the strap may move enough to open the battery compartment door while keeping the grip attached. If anyone has this hand grip and could verify whether or not the battery compartment is easily accessible with the grip attached I would appreciate your input.

Regards

05-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Pentax hand grip which attaches very much the same. It is a few seconds work to unscrew the grip from the tripod screw and screw it back on again after changing the battery. I don't regret having the hand grip at all.
05-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Pentax hand grip as well. I went through a phase where I thought they were the way to go. The are handy (no pun intended) but it always seems like you have to have the camera attached to your arm and one arm tends to get a bit longer after a while. I've found that I prefer a strap and use Black Rapids R straps mostly on all my cameras (I have two R straps and use Manfrotto bottom plates to attach the R strap too or remove for tripod use). I still use the hand grip on one film camera though.
05-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I us similar handgrips. This type has enough slack that it will not interfere with the battery door.
In the picture the fact that the camera is on a table is keeping the grip to the side.
If you raise it off the table the grip moves toward the rear a bit due to gravity.

05-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for your responses. It appears at worst I would need to remove the grip where it attaches to the tripod screw - not that big a deal. Will place my order middle of this month and post my observations once I've tried the grip on the camera.

Regards
05-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That is a nice looking strap. I have 2 hand straps setup with different configurations from Camdapter:

Camdapter - The Hand Strap

They give you a choice of bottom plates:

Camdapter - The Adapter

With these strap plates, I can tell you that they definitely do not interfere with the battery door on the K-5.
05-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #7

Original Poster
Question Answered

Received the grip and have it installed. Opening the battery door with the grip installed will not be a problem.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GT-S5830  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GT-S5830  Photo 
05-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice looking grip, I figured it wouldn't be an issue.
(If I may make an unsolicited suggestion, compare test shots with/without the 'protector filter', especially shooting towards the sun or near light sources such as night street lamps. I think you will find shots look better without the filter.)
05-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Nice looking grip, I figured it wouldn't be an issue.
(If I may make an unsolicited suggestion, compare test shots with/without the 'protector filter', especially shooting towards the sun or near light sources such as night street lamps. I think you will find shots look better without the filter.)
That grip looks cleaner mounted than the Pentax one I own. I do have to take mine off to get to the battery compartment, not that it's a big deal.

I second the motion about the protector filter. I stopped using UV filters for protection some 15 years ago, and have had no issues since, and have less flare.
05-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #10

Original Poster
"(If I may make an unsolicited suggestion, compare test shots with/without the 'protector filter', especially shooting towards the sun or near light sources such as night street lamps. I think you will find shots look better without the filter.)"

"I second the motion about the protector filter. I stopped using UV filters for protection some 15 years ago, and have had no issues since, and have less flare."

I do agree. It's a hard habit to break but I'm working on it . Perhaps "Protective Filters Anonymous"?

Regards
05-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I understand, I was there once myself. Now I am in the habit of always using a hood for protection.
Most bayonet hoods allow attaching them without removing the lens cap.
Cheers.