Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Digital concepts 952AF/PEN flash

I bought this flash from Ebay. Ordered it Tuesday from vcc113. I received it today - USPS priority was fast, from Florida to California .
I had read some reviews of it both bad and OK, but just decided to take the plunge, for $122 shipped. I really wanted the swivel/bounce, otherwise I would have bought the Pentax 360 which is not all that much more. And the 540 was too rich for me.

My impression so far (of someone who has never owned a flash) is good. It seems to work OK with the K200D, which is listed in the manual as one of the compatible cameras. It comes with a pouch, and fits in my camera bag still.

I tried it indoors in my bedroom which has dark colors and is very lowly lit, where the camera in auto mode is not able to focus with the internal flash, unless I turn on the lights.

When I put the 952AF, it had no problem, and I got a good shot.
That's about the only test I did so far. Any other test I should perform ?

I wish I had this flash last weekend. I went to an outdoor dance festival at night. The internal flash of the K200D just wasn't enough.

06-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Picked on up myself a couple months ago. Haven't used it a lot yet - just burned through my first set of alkalines - but it has served me well. The controls are straight forward. I verified that it does work as an off camera "wireless" slave just fine with the K10D. For a novice strobe/flash shooter I'd say it's a bargain.
I just started going thru Lighting 101 at Strobist so will be putting it through more paces in the very near future and see how it stands up.
06-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Picked on up myself a couple months ago. Haven't used it a lot yet - just burned through my first set of alkalines - but it has served me well. The controls are straight forward. I verified that it does work as an off camera "wireless" slave just fine with the K10D. For a novice strobe/flash shooter I'd say it's a bargain.
I just started going thru Lighting 101 at Strobist so will be putting it through more paces in the very near future and see how it stands up.
Thanks ! I put NiMH 2500 mAh rechargeables in it, and there doesn't seem to be any problem. The manual does recommend alkalines, though. I wonder why.
06-21-2008, 12:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi,

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
I tested it in wireless too, and it was fine with my K200D.

06-21-2008, 01:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
K200D doesn't have wireless P-TTL.
06-21-2008, 02:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
K200D doesn't have wireless P-TTL.
page 136 of the k200d manual says otherwise..

QuoteQuote:
By using two external flashes (AF540-FGZ or AF360-FGZ) or using the built-in flash with an external flash, you can shoot in P-TTL mode without connecting the flash units with a cord. High-speed sync mode is also available for wireless shooting.
06-21-2008, 08:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It really does
Another point for K200D then

06-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
It really does
Another point for K200D then
It really does.
06-23-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter

apparently, this D.C. is the same as the Vivitar DF400MZ p-ttl.
06-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Hi,

Got one of these Digital Concepts flashes this week for use as off-camera slave to my K20D built-in flash.
In this set-up the 'wireless' in the slave is optical flash detected from the camera 'built-in' flash.
P-TTL is only available when mounted in camera hot-shoe. (Where it easily out-performs the 'built-in'.
Pre-flash and light-meter reading by the camera produces slave 'pre-ignition' and incorrect light reaidng - results in black pictures.
Taking lens off 'A' setting and running camera and slave in full manual mode works very well - but you need to learn a lot about guide numbers, f stops and flash durations.
The Digital Concepts flash gives you full control in manual mode including durations of flash down to 1/16.
The vendor advert and the flash instruction sheet make no mention of P-TTL wireless connectivity.
06-25-2008, 07:48 PM   #11
Forum Member

So is it a recommended flash for someone on a tight budget? I hope so. I have been eyeing it for a while on ebay but didn't know if it would would sufficient. Its either that or the sunpak super 383.

THanks
Meredith
06-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #12

Recommended for a cheap better than in-built flash with tilt and pan modes, full P-TTL and guide number around 30 (in-built is around 13). If you need off-camera flash only you would need to get the Pentax P-TTL hot-shoe terminal plus trigger terminal for the flash plus a proprietary cable - probably brings the total cost near to the Pentax wireless flash.
This flash does not have an x-sync socket so you can't use the new to K20D x-sync terminal.
Enerloops last for hundreds of flashes and give a respectable 4 or 5 second recycle time.
07-27-2009, 10:06 AM   #13

Hi ! I am a new bee of this forum. This is my first post. Years ago I bought a Pentax Ist+Flash 360 but I was very disappointed with the flash. Because for a long time since my last camera was Super Program I didn't have time until 2005 I came back to photography and bought the Ist DS because of Its using AA batteries, depth of fiel pre view, and second curtain flash. I didn't know about E-PTTL flash until I used this 360. I still have several auto flash with optical slave unit. When I used it the photo realy dark and I didn't understand why until I read about The E-PTTL flash. But even I have tried everything but the Photos taken with the 360 inconsistant. Recently I bought a K20D, and I used built in flash to trigger the 360 wirelessly but the result wasn't improved. Then I bought a Pentax 220T flash at BH Photovideo for only 40 buck but the result was better even though it has only TTL, no manual, no auto. Icould use it to trigger my old optical slave flash the way I used before with the Super Program. Yesteday I went to a camera show and there was this Sakar 952 AF/PN sold for only 10 buck. I never know about this flash before but it was to cheap to be miss. When I tested it at home I realy please with this flash. It got only TTL but this feature I really like ir. The power about the same as Pentax 360, it also has second curtain synchro and when it zoom the noise is lower than Pentax360. Every feature of this flash are exactly what I want, I am going to sell the 360.
07-28-2009, 02:39 AM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome KXX - well you got a bargain for that Sakar flash - apparently is a reasonable budget P-TTL flash. Though there is a reason (perhaps more than one) why the 540FGZ is more expensive than the 952AF...
09-17-2009, 02:31 AM   #15

hi guys, i just bought this flash off ebay as well, and it arrived quickly enough. I was excited to get home and try it out, but to my very big disappointment when i put it on my K200D P-TTL didnt work! no matter which mode I put it in, it did not detect the flash (ie zoom settings, aperture). AF assist light didnt work either!

but when i tried it on an old MZ-50 it worked perfectly! lens zoom, aperture all appeared on the flash, and af assist light worked!

so in conclusion, despite the box saying "For use with Pentax digital and slr p-ttl cameras" which was just a sticker, the one i got is TTL only! I may have got a mispacked one.

so beware when you buy this flash, I have just emailed the vendor and am awaiting reply.

by the way madbrain, what's the serial number on your 952af/pen? mine is 0450409.