Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
SD Card for Recording Video on K7

I'm having trouble recording more than about 30 seconds of video in 720p (or more) using my K7. I'm using a very fast 16GB Class 6 SDHC card which has no trouble keeping up with video in my Kodak pocket video camera. I can record 720p/60fps on that thing all day long without any hiccups or dropped frames. But on the K7, 720p/24fps is too much for the SDHC card to handle. It probably has something to do with the fact that the K7 records in MJPEG, while my Kodak records in MOV. But still, it's frustrating. This is the fastest SDHC card I've ever owned, and it's just not good enough. I've even benchmarked it at over 8 MB/s write speed.

What brands/models of SDHC cards are other people using for recording video? Am I the only one having this problem? I'm currently using a PNY Optima Pro, which is intended for DV applications.

I can record in 640x480 for hours without any problems. It's only 720p+ that keeps stalling after 30 seconds. I didn't buy this camera for its video recording capabilities, but I'd at least like to be able to use it for video if the opportunity arises.

Thanks,

12-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure what "class 6" is, but I would think the SanDisk Extreme III 30MB/s edition would do the trick, if that's what's the problem.
12-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
I'm not sure what "class 6" is, but I would think the SanDisk Extreme III 30MB/s edition would do the trick, if that's what's the problem.
Class X = minimum continuous write speed

There's Class 2, Class 4, Class 6 and now the new Class 10.

The Sandisk 30MB/s cards are the new Class 10 ones. In many cases, the device (camera, card reader, etc.) needs a firmware update to be able to use a Class 10 card at full speed, otherwise it defaults to Class 4 speed, which is a waste. As far as I know, the K7 has not had an update that allows it to use Class 10 cards at full speed.

And regardless of what they claim, the best writing speed that a Class 10 card can sustain is about 12MB/s. 30MB/s refers to the read speed.
12-21-2009, 05:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't really do much video shooting, but I have managed to film several minutes with a Transcend 16GB Class 6 card.

12-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote
I don't really do much video shooting, but I have managed to film several minutes with a Transcend 16GB Class 6 card.
Sweet! Some of those are pretty affordable. Thanks!