Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #1

Messenger Bag

I'm on the market for a LOW PROFILE Messenger camera bag. I'm wondering if anyone here use this kind of bag for the equipment. I plan to storage Pentax K20d gripped, Tamron 28-75mm, Pentax 540 flash, 1 prime, few small accessories, ( batteries, charger, ) I like following bags ;
Tenba ProDigital 2.0 Messenger, Tamrac Adventure Messenger 5, or Tamrac Express 7. What you guys think? Thank you all in advance.

01-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've always found camera messenger bags to be rather ugly or oddly sized to the point where they dont look like a normal messenger bag that most people would wear. IMO the whole point of having a messenger camera bag is to make it not look like a camera bag.

I don't have any experience with the bags you listed but my current bag is a Timbuk2 Commute Laptop Messenger bag. It fits my Slik 340DX tripod, K20D+Grip with 50-135 attached, 24-70 f/2.8 (Both these lenses are not small btw), and my sigma 530dg super flash. Its nice because it isnt a camera bag at all so its really low profile. If you'd like you can just get padded inserts to separate your gear and it should work just as well as a dedicated camera bag.

The Tenba ProDigital 2.0 messenger actually looks pretty good though. It seems to be pretty much the same concept but already gives you the insert so if I would have to pick from the three you mentioned it would be that one. Personally I like the look of my timbuk2 better, but the tenba has a useful zipper on the top that lets you access your stuff without having to open up the front flap
01-18-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would suggest something that works well for me. Get a messenger bag you like (go to a computer store, for instance, or anywhare else) and purchase a camera bag insert. Tenba sells one for around 20$, I got mine off eBay for 15$ shipped. Mine can store the K20D with Sigma 17-70 arrached, plus an AF280T flash, a F50, an FA 100-300, a spare battery, cable and wireless remotes, lenspen, multiple filters (in a filter wallet), plus some odds and ends.

I'm a big advocate of picking a bag you like, whatever the form factor, THEN purchasing an insert for it. I've done this for my messenger bag and my backpack, and I now have bags I really love, that actually fit me well, and they don't look like camera bags.

If you prefer the all-in-one solution, there's a thread on this forum about a 35$ messenger bag, a Crumpler clone. Looks nice.
01-18-2010, 07:10 AM   #4

Hi bdery,
any links to where you got the inserts from? I have been looking for something like that for a while.
cheers

01-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out these guys, too: they're where I got my stuff for actual messenger work. Haven't tried their camera inserts or anything. Still have the bag, though:

Courierware-Camera Bag with Custom Features & Options

*looking over at bag.* Wow, bag, you're like, almost old enough to go to high school, now.
01-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by oinkely Quote
Hi bdery,
any links to where you got the inserts from? I have been looking for something like that for a while.
cheers
Here's one link:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/field-accessories/76536-very-nice-crumple...crumpler+35%24

The Tenba insert is this one:

Photo Insert for all Messenger bags & Other Suitable Bags; Tenba

Search a bit on ebay ans you should find an equivalent. But for the price of the Tenba, if I had known about it, I'd have bought it.
01-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I bought a Tamrac 5534 Adventure Messenger 4 from Amazon.com in December and use it for a similar kit as yours:

K20d w/grip and either a Pentax DA 18-250 f/3.5-6.3 or Sigma EX DG 24-60 f/2.8 mounted in the main compartment.

FA 50mm f/1.4 to one side and a Pentax 360 flash in the other.

In the zippered compartment I have batteries, charger, card wallet & lens-cleaning pen.

The camera + grip is almost too wide for the bag, but it fits.

I have the red and black version - there's a gray and black version also.

03-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by kthung Quote
I don't have any experience with the bags you listed but my current bag is a Timbuk2 Commute Laptop Messenger bag. It fits my Slik 340DX tripod, K20D+Grip with 50-135 attached, 24-70 f/2.8 (Both these lenses are not small btw), and my sigma 530dg super flash.
Could you please tell me how and where do you fit your tripod in your messenger bag? Thanks
03-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #9

I have an older style of the Crumpler 6MDH and really like it. I do have most of the gear you have listed (K20 w/ grip, Tamron 28-75mm, small prime, etc.). I love using the Crumpler: it doesn't look like a camera bag, is very secure, and isn't bulky or boxy so it has a decent profile. The material is well made and generally resists stains and moisture. I've toted it through Istanbul and different festivals/excursions here in the States without any problems.

I felt the 6MDH was a better purchase over the 7MDH due to size: the 7 is a lot larger and a bit awkward to carry.

I have noticed that the K20 with grip attached is hard to fit in the central slot of the Crumpler. You may have to reconfigure the divider arrangements to make sure everything fits.
03-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm taking a good long look at the Lowepro Exchange. It's cheap at ~$30. I've read that the padding is a little thin, but it may be a great slim bag to shoot from...
03-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hey, does anyone happen to know if that Tenba insert has stiffeners in it? I have a bag with a similar insert which does have said stiffening: I've been considering savaging this to remove said stiffener, ) so the bag won't be so darn boxy regardless of how much I'm carrying. I suspect this may make a mess, though, so I've been gun-shy about it.

(Also, can those take a body with grip, lens-down or some such? )

(eyeing seam-ripper.) If only the sewing table were set up...

Edit: OK, I went ahead and removed the stiffener: rather than the cardstock I expected, it's actually plastic: useful-looking stuff. I may turn around and replace it, after cutting so as to just soften the corners and hopefully let the bag hang more naturally when it's not actually full. Still looking for a way to make things to set up well with the various combinations of stuff I carry.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-21-2010 at 07:10 PM.
03-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #12
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am debating turning an old messenger bag into a camera bag via a bag insert. I'm currently looking at several on ebay. Do a search in bags under camera insert and you can find a couple of different sellers
03-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Maybe I'm really fussy, but almost all the camera bags other than Crumpler ones looked pretty ugly to me when I was bag shopping. I ended up with a Crumpler 5 million dollar home. I think your gear would equate to a 5MDH, but maybe a 6MDH. My 5MDH fits the gear in my sig + a video cam.
03-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hey, does anyone happen to know if that Tenba insert has cardboard stiffeners in it?

(Also, can those take a body with grip, lens-down or some such? )
I have the three slot Tenba and it is pretty stiff. It will not sag with the camera in it, even when it isn't in another bag. The insert is too narrow for a body and grip, but I only have the K10/20 to judge this by. Maybe a K200 or K-7 with grip will be OK.

QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
I am debating turning an old messenger bag into a camera bag via a bag insert. I'm currently looking at several on ebay. Do a search in bags under camera insert and you can find a couple of different sellers
I bought a Puleme Backpack Padded Partition DSLR insert from ebay for use in a water proof bag and the insert is OK, but the quality is pretty weak. I mention this as there is a Puleme three slot insert on ebay as well.

I think the FOSSOUX F2 on ebay looks like an interesting insert to pick up. It seems to be made of a fabric that works well as a female Velcro hook. If using it in a larger bag, it wouldn't be hard to add male Velcro to the larger bag to keep the insert in place.

Both the ebay inserts have a top flap that the Tenba doesn't. I'm divided on what to think about the flap. Nice to have the protection, but maybe a bit of trouble in use?

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Maybe I'm really fussy, but almost all the camera bags other than Crumpler ones looked pretty ugly to me
People don't usually steal ugly.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 03-21-2010 at 07:08 PM.
03-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #15
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The insert I have been looking at in one of the Fossoux brand. I like the top flap as it would allow me to drop other things into the bag w/o worrying about items getting into the insert. The bag I'm going to use is a 20 year-old canvas messenger bag that shows some age but still works well and the insert would be for taking a camera when I don't expect to need one but do need the bag.