Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BOWER SFD926P

I just spent a bundle on purchasing a K-x model and some lenses. My wife barely let me get this. I know I am going to need a flash unit very soon for the type of photography I do. Has anyone purchased this BOWER SFD926P flash unit? It seems to do all what it is supposed to do at half the price of a "Pentax" model.
Any pros or cons?
Thanks
Ken ...

03-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This sounds like the Sakar flash, which isn't very highly regarded.

More about it here: Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: The Definitive Guide
03-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
This sounds like the Sakar flash, which isn't very highly regarded.

More about it here: Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: The Definitive Guide
Thanks for the response. I don't need a "pro" flash yet. I basically need one to add a little extra softer light fpr shots. I basically take photos of people at social gatherings, dinner parties etc. where you need a little extra light without being "harsh" and the built in flash on my previous cameras didn't work very well and I was using a slave flash for extra lighting. (Tough to find a good flash for Minolta-Konica digitals). That is why I am graduating to a professional level of camera. Do you think as a "first" flash unit this would be ok?
03-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I have the Vivitar version of this flash. It has worked well for me so far. I've even used it with my DIY better beamer setup.

03-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It is the same as the Vivitar DF 383.
The only difference is the physical appearance as it is made by the same company.
Same as with the Rokinon and the Digital Concepts brand. Same internals, therefore same performance.
I have the Bower and am very much satisfied by it.
the only thing it doesn't have is the wireless radio capability of the OEM brand but has the slave function to compensate for it.
Read my comments or reviews on Overstock.com by Gardendude.
Review of the Vivitar DF 383 here in the forums (same banana): https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/65812-pentax-df-383-review.html

Here's the review of the lower cost version without the digital back and motorized zoom head: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/49880-digital-c...ed-tested.html

All of these are made by a company called TUMAX.
You can google them too!
03-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Here's a thread with a bit of discussion on it plus I posted photos of the flash itself and some sample quick test shots: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/85405-flash.html
03-31-2010, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
Got and I am impressed

It arrived in the mail quicker that I thought. Threw some batteries in it, slapped it on and turned it on. And voila it works likes magic. With the difuser all my indoor shots are more natural colour and softer than the built in flash. I would show them off but my wife doesn't like being on the internet..

thanks again for all the input.
Ken