Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Yeah, I really like Ivoire's BW treatment, too.
Glad you like it. I'm still deliberating on #3. Want something different

12-05-2011, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

All photos taken with a pentax optio w60:

12-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #33
Banned

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I'm here. I don't want to comment until the end and I can't participate, so I won't be saying much, but I'm watching.
12-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #34
Veteran Member

#3 Something a bit different from the Samsung TL350. Chromed steel balls with cyalume lights in the dark

12-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I especially like your first entry, Catriona: the lights on those empty tables give a feel of abandonment.

Very special, ivoire. Makes me think of a cyberspace.
12-07-2011, 05:54 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's my first for Lights.

Head On

Olympus Stylus 1010, 1/2000", f/11, ISO 80, S. Macro

shot of a small LED flashlight.
12-07-2011, 07:12 AM   #37
Veteran Member

[quoteI especially like your first entry, Catriona: the lights on those empty tables give a feel of abandonment.][/quote]

Agree with Bart on the emptiness... looks like they were 'beamed' out of there

[quoteVery special, ivoire. Makes me think of a cyberspace.][/quote]

I was wondering what to do with those leftover cyalumes and decided this would be 'different' enuff

jheu02, like your first entry.... it has that unusual/abstract feel

12-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #38
Pentaxian

A mysterious image, John.
And neat symmetry. I like it!
12-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the comments!

I'd like to chime in on the PnS rules FWIW. As I see these contests/challenges, they're meant to be fun. Really, who of us is going to land a pro photography job by a post to a PnS thread? And there's no prize money or anything, so why get all worked up about sensor size, film, etc.? When I think of a true "point and shoot" camera, I think of 110 and 126 type cameras, no zoom, no changable lenses, etc. You know, just a little fixed-focus, fixed-focal length lens where the only control is how you frame your shot, whether you had a flash bulb or built in flash, and then click the shutter. Though I think most of us would agree that is too narrow of a definition (can you even buy a digital PnS without a zoom?).

I understand trying to "level" the playing field a little, and so it makes sense to limit the contest to what I would term a "pocket" camera, or an "average Joe" camera. This to me would include 35mm film cameras like the Canon Sure Shot that many proud grandmothers might have used to chronicle their grandchildrens' lives. They may have a zoom, maybe not. Remember, that even though 35mm film may have a larger "sensor", it still has to be scanned, which in most cases is going to take away some of that sensor "advantage."

Though the argument's been made that an antique camera, even if large format but with "poor" optics could qualify technically as a point and shoot because you can't change lenses and might only have rudimentary aperture control, your average person is going to have one to lug around. Though you point it and shoot, it doesn't pass the "granny test" to me.

Likewise, as Erik mentioned about "pro" style PnS cameras, my dead Fuji F700, though it came out in 2003 and was non-IS with only 6MP, had a bunch of manual controls: Auto, Full Manual, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, AF Area, AF (center), Manual focus(!), Exposure bracketing, selectable flash power, several film emulations, etc. I imagine, that it really shouldn't qualify as a PnS, though it was mainly used as such since the manual controls weren't really convenient to use (it was great having Aperture and Shutter Priority though).

So, after that long ramble, I would think that a reasonble definition of a PnS camera, would include a size definition (pocket/small case), a lens definition (no interchangeable lenses), and a level-of-control definition (should a pocket size, fully manual capable digital camera be allowed? but not a pocket size fixed lense, fixed focal-length, fixed aperture 35mm film camera?). Once rules as to what camera is acceptable are set, they shouldn't be changed though IMO. The winner should get to pick the topic and judge it, perhaps even restricting the timeframe for the shots (i.e. from the start of the challenge and not allow old shots).

Just my thoughts
12-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Some really great shots here, lots of imagination being used. Sadly, thats something I lack :P I think I am sitting out on this one. Besides... I have decided I want to get a pentax compact to use in the comp... and havent yet decided on which one. Whichever it is, it will have to be dirt cheap
12-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #41
Veteran Member

kyteflyer....... You can get an optio in your color choice here for 3 pmts of $50

PENTAX Optio 14MP 10X Zoom Digital Camera with Software at HSN.com
12-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #42
Banned

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
I'd like to chime in on the PnS rules FWIW.
I don't mind a debate, but I don't think this is the proper thread for it (the proper thread is this one). Let's please stick to the contest. I changed the rules because I could - if I couldn't, I wouldn't.
12-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #43
Inactive Account

Panasonic LX5
12-08-2011, 12:25 AM   #44
Veteran Member

woof... great first entry. good to see we are getting some abstract light images
12-08-2011, 01:28 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
kyteflyer....... You can get an optio in your color choice here for 3 pmts of $50

PENTAX Optio 14MP 10X Zoom Digital Camera with Software at HSN.com
Probably cheaper on this occasion to buy at home. Once shipping would be added, it would cost more than I can buy it for here, or from Hong Kong.

Thanks for the suggestion, though, is it a good camera for a P&S? (relatively speaking, I mean... )