Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2013, 02:06 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some quick snaps with the new MX-1 Camera

Well, as I indicated in the other thread, I was lucky to be able to play a pre-production MX-1 for a couple of weeks.It's a very nice little camera, very well made. The operation is pretty easy and familiar to a Pentax user. I really love how Pentax put all those dials and buttons, especially the EV dial on the top edge, which I love to use on my Fujifilm X10.

The camera is a bit on the heavy side due to the brass plates on the top and bottom, but still able to use it single handed. I won't comment too much on the speed and IQ due to the firmware isn't final, but hope you guys can get some ideas by looking at the photos.

I post quite some detailed camera photos here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/211106-mx1-new-camera-model-2.html

Here I only post the photos taken by this little beauty.

I took the camera w/ me on the first day of the year when we brought the kids out to the Botanic Garden. They love to feed the fish and swans there. The kids love to

shoot flowers w/ their own cameras (each got a Fujifilm F31FD) too.

All photos were taken in JPG, some postprocess done as usual.

I'll start w/ few photos of my kids in action:

As you can see the skin tune is a bit pinkieshy. Sometimes the whitebalance isn't very consistant too, probably due to beta version firmware.

We usually go to see the white swans near the main entrance of Garden. But this time the kids decided to go and see the black ones:

The weather was great during that day, even turles came out of water for some Sun (we got too many rainy days in the past a couple of months here in Singapore):

My daughter thought tried to feed the turtle, but seems it didn't like the fresh bread much:

Here is a bit close up on this little creature:

Other than fish, there were a lot ducks over there, and most of them swam around in pairs:

Pretty hard to get one in solo:

And of course there were the birds too:

After the trip to the Botanic Garden, we brought the kids to their favorite restaurant: The Pizza Hut. This time we tried their new pizza (can't remember its name):

It looked good, tasted fanstastic too:

And of course the Kids' favorite: the Hawaiian Pizza:

Can't leave w/o my son's favorite cheesy beefball:

Well, the elder sis did all the poses, the younger brother wasn't very happy:

Anyway, it's aways good to go out w/ the kids, no matter what we do. Just one more flower to show what my kids love to shoot at:

Last weekend was my daughter's friend's birthday. The family invited us to the Bird Park (one of the kids favorite places here in Singapore) for a celebration. Of course I'd tag along as usual (just love to mingle around w/ the

kids and their parents). Most kids' parents brought either dSLR or mirrorless cameras, I was one of the few who carried a p&s. And of course the majority still prefer using

their iPhone or Andriod Phones to take photos. As you can see, my little camera couln't grab much attention, so most of my shots were from side way:

Wide end of the lens distorsion is pretty bad I have to say, probably not a good idea to use it for group photos like this. But the kids and their families don't really care,

they just love to see themselves in the photos:

Got cakes, of course there'd be candles:

Here came to the most fun part, break the piņata (candy box). This time instead of breaking it w/ a bat, the kids had to pull the strings together to get the candis out:

It's pretty hard to get all the kids inline w/o some of them pulling the strings earlier:

Now! Grab as many as you can:

The trophy:

A couple of quick snaps at the Bird Show:

Here is a 100% crop of the above one:

Our National Flower at the Gate:

And I'll end w/ two birds photos:

Some post process might be overly done 'cause I used some pre-defined Actions in Photshop CS6, which were meant for my dSLR camera. Anyway, hope you guys like these.

01-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Frank, nice 'real world review'
I like how you showed the camera usage in real user situations.

The fast zoom on the MX-1 is certainly more versatile than my 01 prime on Q from the looks of the wide range of FL shots done.

Thanks for the effort.
01-13-2013, 03:33 AM   #3

Great preview.
Reminds me of using my XZ-1.

Hope to see more thoughts on the handling of this camera.
01-13-2013, 03:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Clear and colorful. The two ingredients you need to have in a p&s .

Has pretty good bokeh as well (probably will have to get up close and personal).

01-13-2013, 04:08 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done frank. Nice comprehensive real life examples of what this mighty compact can do. Thanks for sharing.
01-13-2013, 04:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Looks like a useful tool. Many of these shots exceed my expectations of what's possible with this sort of compact, such as that lovely shot of the hindu chap with the beard, but there's a few which still remind you how small that sensor is. All in all, it looks like a good 'un!
01-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #7
Banned

Photos: Albums
Off to a good start with the pics.

Something Ihaven't seen addressed just yet... I'm guessing that the camera has some sort of front filter and can also accept a polarizer.

01-13-2013, 05:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice work Frank Thanks Alot.
Some very clear shots and well chosen subject matter.
01-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Great images bro. Your photos give a good indication of the capabilities of the camera.
01-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #10

Thank you for posting your results! Very nice photos that show off the cameras' (and your) abilities

This has made me excited to get my paws on one in real life.
01-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing. You guys in Singapore seem to have all the fun with the newest of the new Pentax products!
01-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm impressed with the quality of shots taken with this camera. Thanks for sharing these with us. Great review.
01-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
ogl
Banned

RICOH MX-1 in EXIF ....

Good photos and not bad bokeh...
01-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
RICOH MX-1 in EXIF ....

Good photos and not bad bokeh...
Yep, noticed that too (in the other thread). Maybe just the pre-release firmware version.
01-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
Banned

Great work, looks like a good camera with many options.