Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Can I use K and M lenses on my PENTAX DSLR (K-series, *istD-series)?
Posted By: Ole, 09-07-2006, 09:16 PM

Yes.

K-7/K20D/K10D:
1) Custom function "Using aperture ring" must be set to "2 Permitted".
2) In manual exposure mode "M": Set the lens to the desired aperture, compose the shot, press the green button (this will set the correct shutter speed), shoot.

K-x/K-m/K2000:
2) In manual exposure mode "M": Set the lens to the desired aperture, compose the shot, press the green button (this will set the correct shutter speed), shoot.

K200D, K100D, K110D:
2) In manual exposure mode "M": Set the lens to the desired aperture, compose the shot, press the "AE-L" button (this will set the correct shutter speed), shoot.

*ist DS, *ist DS2, *ist DL, *ist DL2:
2) In manual exposure mode "M": Set the lens to the desired aperture, compose the shot, press the "AE-L" button (this will set the correct shutter speed), shoot.

*ist D:
1) The firmware must be 1.10 or higher.
2) Custom function "F stop other than A" must be set to "on".
3) In manual exposure mode "M": Set the lens to the desired aperture, compose the shot, press the green button (this will set the correct shutter speed), shoot.

Note that K and M lenses are manual focus lenses.

Another method is to engage the optical preview (stop down) button in manual exposure mode. This turns on the lightmeter and the exposure bar. While keeping the optical preview engaged, adjust aperture or shutter speed until the exposure bar shows the correct exposure or shows over/under exposure to you liking. Also when using this method the "Using aperture ring" custom function must be set as described above.

From 'Monopod': It is also useful to set the body in MF (manual focus) mode
otherwise the shutter will not trigger unless the target is in focus.

See also: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-manua...7-k-x-etc.html

Last edited by Ole; 01-30-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Views: 20,591
09-12-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is also useful to note...

That if you chose to shoot wide open or are using a fixed aperture lens (eg. mirror), then you can also use Av mode and not have to meter in manual mode. This obviates the need to press the green button or AE lock.

cheers

Greg

Last edited by wirrah; 10-15-2006 at 08:44 PM. Reason: should be fixed aperture not focal length
09-15-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
Inactive Account

can I use K and M

YES, YES, YES:
you can use any Pentax lens with Any Pentax ist or K series cameras Pentax has backward TEK and that means all Pentax lenses will fit and work.
David
Ps Pentax is great this way.
12-09-2006, 07:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

And how about with the K10 ?

Hi fellow Pentaxians,

I posted on the Themotec, but it seems this is the place that is used. So a repost here :

I‘m thinking about purchasing the K10 in the new year. And was considering, among other lenses, getting a manual focus 50 mm lens.

The description from Monopod in Ole’s post, in regard to K lenses seems very precise and good.

So reading it, I understand that you don’t have to light meter manually. The camera can do these things, even with these older lenses. In the *ist D camera, all you (pretty much) had to do was chose the aperture, press the green button and the camera would set the right shutter speed.
This seem like really good news, makes it easy to use manual lenses. Kan clearly therefore understand that these lenses often are discussed in forums.

So with the K10 I would imagine that it would be somewhat similar ?

In the custom functions you set the Using Aperture Ring to => permitted.

The camera operates in AV mode, and the shutter speed should change in regard to the open aperture. (Possibly I would have to push the green button)
Do I have to use the manual K lens wide open ? Or can the camera figure out the shutter speed according to which aperture I’ve put the ring at ?

I hope I’ve explained myself so that it can be understood.
I came into the Pentax and camera world in the AF times, so I do not have experience with manual focus lenses. So my questions may seem pretty basic.

Thanks in advance
Kind regards
Sune

12-09-2006, 08:12 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Grab what you need from the following (where I quote myself from another forum):

QuoteQuote:
The Zenitar is a "manual" lens. You focus manually and you read the light manually. These are both quite quick operations.
Focusing:
=========

1: Set the camera lever for focusing method to MF
2: Focus by turning the distance scale and watch what happens in the viewfinder

3: You'll have a huge DOF (Depth of focus) thanks to the short FL (Focal Length).

4: Initially it seems hard to set the focus but with some training it comes quite easy and quick

NB: With focusing set to AF the shutter won't go off when pressing the release button. Well, sometimes it does - that is when the "focus confirmation function" thinks you have set the focus correctly. This is slow and unreliable. With the camera set to MF you override the function and can exposure at will.
Light metering:
==============

Camera: *ist DS (but probably all the cameras in the digital *ist series. For the first model, the plain "D" the AE-L button = the green button).

The Zenitar has an aperture ring. Checking the ring you can see that there is no "A" position on it. In other words: no automatic light metering! You have to do this yourself. Metering the light manually gives you control of things. And puts you in charge. When taking several pictures at the same time you don't need to meter the light for every picture. If the light doesn't change the exposure values remains the same. Follow these steps to get started:
Prepare camera:

1) In the camera setup, in Customs menu set the option "Using aperture ring" to "2".

2) In the camera setup, in Rec. Mode menu set the option AE Mode to either Spot or Center weighted
3) Focus mode to MF

a) Dial in the desired aperture by turning the aperture ring
b) compose

c) turn the camera on, or make it active by half pressing the shutter release a moment

d) compose and aim the camera properly (depending on your choice of Spot or Centerweighted metering) and press the AE-L button for a second

by diong this the camera stops down (the aperture is for a moment set to the same opning it will have when taking the picture)

during this moment the camera meters the light and sets the aperture time to fit with the ISO, aperture and light conditions at place
e) recompose if necessary, check focus
f) press the shutter release button

Now you have taken a z-picture

Let's elaborate on this a little. The setting 1) above cn be left at "2". There is no need to turn it back to not allow use of the aperture ring. All other lenses will work fine with the setting above. With this setting lenses with an A position on their aperture rings can be used with the ring in other positions than A. If you by mistake move the setting from A on the aperture ring the camera functions but ypu will probably get a bad exposured picture. I don't think this is a big deal. You won't change the setting on the perture ring by mistake without noticing it that often.

For point a) - see the USAF cards. Preferably use f5.6, or F8. F4 and F11 are okey, they are nearly as sharp. Avoid F2.8, F16 and F22. (This is btw true for most lenses.)

For point b) - is pays off to think about what you are aiming for when taking the picture. If you are aiming for a rectilinear wide angle picture you should try to keep important lines (the horizont, a building) as centered as possible. If you are looking for the fisheye effect things are different. Practise. Learn to know your equipment.

For point c) - there is a setting in the customs meny allowing you to choose for how long time the meter shall stay active (=on) after you have fiddled with the camera. Chosse between 3, 10 and 30 seconds. Yes, the correct answer is 30 seconds. Imo that is the most conveniant setting as it take a second extra to get things going every time the camera turns itself off. It's no big deal though.

For point d) - remember the word "Manual". The exposure is set by manual intervention. If you don't change anything everything is the same. Recompose and nothing happens. Turn the camera off for having lunch and turn it on again, nothing is changed. Changesettings by turning the thumb wheel (shutter time) or the aperture ring (doh, fo rthe aperture opening). For making a new reading of the light, once again press the AE-L button.

For point e) - remember the DOF. I sometimes set the distance scale to a value between 1.2 meters and infinity and the aperture ring to F8. Now everything between 1m and the moon is in focus.
All of the above is valid also when it comes to Pentax M and K lenses.
As you can see it was written for the DS and the Zenitar 16mm Fish-Eye. The Zenitar doesn't differ from any Pentax K or M lens with regards to handling the exposure.

For the Auto thing:

QuoteQuote:
In either Av or P mode the camera will meter the scene for you. The lens will not be stopped down so it gives you a picture taken with the lens wide open. A crippled sort of automatic exposure with a manual lens.
I hope this helps. To my knowledge it is the same with the K10D but you use the green button instead of the AE-L button.

Til lykke,
12-09-2006, 01:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi Jonas,

Mange tak. Ser på nogle af dine billeder, at du har haft glæde af at komme i Danmark.
:-)

And its great for us newcomers that you experienced take the time to answer some of our questions, though they may seem simple to you guys. (includes girls).

I know that many of these things have been up before. But it’s not always easy to get full comprehension of the former answers. It helps clarifying, to ask a bit more into it.

"In either Av or P mode the camera will meter the scene for you. The lens will not be stopped down so it gives you a picture taken with the lens wide open. A crippled sort of automatic exposure with a manual lens."

But if you have the settings with wide open, then you can pretty much just go up and down the scale from there. Closing the aperture, and at the same time increasing shutter speed. And take some extra shots just to make sure.

But thanks a lot Jonas, it’s a very illustrative post.
(Sorry I didn’t find it myself)
12-10-2006, 06:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The K10 works just like the *ist D. Press the green button to meter.

12-11-2006, 11:29 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Hi Jonas,

Mange tak. Ser på nogle af dine billeder, at du har haft glæde af at komme i Danmark.
:-)

And its great for us newcomers that you experienced take the time to answer some of our questions, though they may seem simple to you guys. (includes girls).

I know that many of these things have been up before. But it’s not always easy to get full comprehension of the former answers. It helps clarifying, to ask a bit more into it.

"In either Av or P mode the camera will meter the scene for you. The lens will not be stopped down so it gives you a picture taken with the lens wide open. A crippled sort of automatic exposure with a manual lens."

But if you have the settings with wide open, then you can pretty much just go up and down the scale from there. Closing the aperture, and at the same time increasing shutter speed. And take some extra shots just to make sure.

But thanks a lot Jonas, it’s a very illustrative post.
(Sorry I didn’t find it myself)

Hi,

No problems. It doesn't take long to check a bookmark and do a copy and paste thing. And yes, I have had some good times in Denmark.

regards,