Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
Forum Member

Selective AF adjustment on KX

The autofocus adjustment on KX is generally known procedure, and I have it done myself with fairly radical setting of -150 to eliminate strong front focusing and it works now equally good with all my lenses.

However, I just went through phone/email communications with Pentax because of faulty DA 10-17mm lens. They seem to be suggesting that that the KX can be selectively adjusted for up to 20 different lenses - here is a quote from their last email:
"The K-x can do AF shift adjustment up to 20 lenses by our service department."

Does anyone know about selectively adjusting the AF to a different values for different lenses?

Cheers,

06-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's the same as a K10D, it can be done for multiple lenses by a service center. Can't tell you for how many but there is no reason not to believe what Penatx says regarding this.

PS:
K10D is limited to a few
06-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like a tech-support blooper. Here is a similar blooper:

QuoteQuote:
Yes it does.

Your Email:
Does the K-x have a custom function option to have e-dial with the +/- button change the ISO instead of the EV
compensation?
edit: I have not heard about the the service center part, that's kind of exciting, maybe I should help out with the firmware hacking.
06-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
If it's the same as a K10D, it can be done for multiple lenses by a service center. Can't tell you for how many but there is no reason not to believe what Penatx says regarding this.

PS:
K10D is limited to a few
Well, this fact can have a serious consequences. If each lens has different focusing characteristics/setting and you fine-tune the AF for one lens that might have a front focus, you will screw up the setting for another lens that might have a rear focus issue. One may be opening a can of worms with that AF adjustment!

06-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think he is saying there is a section in the memory that the service center has access to (not in the debug menu) where they can enter in more than one independent lens-specific adjustment.
06-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
Inactive Account

You need to enter the debug mode for k-x.

Debug menu in K-x: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I'm not sure how many lenses it can memorize.
06-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AFAIK the AF adjustment in the debug menu applies a uniform adjustment for all lenses.

However, a Pentax Service Centre can make AF adjustments for individual lenses. I have no reason to doubt that the limit of unique settings is 20. My K-x is currently in at Pentax Australia with my FA 31mm to have a back focus issue corrected.

06-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luma Quote
Well, this fact can have a serious consequences. If each lens has different focusing characteristics/setting and you fine-tune the AF for one lens that might have a front focus, you will screw up the setting for another lens that might have a rear focus issue. One may be opening a can of worms with that AF adjustment!
As you quoted me, I'm missing your point. Debug menu allows for one generic adjustment and you're right if you were referring to that; service center has access to adjustment for a few.

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I think he is saying there is a section in the memory that the service center has access to (not in the debug menu) where they can enter in more than one independent lens-specific adjustment.
Yep, thanks
06-05-2010, 07:03 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Some follow up on the topic - please have a look at my another post.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/103677-travor-f...een-aware.html