Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2010, 03:33 AM   #1
Dom

Testing K7 dust seals. Or just how dirty is your camera?

Some of you may know that I do a bit of underground photography. Because of this I get into some extrema situations and my camera gear has to follow and work.

If anybody was in doubt about the seals on Pentax cameras let me reassure you that they are good very good.

My K7 after a trip.

Sensor is still nice and clean.

One of the photos from the trip. Yes that me bottom left.

I'm off to give my camera a wipe down ready for Saturdays trip.

06-11-2010, 03:40 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is some visible dust in that image, but I'm sure it's unrelated The K-7 sure can take a beating! Time to give it a nice shower.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-11-2010, 04:08 AM   #3
Dom

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There is some visible dust in that image, but I'm sure it's unrelated The K-7 sure can take a beating! Time to give it a nice shower.
There's a little bit of dust but it's well with in my acceptable standards. I'll give the K7 a wash and get the rocket blower going on the inside.
06-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
Forum Member

I see you have the 18-55mm WR lens on your K7, How is the sealing on this lens? Does it hold up well in the extreme conditions that you are using it in? I have the K200D and I have thought about getting this lens for bad weather conditions.

Rick

06-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
Dom

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick in Ohio Quote
I see you have the 18-55mm WR lens on your K7, How is the sealing on this lens? Does it hold up well in the extreme conditions that you are using it in? I have the K200D and I have thought about getting this lens for bad weather conditions.

Rick
Does this answer your question. The quickest and easiest way to clean the camera, give a shower.

06-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Awesomenes. Makes me wanna go out and shoot in pouring rain.
06-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
Dom

Pentax If you want to use my photo I charge the normal rate.

06-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dom Quote
Pentax If you want to use my photo I charge the normal rate.
When the question of the DA18-55mm WR was asked I was very interested in your answer as I bought it to use on my K20D. It has held up in rain, and a snow storm but...

But yes you have a pic that makes a strong statement; and put a smile on my face . Yes thats a pro pic, a pic Pentax should use, and should pay to use.

#am thats a good pic,

BTW I kinda thought Pentax under-rated the WR series as to differentiate them from the DA* in sealing ability. The WR are weather-resistant, but no statement is made for dust. Long ago Roland M on DPR said the sealing was really the same, just the DA* used metal barrels instead of plastic. He latter retracted that statement and says the DA* are different... better...??? now. That raised flags in my head.

I think time will tell us how durable and sealed the WR kit lens are. So far no one has reported problems. I really thought they may fail the dust test, as dust is worse then water and can get in anyplace, but your showing it to be a well sealed lens.

Can I ask if your mirror chamber is also dust free and no problems on the focus screen. Judging from your enthusiasm I would assume no dust has entered the camera.

Last edited by jamesm007; 06-11-2010 at 04:58 PM.
06-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Best thread ever.
06-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Best thread ever.
You got that right! Excellent story and wonderful photos! PENTAX, PAY THE MAN! He might have just sold more K-7s!
06-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Can you really give the K-7 a shower? I'm sure you can give it a shower and a quick dry but you can't submerge it correct? How do i do this? Which lenses can you give a shower with the K-7?

Last edited by danpinoy; 06-12-2010 at 01:52 PM.
06-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danpinoy Quote
Can you really give the K-7 a shower? I'm sure you can give it a shower and a quick dry but you can't submerge it correct? How do i do this? Which lenses can you give a shower with the K-7?
I'd assume any of the DA* lenses and the 18-55WR/50-200WR

Certainly would not recommend bathing it, but a rinse off shouldn't hurt it either.
06-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #13
Dom

QuoteOriginally posted by danpinoy Quote
Yes you can.
To give a sealed Pentax camera a shower. Put a sealed lens on and take in to shower. You don't need to dry it, as kalison said a DA* or WR lens is all you need. I'd not submerge it but there are repost about Pentax gear getting dunked and not suffering.

A photo from to day.

06-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Too cool. Mind if I ask what is it that you do? I mean, besides taking pictures under the earths surface?

Also, can you give an estimate of how many times you have showered your camera so far?
06-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Found this on youtube
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op9mBbo92Ik[/YT]