Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
green photos- defective sensor?

I just got a K-x a few days ago and it is my first DSLR. Most of the time it works fine, but once in a while the Live View screen turns neon-green and all the photos come out neon-green. Then after a minute or two it'll go back to normal.

Does this sound like a defective sensor, or a memory card issue? I am using a Sandisc Ultra SCHC, class 4. Sometimes when it does the green thing, the memory card indicator light turns red and stays red. It never turns red any other time.

I would post a photo as an example, but the uploader won't let me. Just imagine a photo with everything in shades of neon green

Last edited by Jules100383; 06-20-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: adding info
06-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jules100383 Quote
I just got a K-x a few days ago and it is my first DSLR. Most of the time it works fine, but once in a while the Live View screen turns neon-green and all the photos come out neon-green. Then after a minute or two it'll go back to normal.

Does this sound like a defective sensor, or a memory card issue? I am using a Sandisc Ultra SCHC, class 4.
I am always amazed by people's ideas what a defective memory card can cause. Rumors have it that the world financial crisis is due to a faulty memory card too

Seriously, return your K-x. It's a defect.
06-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A memory card only stores what the camera gives it. It wouldn't affect the live view on your camera, since what comes from your live view comes from the sensor. I suspect that it's a problem with your camera. I'd return it ASAP and get it taken care of under warrantee.
06-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I am always amazed by people's ideas what a defective memory card can cause. Rumors have it that the world financial crisis is due to a faulty memory card too

Seriously, return your K-x. It's a defect.
I would have to guess that the memory card light staying on is the reason he/she might suspect the card.

Does this sound like a defective sensor, or a memory card issue? I am using a Sandisc Ultra SCHC, class 4. Sometimes when it does the green thing, the memory card indicator light turns red and stays red. It never turns red any other time.

I would post a photo as an example, but the uploader won't let me. Just imagine a photo with everything in shades of neon green
If you just got the camera a few days ago I wouldn't screw around with service but would return it as defective for replacement. Some would say have it serviced so you are certain to have a working camera but I say it shouldn't be on you to do so. You Paid for a working camera, and you should have one right out of the box.

That said, You are seeing the green screen Before you have taken the picture? I'm guessing you haven't seen this while Not using Live View? Are you getting the Temperature warning? What level of Firmware is on the camera (Hold the menu button while turning the camera on)? Once you send the camera back/in or return it to the store, none of this really matters. I'm just asking for curiosity sake. Sometimes these issues appear in batches on the forums.

06-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
No, there has been no temperature warning. And yes, the flashing card light is why I was hoping it would just be a memory card problem. It is sounding like I just had bad luck and got a defective sensor though. I am going to call customer service first thing in the morning, I really wish they were open weekends. I am going on a trip in 2 weeks and really wanted to take the camera with me, so I am going to ask if they can just send me a new one.
06-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #6

Could you post these pictures? Sounds like they would be pretty funny
06-20-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
Inactive Account

No, there has been no temperature warning. And yes, the flashing card light is why I was hoping it would just be a memory card problem. It is sounding like I just had bad luck and got a defective sensor though. I am going to call customer service first thing in the morning, I really wish they were open weekends. I am going on a trip in 2 weeks and really wanted to take the camera with me, so I am going to ask if they can just send me a new one.
Which is why I would suggest just returning the camera. Pentax service for the most part is respectable but it will easily be 2 weeks before they even get to it (typical turnaround I've read here on the forum is at least 4 weeks and sometimes longer.).

Good luck with it either way..