Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-24-2010, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #1

yaaay, successful update to ist DS firmware 2.02, now I can use my 4Gb SDHC card

To mark success/narrow escape on my Pentax ist DS dslr, though I'm sure it's peanuts to you young techno guys.

Here's the boring story....(it's about SDHC cards and firmware updates zzzzz........)

Saturday, and thought to go print out a photo at Jessops photo shop instant self-print Kodak machine. Very convenient and cheap enough, 19 pence for a 6x4. Then saw Gb-sizes SD cards there are now quite cheap. Maybe I could bring lots of photos on it and get over 200 photos at 5 pence each for overnight printing, from years of digital shooting. Went down to Staples stationery warehouse...they had even cheaper ones, and picked up a Lexar 4Gb for GB 8 pounds. Thought yaaay, now instead of the measly 512Mb SD card, I now have a much improved 4Gb SDHC memory for a small cost.

Wrong.

Put the card in....'memory card error'. Immediately thought....probably does not support SD 'HC' high capacity cards. Online at Pentax Forums I found this is true, and as hoped, fixable by firmware update. Mine was version 1.0, about 5-6 versions behind the most current, 2.02. Did 1 hour or so precautionary reading, as I know from mp3 player experience that a botched firware update (e.g. due to failed battery/power halfway through) can really damage the camera. Recharged my camera batteries and went for it. Yaay success! Now I have 8x more memory on the one card.

Download the ist DS firmware 2.02 update from here >> Software Downloads : Support & Service : PENTAX

What I did (as per the read-me file that comes with the updater, added to slightly by me to make it more complete for novices, like me).

===========================================================================
PENTAX istDS Firmware Updating to Version 2.02
===========================================================================

* Firmware is the software that runs inside digital cameras.

Updatable models
istDS digital SLR cameras running Firmware Ver. 1.00/1.01/1.02/2.00/2.01

How to check version
At this point, there should NOT be any kind of .bin or updater file on your SD card
that's in your camera. By this, I mean an SD card that already has been working
in your camera.
Turn the power on while pressing the MENU button.
The Firmware version is displayed for about 5 seconds at the center
of the LCD monitor.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * [Caution] * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

You are recommended to use the AC adapter (optional) when updating
Firmware.
If you are using CR-V3 lithium batteries or AA batteries, make sure that
batteries are fresh.
If AA Ni-MH rechargeable battery is use, be sure to use fully charged battery (this is what I used, 4 fully charged 2700mAh Uniross rechargeable Ni-MH).
If the camera turns off during updating due to lack of battery power, the
camera will become inoperable.
If this happens, a charge will be made for
repairs even if within the warranty period.

UPDATING PROCEDURE

1a. Before you update the firmware, it may be an idea to note down any custom settings you have set (at your camera, press Menu, scroll right to 'Custom Settings'). It will save you time later setting up the camera after the update (step 11b).

1b. Connect an SD memory card (one that is already proven to work in your camera) with at least 8 MB of available memory space to your PC.
The downloaded file updater from Pentax is self-extracting. Double click on the downloaded ds_e202w.exe file.
The following files are extracted.

readme.txt : this document
fwdc131b.bin : Firmware

Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc131b.bin] to the root directory in
the SD card ( i.e. immediately in the SD card and not in any folder in there).

If your computer does not have a card slot, you can copy the firmware
update file by inserting the SD card into your camera and then connecting
the camera directly to your computer.

2. If the camera power is on, turn it off.

3. Insert the update SD card (prepared in step 1) into the camera.

4. Connect the AC adapter to the camera if you have one, to use AC power.
If you are using a rechargeable battery, make sure that it is fully
charged (this is what I used, 4 fully charged 2700mAh Uniross rechargeable Ni-MH)., and if you are using batteries that are not rechargeable,
make sure that they are fresh batteries.

5. Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button.

6. "NOW LOADING" appears in the LCD monitor, and will change to the
"PROGRAM UPDATE". At the bottom of the LCD monitor,

CURRENT VERSION 1.00/1.01/1.02/2.00/2.01
UPDATE VERSION 2.02
will be displayed.

7. Press the four-way controller to select "YES" and press the "OK" button.

8. "UPDATING" appears on the LCD monitor and updating starts.
Please do not under any circumstances switch off the power before the
update is completed.
It will take approximately 90 seconds to complete update.

9. When update is completed, the "COMPLETE" will be displayed at the left
bottom of the LCD monitor, then turn the camera off.

10. Remove the update SD card from the camera.

11a. To check the Firmware version in your camera, turn the camera on while
pressing the MENU button.
Check that the version displayed in the LCD monitor is 2.02.
The camera automatically starts up after about 5 seconds.
11b. Now, or at any time after is the time to set the time, calendar etc and any custom settings that you use (see 1a above).

(Caution)
When updating is finished, the update SD card still contains the
Firmware file.
If you want to use this card to take pictures, delete the Firmware updater .bin file
first.

12. If the reason you have updated is to enable your camera to use a high capacity SDHC card, put your SDHC card into your camera. It should now work.

Last edited by jamelikat; 07-25-2010 at 03:29 AM. Reason: clarity
07-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, thanks for pointing out the upgrade. I've been eying the surprisingly cheap 4GB cards myself but didn't think my *istDS would ever support them.
07-25-2010, 01:40 AM   #3

Original Poster
every little bit helps

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Hey, thanks for pointing out the upgrade. I've been eying the surprisingly cheap 4GB cards myself but didn't think my *istDS would ever support them.
yes uccemebug, many little bits and pieces on our pentaxForum about ist DS firmware upgrade, and ist DS use of SDHC cards. Just thought I could do a combination title to a thread to exactly say what it's up to and stick such details in the mother post that would set things in a more real context, plus containing enough information for ist DS owners to act on with enough cautious confidence.

It had to be a bit long, but most was copy and paste anyway.

Glad that one day after posting, already 1 person halfway across the world has found it illuminating and potentially will ease the photography.

Yaay, 6 Mpixels is nothing to be ashamed of. For me, the bright pentaprism large viewfinder alone is worth hundreds of GB pounds in fantastic old manual focus screwmount lenses I already owned pre-digital that I can use easily, all like an old school camera person that I am. It was the very reason I bought a Pentax ist DS, to use those lenses.

Let's keep enjoying our ist DS'es : ) and best wishes to you.

Last edited by jamelikat; 07-25-2010 at 02:06 AM. Reason: clarity
07-25-2010, 02:38 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
That's you, one happy bunny then

07-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamelikat Quote
Let's keep enjoying our ist DS'es : ) and best wishes to you.
And to you!
08-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
yes, thanks, kerrow, ucce, the 4 gig card's made a significant difference, makes me use the camera more. Recent sample...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 

Last edited by jamelikat; 12-07-2010 at 08:20 PM.
08-19-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice to know that the *Ist DS supports the SDHC cards. I have one offered to me, but I been putting it off because this issue and other minor ones. I own several 4GB cards and the low capacity SD cards are getting hard to find.

08-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
PDL
Pentaxian

I updated my *ist Ds when firmware 2.02 came out. It not only sees 4GB, but 8 and 16GB cards too. In fact I have swapped a 4GB card between my *ist Ds, K10D and K20D - fired a few frames from each camera on the same card and they all survived.

A few weeks after doing this - the *ist Ds was handed off to my son.

Neat trick.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
08-20-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
Oro

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I updated my *ist Ds when firmware 2.02 came out. It not only sees 4GB, but 8 and 16GB cards too.

Yes, the upgrade is to support the SDHC format, which is what the newer, higher capacity cards use. It's a broad upgrade to anything SDHC compliant, not just 4gb cards or any specific speed class. It is an easy upgrade that owners should perform; there are other elements in the upgrade besides only SDHC support.
09-09-2010, 02:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamelikat Quote
yes, thanks, kerrow, ucce, the 4 gig card's made a significant difference, makes me use the camera more. Recent samples...
Finally picked up a 4GB HCSD card for my *istDS today thanks to this thread. Works like a charm, as others have reported. 360+ frames in one card, it's like ten rolls of film. Welcome back autobracket. (>_<)

Really like that second pic, jamelikat.
09-16-2010, 05:28 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
just like the title says: "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!" Although, wish I would have found this BEFORE I went to Israel last week

Thanks mucho!!!!!!
10-04-2010, 12:50 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
i just noticed this problem after the update:

i can't seem to select a different AF point by using the keys next to the LCD. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a setting I need to change?
07-26-2011, 07:35 AM   #13

[langtitle=zh-TW][Help]It's failed to update Pentax ist DS fireware 2.02[/langtitle]

Dear all,
I got Pentax ist DS dslr from my friend last week, and I wanted to use my 4Gb SDHC card in ist DS dslr.
I updated my ist DS firmware from 1.00 to 2.02. and step by step liked this :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/108530-yaaay-succe...sdhc-card.html

Now, I have a big problem because my ist DS dslr doesn't work when turn on
the camera power.

The version displayed in the LCD monitor is 2.02.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lary111111/2011726#5633659013427223762

When I put shutter button,it can't focus and the viewfinder becomes like this :
https://picasaweb.google.com/lary111111/2011726#5633658962788012946

The LCD information displayed just only :
"AV - -"
"battery capacity"
"SD card capacity"
https://picasaweb.google.com/lary111111/2011726#5633659154308812690

Anyone can tell me what's wrong with my dslr, please! Thanks a lot.
06-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #14

Update on updating Pentax *ist D firmware

Just a couple additions to the original authors experience updating a Pentax *ist D. (1) I couldn't get the SD card to take the downloaded files, at all. This was an SD card which I had been successfully using in the camera and I deleted all photos before I started. Still wouldn't work.....so I "formatted" this old SD card. BINGO.....worked like a charm! (2) The Pentax instructions are not correct. "Use at least a 8GB card" ????? The reason for the update was so you could use SDHC cards and 4GB or more cards. So, not only CAN'T YOU USE an 8 GB card (which are all SDHC cards, the camera wouldn't recognize it if you could. Very disappointed with Pentax on these instructions and I'm a Pentax fan since before the Spotmatic! Boo! Boo! Get your act together Pentax!

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 06-17-2017 at 02:55 PM.
06-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #15
PDL
Pentaxian

I call BS

QuoteOriginally posted by MichiganMike Quote
Just a couple additions to the original authors experience updating a Pentax *ist D. (1) I couldn't get the SD card to take the downloaded files, at all. This was an SD card which I had been successfully using in the camera and I deleted all photos before I started. Still wouldn't work.....so I "formatted" this old SD card. BINGO.....worked like a charm! (2) The Pentax instructions are not correct. "Use at least a 8GB card" ????? The reason for the update was so you could use SDHC cards and 4GB or more cards. So, not only CAN'T YOU USE an 8 GB card (which are all SDHC cards, the camera wouldn't recognize it if you could. Very disappointed with Pentax on these instructions and I'm a Pentax fan since before the Spotmatic! Boo! Boo! Get your act together Pentax!
The *ist D uses Compact Flash (CF) cards not SD cards (Secure Digital).

I have used my *ist Ds (now in the possession of my son) with 512MB, 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB and 32GB SDHC cards since firmware 2.02 came out. I think you are trolling here.

If you can get a SD card of any type to fit into and be used by a *ist D, you sir are a genius.