Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Please help: K7 banding issue

Since a few days ago, my K7 started to show this pattern in all pictures:

the first is a high ISO, the second low ISO and the third is a high exposure test photo.

It is clear that the banding is more pronounced at high ISO and low light.

Since the K7 is SH, warranty is not applicable. My questions are:

1. Is there anything I could do (i tried resetting, changing batteries but at no avail) to solve this?

2. If the answer to Q1 is no, does someone know if possible and how much would cost a sensor replacement?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

08-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It definitely looks like something is wrong with the sensor. This sort of repair would be included under warranty.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Adam, thanks for reply, unfortunately, even if the K7 was purchased from BHPhoto less than a year ago, I have bought it from the original owner without any papers, only with the box and accessories. This issue appeared after around 12000 actuations.
08-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
how long did you have it before the problem showed up?

08-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
how long did you have it before the problem showed up?
6 months, approx 10000 actuations. never struck it, drop it, wet it or any other extreme treatments.
08-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think these cameras come with a power adapter you can plug into AC. I would remove any battery from the camera, wait a few minutes, then plug it into an AC adapter and take a few pics that way. You probably don't have any way of knowing if these batteries are quality batteries, or if they've been abused by leaving in the charger for an extended period. worth a try i think.

best wishes,
08-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I think these cameras come with a power adapter you can plug into AC. I would remove any battery from the camera, wait a few minutes, then plug it into an AC adapter and take a few pics that way. You probably don't have any way of knowing if these batteries are quality batteries, or if they've been abused by leaving in the charger for an extended period. worth a try i think.

best wishes,
One is available but an AC adapter is not included with the camera. Only the charger.

This is the first time I've ever seen a banding issue post where I could actually SEE the banding. It LOOKS to me as though something may be partially blocking the light however, as the sensor IS recording detail. I don't know if that means anything or not but have a look inside to see if you can discover anything.

08-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
One is available but an AC adapter is not included with the camera. Only the charger.

This is the first time I've ever seen a banding issue post where I could actually SEE the banding. It LOOKS to me as though something may be partially blocking the light however, as the sensor IS recording detail. I don't know if that means anything or not but have a look inside to see if you can discover anything.

Nothing inside of that nature .

It is puzzling somehow because the sensor is recording something, it just does not seem as sensitive anymore in that left band (note that the bright light of the lamp forced the sensor to transmit a better signal so the noise did not appear so visible)

also the fact that high ISO brings a more pronounced should be indicative of something, unfortunately I do not have the technical background to see or at least speculate about the cause.
08-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes I have seen that twice before on other cameras. One was a Canon Point and shoot, that I replaced. The other was my K10D, where I made use of my extended 2-year warranty though Mack. They sent my camera to Pentax who replaced the sensor.
I am sorry to say that it seems to me that the sensor is gone bad.
08-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What firmware release is the camera on?
Did you ever update?

You can press the menu key while turning on the power to check the firmware revision.

The first firmware revisions in the early production batches of the K-7 are well known for all kinds of issues (hot pixels, banding, green lines etc.)

If you using 1.0 or 1.01, try updating and check again.

Cheers, Bert