Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We hear about people switching to Canikon, anyone switched from Canikon to Pentax?

Or am I a rare individual that dumped all Canon gear on ebay and replaced it with a new Pentax system.... My first Pentax was the K10D and served me well...I am happy with my switch...

08-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i'm a cam whore but I use my Pentax system the most. When I moved to digital it was Canon then to Pentax jumped in at the 200D era but recently added a Canon system 7D but it doesn't get used as much as my Pentax gear
08-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I used various Canon 135 P&S's -- does that count?
08-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I used various Canon 135 P&S's -- does that count?
Well I would then have to count my wife too

08-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I read 'moved from Canikon to Pentax--what lenses to buy' threads on PF pretty often.
08-05-2010, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, I started selling off my Canon gear and buying into Pentax two years ago. I dislike change and dislike selling gear, so it's been a gradual process; I still have a Canon 20D and the 100-400 and 20-35 L zooms. They're probably all doomed to be sold off in the coming year, though I do like that 100-400. Wish Pentax had one.

What spurred me to switch, oddly enough, was buying a 5D -- and hating it. Too bulky, too clunky, too noisy, too slow of autofocus. The viewfinder info was hard -- make that impossible -- to read on a sunny day. And for all that, the images weren't particularly better than I was already getting with the 20D. (I'm not that interested in patient tripod photography. If I were, I'd probably own a 5D MkII.)

I still suffer gear lust. I bought a Nikon F100 a while ago (I shoot film, too) and sent it right back because I just loved the feel of it and I could see myself slipping into owning a third system. I wonder whether the 5D MkII has fixed enough of the problems with the 5D to make it worth investigating. And don't get me started on the D700....

Then I pick up the K-7 and realize I just plain love taking pictures with it. The image quality is so far ahead of what I get on film, and the differences in image quality between systems are so slight, that you might as well shoot with a camera that pleases you.

That said, I still think the Canon 20D is a whale of a good camera and at current prices one of the best deals out there.
08-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Nope, I switched from Canon.

I had a couple threads:

when I was looking to see what glass Pentax offered
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/102058-canon-d...-guidence.html

And a month or so after switching
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/104945-pentax-love-af...tory-long.html

I have zero regrets doing so.

08-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Had a Canon XSi for about a year then switched to the K-x. Greatest choice I ever made.
08-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #9

I switched from Nikon to Pentax.

I had a Nikon D70s for almost two years growing ever more frustrated and annoyed with it's limitations when shooting M42 glass. I had a small collection of K-mount, M42 and T-mount lenses from a very brief foray into 35mm film (Ricoh KR-10 Super) prior to getting the Nikon. I could use the M42 lenses, if I didn't mind being unable to focus to infinity. I couldn't meter with a manual lens attached, always had to do test shots to check exposure... I wasn't a very happy shooter with the camera. It also seemed like a magnet to all manner of dust on the sensor.

I had a couple friends who shot with Pentax K10D's at the time I was trying to decide if I was going to move up to a better Nikon body or switch to something else. Canon wasn't an option simply based on cost of body and glass. Nikon wasn't very appealing either for the same reason. Sony held zero appeal and neither did Olympus. It seemed that Pentax had nothing but positive features when compared to everything else. Ease of use for any type of lens, weather sealed, anti-shake in the body, more megapixels (over twice that of the D70s)... so I bought a K20D, now almost two years to the date...

...and I have absolutely no regrets in having done so. I love it. I could probably go on and rant about each and every little thing I love about it. Literally night and day when compared to the D70s.
08-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I switched from Nikon to Pentax.
My gorgeous but misinformed wife bought us (me) a Nikon dslr three years ago. I played with it for one day and returned it in exchange for our (my) K10.

But that is not the sort of story you are fishing for. Are you?
08-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Glad to hear that there are also people switching to Pentax. I was getting concerned that with the heavy marketing from Canikon, stores not carrying Pentax and then Pentax owners switching to Canikon, that Pentax might be a dying breed. Also I have the feeling that the K-x has lift Pentax brand, and the K-7 is helping. I find the flickr stats actually quite interesting:
Flickr: Camera Finder: Pentax
08-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I used to own a Nikon SLR with a couple of zooms and got a Pentax DSLR this year.
Now I'm all Pentax, digital and film.
08-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Nope, I started on 35mm with Pentax, added - but not switched - a Minolta, and went with Pentax for DSLR after checking a few reviews of the K-x and handling Nikon's newer ones...I'll keep my Pentax, thank you...
08-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #14

I bought a canon 10d after giving my brother my k100ds and just sold the 10d for a kx
08-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I went from Topcon 35mm with fixed length lenses, to a Pentax Spotmatic and Fuji ST with fixed-length SMC Takumars, to Canon (mostly FD zooms), then to Pentax with DA zooms. Don't plan on going back to film or fixed-length lenses, but I'm flexible brand-wise.

Paul