Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2007, 10:17 AM   #1

Potential new Pentax user

Hello,

I've been reading and searching through these forums for several days now, and wow, what an education.

I'm a Nikon user (D70s) thinking of switching over to Pentax, specifically the K100D. I'm an advanced amateur on a tight budget, I'm spoiled by the exposure controls and beautiful low noise of a DSLR, and I think I can get a K100D, the lenses I want and recoup most of that expense after selling off my Nikon equipment. I figured "soon" being a good time with Pentax's rebate and the falling price of the K100D.

The main reason I'm thinking of moving over is Pentax's historic lens compatibility, and being able to find good oldies at low cost. I've found a few lenses I'm interested in on the used market, and I hope that they will still be there next month. And as time goes on, I'll probably be interested in other lenses as well — LBA alert!

I would be loosing a few things compared to my D70s, like dual command dials, a larger grip, and faster performance to name a few. I think I can live without them, and I'll be gaining shake reduction with all my lenses (I know it won't do miracles), better out-of-the-camera photos for the 90% of the time I don't feel like doing RAW, and, not least, compatibility with older lenses.

This forum has told me a lot about battery issues (I plan to get the Rayovac Hybrids), opinions on specific lenses, effectiveness of the current dust reduction (not worth the cost for the K100D Super for me)...is there anything else I should know? Do you think I'm making the better choice?

Thanks!

Alex

08-23-2007, 10:56 AM   #2

Hi, nice to see people rethink their camera gear

Well, for one, I would reconsider on the K100D super, because lots of lenses in the feature will be SDM-supported. The K100D Super's main improvement imo was the SDM support (they added the contacts in the mount that the k100d lacked. The k10d had these. The k100d super gives people the possibility to shoot with high-end glass and basicly makes the market bigger for pentax to sell the DA* lenses.

Even if you think about buying oldies at first (great idea, ofcourse), do remember that in the future you just _might_ think on some new lens with SDM!

Greetings
08-23-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice to read about Nikon guy thinking about switching to Pentax
thumbs up....
Well, K100D is nice camera, but as barendvl wrote, I would reconsider K100D Super or K10D in your place. If you aren't interrested in new lenses, or your budget is too tihght for them, fair enough, K100D has it all...
but if you don't want to loose larger grip, dual command dial and faster performance, think about K10D, it's prices are veeeeeeeery low now,
but which ever way you'll go, welcome to Pentax club
08-23-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

My K100d will arrive today!! In fact the UPS man is drving up my driveway NOW!! I think it's going to be PERFECT for me!!

For YOU.... I am not so sure. Based on your knowledge and your previous owndership of a d70 I think you may be happier if you wait a little bit until you can afford the k10d.

08-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
barendvl:

Yeah, I'll be considering new/current lenses in the future. If I get the K100D I do plan on getting a new f/4 16-45mm lens. However, by the time I'll have the money to consider new lenses, a few years from now, I'll probably have a new body that will support SDM lenses. And from what I read, SDM lenses will still work on non-SDM support bodies, they'll just rely on the in-camera motor for AF instead of the sonic goodness.

axl:

I did think about the K10D, and it's outside of my budget. I think I'll be fine with the K100D, I've long felt that a few aspects about my Nikon D70s were a little more than what I actually used. Yes, fast performance is quite nice, but I think I can survive if it's a little slower, it'll still be much faster than the compact digitals. And I've held the K100D in a store, I can still hold it comfortably, more so than the Canon Rebel XTi (that thing is too tiny for me).

lapeen:

Congrats on your new Pentax! Woot!

Sometime after I purchased my Nikon D70s, I realized that although it's quite nice, I would have still been very happy if I had something less since I don't utilize its full potential. Although the K100D will in some ways be a downgrade, I don't think it'll really hinder me.

Thanks everyone!

Alex
08-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
Banned

Im really going to have to almost ORDER you to get the K10D. The K100D is getting ready to be REALLY outdated because Pentax is releasing a new 12+ MP camera very soon. Youd be best getting the K10D because you wonthave the TOP OF THE LINE gear, but its definately enough to stay in competition.
08-23-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Hello Alex,
Welcome, I myself have a K100D and just love the camera. One thing I like with the Pentax system is the backward lens compatibility, just last weekend I took my 27yrs old F1.4 K mount Pentax and put it on and took it for a spin, I would say that I was amazed with the result, nice well balance color and pleasing look in them. There are times using a manual lens makes you feel like in control,just like the old days. The IQ coming out of the K100 are exceptional, so welcome aboard.

Cheers,

Rene R

08-23-2007, 05:14 PM   #8

Studying the manual, studying the manual, studying the manual!

Well......

I have the 10KD and am trying to learn how to use it; it is a tad heavy, as Pentax bodies go. I have a bunch of lens of the full frame type that I am using with the new body. So far, so good. However, today I went to a high school volleyball tourney, taking the new Pentax with me along with the Pentax SMC 28~105mm. The indoor volleyball court is well lighted, but still I had to use the on-board flash a lot. Don't recall the guide #, but it has to be low. The most bothersome thing was the slow meter-shutter response which just ruined my day there. Worst of all, there was a fellow using a new Nikon with a good flash unit installed who gave me this jackass-eating-briars look every time my camera's flash went off after the action on the court. I think that he was using one of the newer F-40's or whatever it is, a digital camera by Nikon. ....I should have known to get a good flash to use, but it has been SO long since I've done any real shooting that I just plain forgot about that. And without that, all of my shots just didn't work. I got blurred shots, pure darkness, and such. I was crushed! So, here I am, and what should I do next, buy a good flash unit to attach to the body? The Nikon guy was shooting and shooting, his flash going off all of the time. I asked him what the guide # of his flash was and he replied that he didn't know, that it was all automatic. ..........

So, lesson learned. Now I am looking for a good flash unit. Any suggestions?

FLASH
08-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #9

same boat!

Yeah, I'm actually about to become a proud pentax owner myself as well . Currently I have a Canon G6, while its very good for a P&S I'm getting really into concert photography and it obviously simply won't cut it. I feel very lucky to be entering the DSLR market now since I don't have to be tied to my prior lenses and have so many choices. Many Canon/Nikon owners are stuck with their mounts and never really got the choice to consider pentax.

Anyways, I think I'm going to go with a cheap clear out K100D as well. I like it over the K10D mainly for its price and ISO performance, but I would definitely consider an upgrade later on.
08-23-2007, 09:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by gerbilbox Quote

Yeah, I'll be considering new/current lenses in the future. If I get the K100D I do plan on getting a new f/4 16-45mm lens. However, by the time I'll have the money to consider new lenses, a few years from now, I'll probably have a new body that will support SDM lenses. And from what I read, SDM lenses will still work on non-SDM support bodies, they'll just rely on the in-camera motor for AF instead of the sonic goodness.

I did think about the K10D, and it's outside of my budget. I think I'll be fine with the K100D,
Thanks everyone!

Alex
Alex, Although I have the K10D I also have a K110D (same as the K100D but no SR) I think you are taking the correct approach. Get the body that suits your needs and this is a very good camera. If you ever decide to go to another body it can always serve as a backup body or you can sell it. 2-3 year old *ist D's are still getting a decent resell dollar. Spend your budget on lenses. It's by far the best way to improve your image quality. It seems lately there are a few that are running around looking for the next latest and greatest body. Do that and you'll be chasing your tail till you run out of money.

As for speed, you mentioned you shoot mostly in Jpeg and that camera is quite fast for most users. I did a test for another person interested in the camera a few days ago and it will shoot 5 frames at 3 fps and then continuously at about 2 fps until the battery dies (that was at 6mp *** Best). So that should be fast enough for almost any user.

As for size there are some after market grips out there on Ebay and some posters have tried them and liked them ok. Not a perfect fit but they may fit your hand ok although I like the camera just as it is.

Last don't under estimate the SR. I have experienced shots at at least 4 stops under the "rule of thumb" and it has saved many a shot that would have required a tripod. Someone here posted a reiew done by a German lab that tested the in camera SR against the in lens version. The Pentax SR came out on top and at the very least the in lens SR was no better. In camera SR is a huge advantage with all the old glass. Once you've tried it you'll see.

I think you're on the right track and get some nice glass (take your new body on a pawn shop search and you could come up with some $10 gems) and start posting some pics to share with us.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 08-23-2007 at 09:27 PM.
08-23-2007, 11:16 PM   #11

Sometime after I purchased my Nikon D70s, I realized that although it's quite nice, I would have still been very happy if I had something less since I don't utilize its full potential. Although the K100D will in some ways be a downgrade, I don't think it'll really hinder me.
Now that's some reasonable thinking if I've ever seen one. It's refreshing to see someone actually evaluating his real needs before shelling out the cash

Being K100D user for almost a year now I can coun't on fingers occasions where I have felt that my camera is letting me down. I've cursed small buffer few times, I do miss metering mode and AF point dials and indeed AF is not exactly lightning fast. On the other hand, I couldn't live without SR anymore. Not that my hands shake uncontrollably but because I shoot available light handheld all the time it has saved so many shots that it's not even funny. Once you'll have in-body SR you really (I mean REALLY) start to wonder why on earth people still buy bodies without that feature and then pay through their nose for VR/IS/OS lenses.

Oh, and you'll definitely appreciate AA batteries when you're in the middle of family reunion and your batteries run dry. There's always somebody with PS cam who can lend you his set or you can digg out batteries from remotes, flashlights or other appliances. Handy, handy, handy.

BUT. I don't know about D70s, but K100D isn't exactly the quietest cam around. Forget secret snaps, everyone and their brother in the room will know that you've taken the picture when the shutter slaps. It's not generally a problem, but I've been embarassed few times, for example in the church with good acoustics.
08-23-2007, 11:18 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks Peter. Yeah, I've moved beyond the "latest and greatest" syndrome after purchasing my Nikon D70s and I realized what my needs were, and I think 6 MP is pretty adequate for me. Of course, more MP would be nice, but not necessary. The K10D looks tempting, and so does the new Canon and Nikon models, but they wouldn't give me that much joy if I bust the bank getting the bodies but then not have much money left for the glass.

One of my projects/goals is to build a macro setup so I can finally photodocument the insect collection I made for a class a few years ago. And I hope that this will double as a dissecting scope for whenever I geek out and find something I want to examine up close.

Alex
08-24-2007, 01:04 AM   #13
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingsofronin Quote
Im really going to have to almost ORDER you to get the K10D. The K100D is getting ready to be REALLY outdated because Pentax is releasing a new 12+ MP camera very soon. Youd be best getting the K10D because you wonthave the TOP OF THE LINE gear, but its definately enough to stay in competition.
Just because 12+ mpx is MAYBE coming, doesn't make K100D outdated...
If you don't print bigger than 10x15 inches, what do you need 12mpx for? If you shoot landscapes, what do you need 5fps (or 3fps until card is full as in K10) for? It's really all about what we need. And if it's not the fastest, biggest, newest and best DSLR, then good for us. At least we save, but we'll be still as happy as any of you who has the newest thing. Maybe even more....
08-24-2007, 05:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I also reject the "more is better" hype (especially as regards the never-ending megapixel chase) and find more joy and challenge in trying to do more with less.

I further reject the premise of having equipment which can stay in "competition". Competition with whom? For what?

The notion that the K100D is soon going to be REALLY "outdated" strikes me as odd. Even "outdated" cameras in working order are still capable of turning out respectable images. Despite added/improved features and proliferation of electronic modes and settings, we're all each and every one of us still performing the same basic tasks that photographers have been performing since the beginning: Focus, set aperture, set speed, capture image.

My "outdated" early 1950s Wester Autorol (medium format rangefinder) requires me to set the shutter speed by turning a ring around the lens and set the aperture by moving a slide. The shutter speed requires me to turn the camera around so I can see the numbers.

As you can see, the images the camera is capable of suffer horribly from not having the latest whizbang electronic interface to set the shutter and aperture.

I love my K100D....together with its assortment of "outdated" 1960s lenses....and will ask to be excused from the feature/megapixel rat race, thanks very much.
08-24-2007, 10:19 AM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

One of my projects/goals is to build a macro setup so I can finally photodocument the insect collection I made for a class a few years ago. And I hope that this will double as a dissecting scope for whenever I geek out and find something I want to examine up close.

Alex
find yourself a nice SMC A 50mm f1.7 or better yet a f 1.4 ("A's" offer more function on these cameras but the same in an "M" is great as well). Then get a set of extension tubes and you have a great macro setup. I also have a Vivitar continuously focusing macro lens (rare but available once in awhile) that works great as a dual purpose. 2 x to make the lens a 100mm f 2.8/ f3.4 and also a 1:1 macro. I will post a picture of it to this thread tomorrow when I get home. Great macro and standard lens shooting setup either way.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I also reject the "more is better" hype (especially as regards the never-ending megapixel chase) and find more joy and challenge in trying to do more with less.

My "outdated" early 1950s Wester Autorol (medium format rangefinder)

As you can see, the images the camera is capable of suffer horribly from not having the latest whizbang electronic interface to set the shutter and aperture.
That shot proves the point totally. Couldn't have said it better myself and even though I own both cameras, that doesn't take anything away from the K110D/K100D. I just needed a second body for the stuff I shoot and I got a great deal on a used K10D.

BTW this mega pixel thing has a trade off, there always is a trade off. The K100D is better at ISO 1600 than the K10D. Cramming all those pixels in the same space adds noise. So in some ways the K100D is better even if it lacks a few of the creative controls. Who knows what the CMOS 12.5mp will be like at ISO's above 800. I'd rather have a good 6-10mp sensor that has clean ISO 1600/3200 images.

Cause in the end it's really about the picture not the toys. Right?