Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Swap Focusing Screen from old SLR to DSLR

Dear Pentaxian friends, I have an old K1000 SLR with a split image and micro prism focusing screen. I was wondering if I could remove it and mount it on my K20D?
I could file it to size if it happens to be bigger than the K20D screen.
Appreciate any advice, guidance or instructions as it may also be useful to many other Pentax owners.

10-10-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You sure can. If you can stand wasting a K1000 in the process (I have a junker MZ-M I'm planing to take it from). Here are the relevent threads and links with detailed information:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/85898-diy-split-screen-my-k10d.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/51800-i-made-my-ow...ng-screen.html
Pentax DSLR | Latest Info About Pentax DSLR
10-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Dear Pentaxian friends, I have an old K1000 SLR with a split image and micro prism focusing screen. I was wondering if I could remove it and mount it on my K20D?
I could file it to size if it happens to be bigger than the K20D screen.
Appreciate any advice, guidance or instructions as it may also be useful to many other Pentax owners.
Hi nanhi as mcTak says it is a bit hard on the K1000 !
But if it is a non runner then it is an option.
I went for a newer camera as doner. Split focus screen for K100D adventure
the acrylic gets pretty britle with age.
That youtube tutorial above has the good idea of scoring and snapping rather than the sanding I use.
However he loses the little tab that the screen is grasped by.
I avoid all touching of the screen with bare fingers. Also thought the way he placed the screen directly on the other to mark it was asking for scratches. That stuff is soft and easy to scratch. Any marks stand out like dogs gonads

have fun.
Pete

Last edited by Transit; 10-10-2010 at 02:15 PM.