Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Post your k7 low light high ISO shots

I'd like to see low light K7 high ISO raw images.
Thanks. Does anyone here use Aperture?

10-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Tony3d,

I mainly shoot sport using a K7 (in RAW) and floodlit matches are a complete no-go area because pushing the ISO up is simply too noisy.

ISO 1600 is okay, maybe even ISO 2000, but once you get to ISO 3200+ it's just too noisy.

Also, I use Aperture 3 and it's brilliant. I used to use Photoshop, and since I switched to Aperture my editing times are at least a quarter of what they used to be. However, there aren't any layers, so for quite complicated post processing you're better off using Photoshop (but only for those select, few images).

The way you export the RAW files from Aperture (which don't need converting, the Mac just reads them) as a variety of different files (JPEG, TIFF, PNG, etc) and different resolutions is brilliant. Batch renaming is simple too, as is adding watermarks to all the images.

Highly recommended!

Hope this helps,

Matthew
(The Kellyboy)
10-21-2010, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No clue how to post RAW, but I can do you a deal on processed JPGs . As an aside, I was (cunningly, from inside my office looking out towards where the support guys keep their spare parts) playing with this during an especially boring moment between data manipulation stretches at work today, to see if I could make 6400 work for anything. I found:

- Shoot 6400 for a mixed light/dark scene and take a +-0EV regular reading and it's horrible
- Shoot 6400 for a mixed light/dark scene and take a +2.3EV regular reading, reduce it back in RAW by -1 stop and do nothing it's better - but not as good as:
- Shoot 6400 for a mixed light/dark scene and take a +2.3EV regular reading, then reduce it in RAW by -.5EV, bring down brightness, up recovery and blacks, add noiseninja and it got me the best of the bunch. Which was this, a 1:1 and scaled down to 800px wide. I guess it all really depends what you need to do with it, for an online scaled down pic I can live with it, but if you're displaying at billboard size or doing 1:1 crops it's not the greatest

Last edited by Nass; 05-08-2017 at 08:20 AM.