Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 and K-R with manual lenses, any improvements?

I've been reading all these new threads about K-R and K-5 and so far havent seen any reports on how they handle legacy glass.

I think many of us manual focus users would like to hear about how accurate is stopdown metering. And also if there's any improvement on Av mode with M42 lenses when compared to older bodies.

How about the viewfinders, is there any improvements there? Are the focusing screens still easily replacable?

10-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Come on! Some of you early adopters must have some manual lenses too.
10-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ovim Quote
Come on! Some of you early adopters must have some manual lenses too.
I guess we're having so much fun now with our AF lenses that manual focus lenses are the last thing on our minds... Seriously, I'm glad I junked a lot of old legacy lenses because the new K-5 will quickly show up the resolution shortcomings of mediocre lenses.
10-17-2010, 01:46 AM   #4
Inactive Account

i am also very interestet about some results.....

10-17-2010, 02:26 AM   #5

isn't the metering one of the few thigns taken unchanged from the k7? along with the same viewfinder would imagine manual lens are pretty much identical but i dont have a k5 so who knows
10-17-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
isn't the metering one of the few thigns taken unchanged from the k7? along with the same viewfinder would imagine manual lens are pretty much identical but i dont have a k5 so who knows
It'd be nice if someone could verify this. And also it would be nice to hear about K-R.
10-17-2010, 02:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ovim Quote
It'd be nice if someone could verify this. And also it would be nice to hear about K-R.
I bet the early adopters are too excited about the high ISO capabilities and much much improved AF to bother testing the MF improvements

I would do the same had I have one of those right now

10-17-2010, 02:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I only have a couple of A lenses w/ me, don't have any non-A lenses. You tell me what you want to test, I can do it for you.

Just now I tested K5 w/ A50/1.2 in M mode, at different aperture settings from wide open all the way to fully closed down, used green button to do metering, results came out about the same as if using Av mode, pretty much spot on all the way. But I know A lenses are different from non-A lenses, hard to say it'd be the same w/ non-A lenses.
10-17-2010, 02:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I only have a couple of A lenses w/ me, don't have any non-A lenses. You tell me what you want to test, I can do it for you.

Just now I tested K5 w/ A50/1.2 in M mode, at different aperture settings from wide open all the way to fully closed down, used green button to do metering, results came out about the same as if using Av mode, pretty much spot on all the way. But I know A lenses are different from non-A lenses, hard to say it'd be the same w/ non-A lenses.
Frank, would you have some m42 lenses laying around to test the metering?
10-17-2010, 03:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Frank, would you have some m42 lenses laying around to test the metering?
No, I've sold most of my manual lenses, only one A50/1.2 left. The other one is an A35/2 which I borrowed for testing against the DA35/2.4.
10-17-2010, 04:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Most of the manual stuff I have I got "low-priced" from E-Bay.
They worked on the K100D, still OK on the K-7.
After seeing the K-5 resolution, I'm afraid I'm going to have to retire almost all of them.

Those who have VERY good old manual lenses could still cut it on the K-5.
For most of the average "OK" lenses, it will not be worth the effort on the K-5.
10-17-2010, 04:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
After seeing the K-5 resolution, I'm afraid I'm going to have to retire almost all of them.

For most of the average "OK" lenses, it will not be worth the effort on the K-5.
+1 to this...
I'll definitely be junking all the manual focus lenses that I have eventually... shot with the few that I have and they just cannot make it in both resolution and contrast... With AF now a quantum leap ahead in Pentax terms, there's just little reason to play with old manual focus lenses, and I'm not getting any younger. I'm not the sentimental type, if something is outmoded, it's just time to let it go...
10-17-2010, 04:37 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote

Hmm then I'll have my upcoming K5 dedicated to AF lenses in that case. My lens collection is mainly composed of 95% MF lenses though they are doing very fine on my K10D.
10-17-2010, 04:39 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
+1 to this...
I'll definitely be junking all the manual focus lenses that I have eventually... shot with the few that I have and they just cannot make it in both resolution and contrast... With AF now a quantum leap ahead in Pentax terms, there's just little reason to play with old manual focus lenses. I'm not the sentimental type, if something is outmoded, it's just time to let it go...
Let me know when you're about to get rid of them I'll be happy to help giving them a new home We're not too far away, I'm in Vietnam right now
10-17-2010, 05:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Let me know when you're about to get rid of them I'll be happy to help giving them a new home We're not too far away, I'm in Vietnam right now
I think you already have plenty of lenses in you big collection... you definitely don't need any of my rejects.