Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

My K-5 First Impressions

Having just shot and processed my first batch of K-5 photos over the last couple days, here are my first impressions:

1. AF speed and accuracy are both much improved over the K-7 and other Pentax dSLRs. There's very little of the "doublechecking" found in previous Pentax AF systems. It just finds the lock and sticks it in one motion. NICE.
2. Noise levels are spectacular at base ISO (as you'd expect) and all the way up to ISO 3200. ISO 6400 is plenty usable with minimal NR, and 12,800 and 25,600 are useful with work from something like Topaz DeNoise.
3. In RAW, the headroom is roughly equivalent to that of my D700. This is simply amazing from an APS-C sensor.
4. The Sony sensor seems to render slightly cooler images than the Samsung sensor in the K-7 and K20D. I have the feeling it's more realistic, but having "seen" color in a certain way for a few years it's interesting trying to adapt. (I had a similar experience with the K-x's color output.)
5. I don't see any softness at 100% due to the 16mp resolution. Really quite stunning in the sharpness department with the right glass--lookin' at you, DA35 Macro.
6. The shutter is even quieter than that of the K-7. Seriously quiet and quick.
7. More to come as I do more shooting, I'm sure...

Here are some images. These are all processed in LR3, some quite heavily. I'm not going for test shots here. I'm just going out and using it and developing the photos as I would from any other camera:

(Thanks, Kristin)

(Thanks again)

(100% crop from color version of above photo)

10-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All first shots w/ fullsize option: K-5 First Shots - deadwolfbones' Photos

First one is there due to it being the first shot I took with the lens, obviously not for any artistic merit. :P
10-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An good initial impression. Thanks for sharing this mate. These are good signs and will no doubt make the K-5 a good choice among its competitors. I'm liking the positive vibe it's creating among the new owners.
10-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great photos! , looks like your having fun with it! Looking foward to hearing and seeing more from it!

10-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice samples so far. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

One of the nice bonuses of the K-5 is it really seems to reward high resolution lenses like the FA43 as shown by your pictures with it. It's not just a good high ISO camera.
10-20-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
5. I don't see any softness at 100% due to the 16mp resolution. Really quite stunning in the sharpness department with the right glass--lookin' at you, DA35 Macro.
After a tons of Canon 7D photos which I've seen (rather soft and soapy), it is BIGGEST surprise.
16 MP makes IQ better, not worse.
Per-pixel resolution and sharpness are better than K-7.
And on pair with K10D and K-x with weak AA filter, but with better details from K-5. It's exactly what I want...
10-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If anybody has any questions I'll be glad to answer 'em to the best of my ability.

10-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #8
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
If anybody has any questions I'll be glad to answer 'em to the best of my ability.
I've seen in exif of another K-5's photos -
ShakeReduction AutoOFF
Photoble Uploader for PENTAX

Is there SR AUTO OFF function?

Can you upload PDF manual for K-5?

Last edited by ogl; 10-20-2010 at 11:33 PM.
10-21-2010, 12:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
nice very nice.
10-21-2010, 12:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I am speechless!!!

I am speechless and spellbound, the quality is amazing, I would say very close to FF results what I have seen on web sofar.

I am low on funds and therefore eying on K-r but these continuous torture from early K-5 adopters with miraculous image quality is making whirlpools in my mind.

How early can K-5 body go below 1000pounds in UK?

Atindra
10-21-2010, 12:36 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Which lens did you use? EXIF says focal lenght is 43mm, is it 43mm FA Ltd?
10-21-2010, 12:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
I am speechless and spellbound, the quality is amazing, I would say very close to FF results what I have seen on web sofar.

I am low on funds and therefore eying on K-r but these continuous torture from early K-5 adopters with miraculous image quality is making whirlpools in my mind.

How early can K-5 body go below 1000pounds in UK?

Atindra
Looks to me the K-R has excellent image quality as well, though Pentax obviously reserved the best for its flagship APS-C model. No more K-7/K-X type of debate.
Most of the K-5's advantages may be on the usage side.

The premium $ to get that extra polish is quite hefty though.

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Which lens did you use? EXIF says focal lenght is 43mm, is it 43mm FA Ltd?
Looks like it...a very high quality lens + very high quality camera + skilled photographer = "Magic"
10-21-2010, 12:46 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
I am really impressed by the fact that someone are able to see from web pictures that the picture is taken with a 24x36mm camera and not an aps-c format camera.
10-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great write-up!
Of course I'm biased, but then again... I guess you could be too
Can we look forward to an advanced review based around more time with the system(maturity)?
10-21-2010, 12:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Great shots, image quality is truly excellent, however I'd say a fair chunk is do with the photographer.

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
After a tons of Canon 7D photo
Ogl, seriously, you're like a broken record stuck on speed fanboy - it's getting very boring listening to your constant whining about the 7D. Almost every post you make starts with some BS remark.