Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2007, 04:37 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K10D's - how low can they go?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Has anyone seen a brand-new K10D for less than here? With shipping it would be $699 Canadian. Has anyone had any good (or bad) experiences with this company?

09-17-2007, 04:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's the best deal yet I've seen for the K10D. Even in the States the lowest price seems to be $699 plus the small exchange and then added shipping. From their feedback scores and comments I'd have no hesitation getting one from these guys plus unlike most Ebay sellers they offer a toll free number so you can call with any questions. By their volume and hours of operation it would appear they are a brick and mortar store. Why not call them and get the address. That way if there is an issue you know where they are located.
09-17-2007, 06:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Beware..

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Has anyone seen a brand-new K10D for less than here? With shipping it would be $699 Canadian. Has anyone had any good (or bad) experiences with this company?
When price drops crazy and to a lower level ever seen, one should be aware a new replacement model would be around the corner.

BTW, that's price is not very low for what I can get, in Hong Kong, for grey market goods without original warranty (the cheapest recently seen is just (US)$600 for the body only)
09-17-2007, 06:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I bought my K10D from them about a month ago, (before the price drop, so I paid about $100 more). They are an ebay storefront for Carmen's camera, in South Western Ontario.

When I paid for the camera in the evening, I set my shipping address to work, after payment was complete, I noticed that they will ship to Paypal verified addresses only. (oops). By the time I got to work in the morning, I had a message from them, called, talked directly to the seller, and it was resolved quickly.

My camera arrived in 2 days (shipped within province).

I was extremely satisfied with the transaction. (Until the prices went down from Pentax Canada)

YMMV.

09-17-2007, 08:58 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
When price drops crazy and to a lower level ever seen, one should be aware a new replacement model would be around the corner.

BTW, that's price is not very low for what I can get, in Hong Kong, for grey market goods without original warranty (the cheapest recently seen is just (US)$600 for the body only)

I have a hard time justifying spending this much on the camera so it is unlikely I would wait and opt to purchase a new and yet unproven model at a higher price. This is just my warped thought process.

Honestly, I would rather pay a bit more and have it shipped from within my province and country and have peace of mind with a 2 year warranty. $600 US = $625 CAN + shipping (at least another $30 or $40 US) - it would hardly be worth the risk, but yes, it is cheaper.
09-17-2007, 09:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a hard time justifying spending this much on the camera so it is unlikely I would wait and opt to purchase a new and yet unproven model at a higher price. This is just my warped thought process.

Honestly, I would rather pay a bit more and have it shipped from within my province and country and have peace of mind with a 2 year warranty. $600 US = $625 CAN + shipping (at least another $30 or $40 US) - it would hardly be worth the risk, but yes, it is cheaper.
Not warped at all the warranty and not worrying about some suspect grey market used item would be worth it.

Plus as usual RH didn't provide any link or details. If you said you could get it for $400 he would most likely said he could get it for $300. We are, as you know, in the presence of one far more knowledgeable than the rest of us regular folks.

Can't wait to see some pics from the new cam when it comes in.
09-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Me too. For me, it's a big dollar amount, so I'm overly cautious. Before I bought it, I emailed Pentax Canada to see if this seller was a valid seller, and that the Canadian Warranty would be valid.

They confirmed it, I bought it.

09-17-2007, 12:34 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I purchased my AF540 flash from them. Great people to deal with, and as davek mentioned, their shipping is FAST.

However, FYI, if you are from ontario, you will be charged 14% on top of the total cost.
09-17-2007, 04:30 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr.Dan Quote
I purchased my AF540 flash from them. Great people to deal with, and as davek mentioned, their shipping is FAST.

However, FYI, if you are from ontario, you will be charged 14% on top of the total cost.
Thanks for all the replies! Yeah, I am aware that I will have to pay the PST & GST (14%) on any purchases made in Ontario. It wouldn't matter if I bought it from my local camera shop wants a helluvalot more than $699 for a K10D - I'd still get dinged the taxes.

I called them today to see how friendly they really are and to get some information on prices. I am confident that they are legitimate and that I will get the camera for the price quoted. The one caveat is that I will have to wait until next week as I am in Toronto for the rest of the week on business. I want to be in town when they deliver my new camera!

Thanks again everyone!
09-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #10

I just bought a k100d from them too... hope it will come in one piece.

Btw, why can't they just say "Carman's" or sth on the ebay storefront??
09-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well I took the plunge - I bought my K10D today! Woohoo! I prowled around Henry's and a few other places while in Toronto today and none have K10D's and the best price - if they had one - was $799.00. I paid $669.00 + $30 shipping (and of course the taxes - can't escape them.) I am really looking forward to learn the differences between my *ist DS and the K10D.

Anyway, thanks for all the positive comments about Carmen's and Prodigital, it helped me to make my choice to buy from them.
09-20-2007, 03:03 PM   #12
Inactive Account

k10d

Congrats j.scott... I just picked up mine (with a couple of lenses) here in the states and have been so amazed by the quality of the shots... even with the cheaper lenses... you can check out some of my latest photos here: Flickr: Photos from mitchkramez

Again, congrats! enjoy the new cam!
09-21-2007, 06:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Congrat's! Henry's here was sold out of the K10D when I went to buy as well. They had 2 when I was there a few days earlier. While I was there, the Pentax display was the busiest - they sold a Sigma 70-300, I was looking for a K10D, and a salesman was rummaging through looking for something for someone on the phone. I started looking online.....

I'm shooting the K10D & DS as well. Haven't had enough time to play with the K10D, but I've got a camping weekend in Algonquin coming up.
09-21-2007, 07:00 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davek Quote
Congrat's! Henry's here was sold out of the K10D when I went to buy as well. They had 2 when I was there a few days earlier. While I was there, the Pentax display was the busiest - they sold a Sigma 70-300, I was looking for a K10D, and a salesman was rummaging through looking for something for someone on the phone. I started looking online.....

I'm shooting the K10D & DS as well. Haven't had enough time to play with the K10D, but I've got a camping weekend in Algonquin coming up.
I think you will like the K10. I wondered at first because it is seriously larger
than the istD which I have---or any of the film Pentaxes that I have had over the years, but the balance is good particuarly with some of the heavier lenses around
09-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With shipping it would be $699 Canadian.
How convenient! For a little while the Canadian dollar and US dollar have reached parity to minimize confusion in comparing camera prices. I just looked up the exchange and got 1.003.

My wife's recent K100D purchase from B&H was way less then my K100D in November, and equal to my K110D in Spring. The "new camera coming" idea did apply, the Super was announced just before her purchase. Unfortunately the new model was so high it did not seem worth the minor improvements.